IGNORED

Happy St Georges Day

dafarms

To the Sons and daughters of St george, today is our national day, today is the day to stand up and be proud of our great country. To be free I give thanks to the fallen..To be born English I give thanks to God. Happy St Georges Day to all.

"If I should die, think only this of me:

That there's some corner of a foreign field

That is for ever England. There shall be

In that rich earth a richer dust concealed;

A dust whom England bore, shaped, made aware,

Gave, once, her flowers to love, her ways to roam,

A body of England's, breathing English air,

Washed by the rivers, blest by suns of home.

And think, this heart, all evil shed away,

A pulse in the eternal mind, no less

Gives somewhere back the thoughts by England given;

Her sights and sounds; dreams happy as her day;

And laughter, learnt of friends; and gentleness,

In hearts at peace, under an English heaven."

- Rupert Brooke

Happy St. George's Day all! :englandsmile4wf: :englandsmile4wf: :englandsmile4wf:

To the Sons and daughters of St george, today is our national day, today is the day to stand up and be proud of our great country. To be free I give thanks to the fallen..To be born English I give thanks to God. Happy St Georges Day to all.

I will be flying the flag of England proudly today, as on every St. George's Day.

"Cry, God for Harry! England and St.George!"englandsmile4wf.gif

On this subject i quote Bobby George:

englandsmile4wf.gif"I fly the flag every day, I love our country. Can't stand people who don't, who forget those who fought for our country. We used to take that flag into battle and people would see it coming. ?******* hell,? they would say. The English are here. They knew that we could have a row going back through history."

Happy St George's Day all.

Blimey, Bobby George is a bit intolerant isn't he? He can't stand people who don't fly the flag every day? What a silly man.

Happy St. George's Day to those who care. It'd be nice if people could simply express those wishes without bleating about PC brigades, liberals, foreigners or whatever at the same time. Maybe more people could join in, if it wasn't used as an opportunity to single out others.

No wrong , If you are going to quote things please make sure you get them right. It's called Patriotism mucker, won't find that word in the Guardian.

Also wouldn't it be nice if people could express their feelings, without some no-mark suspecting prejudice chucking their oar in.

Odd. If I've misquoted, I've misquoted your misquote.

Blimey, Bobby George is a bit intolerant isn't he? He can't stand people who don't fly the flag every day? What a silly man.

Happy St. George's Day to those who care. It'd be nice if people could simply express those wishes without bleating about PC brigades, liberals, foreigners or whatever at the same time. Maybe more people could join in, if it wasn't used as an opportunity to single out others.

Bobby George says above that he can't stand people who don't love our country, nothing to do with flying the flag every day. Seems a fair point to me - if they don't love this country there are plenty of other places they can go and live.

'PC Brigades', and anyone else who try to make us feel uncomfortable in our own country for celebrating St. George's Day by flying our flag, deserve every bit of stick we can give them, and I would hope as many people as possible do just that.

Proud to be English, and to fly the flag today.yes.gif

I praise the Lord for making me English. :englandsmile4wf:

His Excellency Oliver Cromwell himself often stated that the English are God's chosen people - and who am I to argue with God's chosen Englishman? :winner_third_h4h::englandsmile4wf:

Bobby George says above that he can't stand people who don't love our country, nothing to do with flying the flag every day. Seems a fair point to me - if they don't love this country there are plenty of other places they can go and live.

'PC Brigades', and anyone else who try to make us feel uncomfortable in our own country for celebrating St. George's Day by flying our flag, deserve every bit of stick we can give them, and I would hope as many people as possible do just that.

Proud to be English, and to fly the flag today.yes.gif

It's compulsory to love England is it? Doesn't it depend on other factors? Would you love England if it was run by fascists? Unfortunately, England to a large extent, is what ploticians make it.

I was just having a bit of fun about the flag. Anyone can love/like or affiliate with whatever country or place they want - anyone who says anything different sounds a bit totalitarian to me.

It's compulsory to love England is it? Doesn't it depend on other factors? Would you love England if it was run by fascists? Unfortunately, England to a large extent, is what ploticians make it.

I was just having a bit of fun about the flag. Anyone can love/like or affiliate with whatever country or place they want - anyone who says anything different sounds a bit totalitarian to me.

I love English history.....Ok, Richard Coeur de Lion (Richard the Lion hearted) was no more than a French aristocrat - that spent little time in England - but he did put England and the English people back on the map by leading us during the crusades. Our very own Bristolian Knights Templar based in Bristol were more than happy to be led by him.....:englandsmile4wf:....

Richard_the_Lionheart.JPG

I love English history.....Ok, Richard Coeur de Lion (Richard the Lion hearted) was no more than a French aristocrat - that spent little time in England - but he did put England and the English people back on the map by leading us during the crusades. Our very own Bristolian Knights Templar based in Bristol were more than happy to be led by him.....:englandsmile4wf:....

