IGNORED

David Eyres Wins The Vet's Vote!

brady bunch

After being one of Edson's and TomF's foot soldiers and running my pc overnight and all of saturday to knock up the votes, plus bombarding the BBC with phone calls and e-mails in the hope that Sir Brian would win, now that he has not and now that at least a Nationwide player won. I pass on my congrats to oldham and David Eyres, a worthy winner (as Tinman would have been).

Tim.

After being one of Edson's and TomF's foot soldiers and running my pc overnight and all of saturday to knock up the votes, plus bombarding the BBC with phone calls and e-mails in the hope that Sir Brian would win, now that he has not and now that at least a Nationwide player won. I pass on my congrats to oldham and David Eyres, a worthy winner (as Tinman would have been).

Tim.

Well, it wasn't won fairly, was it.

Thousands of you took part in our vote on Monday's Breakfast programme.

It looked like a tough act to follow after Gianfranco Zola won last year's award.

However, we received thousands of votes and Oldham's David Eyres was the overall winner.

There were some big names in the running - French World Cup winner Youri Djorkaeff of Bolton had lots of votes and there was also great support for Leicester City's Les Ferdinand.

But it's been the old guys of the Nationwide who've been clocking up the votes. Iwan Roberts of Norwich had lots of support and the Bristol City fans deluged us with votes for Brian Tinnion.

I'm sure the Oldham fan will come on here and tell us how they did it, but I suspect they have set something up to send votes from spoof e-mail accounts.

There is no way that thousands of people voted and Eyres came out on top in a straight vote. No disrespect to Oldham, but they only get 6,000 fans at home. Say 10% (working on the fact that this forum has membership equating to roughly 10% of our average home attandance) of those voted. That would give him 600 votes. Hardly enough to win a poll in which 'thousands' voted.

Funny there are no percentages or voting figures given either.

All very dodgy and devalued, in my opinion.

Guest Draktor

Edson i guarentee this was won fairly unless someone made a program this morning. I have got an exam this afternoon so i haven't been doing anything like that this weekend its been revising all the way. My guess is that people jsut got their workplaces to vote. It is possible to send them from spoof email but a bit of a bitch to keep generating and sending them. To send them you would ahve to generate the emails to get the number of emails needed like that. This one to my knowledge was fair and square.

I think we should hassle the BBC to put the actual voting figures/ percentages on their web site, after all they were prepared to show them during the voting.

Ok the oldham player won but to make it credible it should be proven. The BBC surely don't need a 'VeteranGate' enquiry on the back of the Hutton one!

Guest Draktor

mmm it looks like the order everyone was in except for Roberts beating Ferdinand, perhaps they took the votes we all had before aswell.

mmm it looks like the order everyone was in except for Roberts beating Ferdinand, perhaps they took the votes we all had before aswell.
No question. They took the easy way out and used the votes from before.

Archived