Richard_the_Lionheart.JPG

Gobbers, I love English history too and I wouldn't mind betting that I know more about it than most posting on this thread. England has a great history and a fantastic landscape to demonstrate this history. As you mentioned the Temple Church is an interesting attraction, but as far as I'm aware the old Temple grounds wasn't the home to any knights, but was rather an economic resource for funding crusades. Have you ever visited the Lord Mayor's chappel on Park Street - it's well worth a look. There are many things I like about England, but there are also things I don't. For that reason, I cannot give unconditional love and in all honesty I save that for my family and friends - they deserve it.

England, as I'm sure you know, has a fine tradition as a refuge for liberal and tolerant thought - where else in Europe could Marx, Lenin, Bakunin etc have found a place as tolerant as England? It's a shame this tolerance of diverse thought is daily threatened by those wanting to fly the flag and at the same time declaring that if you're not with us you're against us. That's not the sort of England I want to live in.

Gobbers, I love English history too and I wouldn't mind betting that I know more about it than most posting on this thread. England has a great history and a fantastic landscape to demonstrate this history. As you mentioned the Temple Church is an interesting attraction, but as far as I'm aware the old Temple grounds wasn't the home to any knights, but was rather an economic resource for funding crusades. Have you ever visited the Lord Mayor's chappel on Park Street - it's well worth a look. There are many things I like about England, but there are also things I don't. For that reason, I cannot give unconditional love and in all honesty I save that for my family and friends - they deserve it.

England, as I'm sure you know, has a fine tradition as a refuge for liberal and tolerant thought - where else in Europe could Marx, Lenin, Bakunin etc have found a place as tolerant as England? It's a shame this tolerance of diverse thought is daily threatened by those wanting to fly the flag and at the same time declaring that if you're not with us you're against us. That's not the sort of England I want to live in.

The Temple Church - as bombed by the German Luftwaffe - was home to the Knights Templar military order. I thought it was common knowledge that this church was once home to the Order of Knights Templar. Templar knights, in their distinctive white with red cross were among the most skilled fighting units of the crusades.

The Temple Church - as bombed by the German Luftwaffe - was home to the Knights Templar military order. I thought it was common knowledge that this church was once home to the Order of Knights Templar. Templar knights, in their distinctive white with red cross were among the most skilled fighting units of the crusades.

You misunderstand me Gobbo, I'm not saying it wasn't owned by the Order, it definitely was. If memory serves me correctly if was a grant by Robert of Gloucester (brother of Matilda). What I'm essentially saying is that there weren't any 'fighting' knights stationed there. it was simply a resource to be exploited for funding.

You misunderstand me Gobbo, I'm not saying it wasn't owned by the Order, it definitely was. If memory serves me correctly if was a grant by Robert of Gloucester (brother of Matilda). What I'm essentially saying is that there weren't any 'fighting' knights stationed there. it was simply a resource to be exploited for funding.

Perhaps it was more like a modern day British Legion club? I'm not sure but the Temple Church definately belonged to the military order. What is for sure is that the German Third Reich - by bombing the Temple Church and Ashton Gate - came to a very nasty end at the hands of another famous military order - the Soviet Red Army - as founded by Lenin and Co.

Perhaps it was more like a modern day British Legion club? I'm not sure but the Temple Church definately belonged to the military order. What is for sure is that the German Third Reich - by bombing the Temple Church and Ashton Gate - came to a very nasty end at the hands of another famous military order - the Soviet Red Army - as founded by Lenin and Co.

I think you have to imagine a few lay brothers stationed in the church etc, living a 'holy' life whilst also directing the peasants who were doing 'all the bloody work'.

Ironically, the Temple Church was almost finished of by the English. Safety officers after a night of bombing wanted to pull down the church because they thoguht the church's characteristic leaning had been casued by the bombing and was dangeorus. It was only informed locals who saved the day by letting them know that the lean was there before the bombing!

I think you have to imagine a few lay brothers stationed in the church etc, living a 'holy' life whilst also directing the peasants who were doing 'all the bloody work'.

Ironically, the Temple Church was almost finished of by the English. Safety officers after a night of bombing wanted to pull down the church because they thoguht the church's characteristic leaning had been casued by the bombing and was dangeorus. It was only informed locals who saved the day by letting them know that the lean was there before the bombing!

Indeed, the lean is that of Bristol's very own 'leaning tower of Pizza'. Apparently, the lean was popularly attributed to the foundations of the tower being built on top of wool-sacks but is most likely due to the soft clay marshy land underneath being compressed.

Flippin' Health & Safety !

Archived