IGNORED

Gerken

Tins

On todays performance is he good enough to be our number 1 keeper.

Yes many mistakes were made by Nyatanga but Gerken wasnt talking to him. He himself made some errors and his kicking was awful.

Your views please

No he aint. 2nd half every attack, Gerkin make silly errors of one form or another. Ironic when you see some of his excellent stops.

I must admit I was surprised not to see HENDERSON play today. I thought he had done well, and I would have let him carry on to the end of the season for the experience.

Maybe SC has concerns and wants a look at him before the summer, like SAWYER and AGYEMANG.

i thought Sawyer played reasonably well today, made some well timed challenges.

great reflex shot stopper yes .......

command of his area is dire, his kicking is worse,

Henderson is way more confident in those two important aspects, and the defence seems more comfortable with Henderson behind them, with Gerkin, they have no idea if he's staying on his line, or coming for the ball ........

Henderson, has done nothing wrong, and should start next week

On todays performance is he good enough to be our number 1 keeper.

Yes many mistakes were made by Nyatanga but Gerken wasnt talking to him. He himself made some errors and his kicking was awful.

Your views please

Simple answer is no.

We need an established goalie who can assure our defence, he isn't near enough good to do that quite yet.

Ruthless or whatever, I wouldn't be sad to see him go in exchange for a better alternative during the summer. Wouldn't surprise me if Coppell brings in another keeper during the summer and lets Collis go, putting Hendo or Gerken on the bench (if he is still here).

It seems strange how all these outfield players of ours get constant slatings (on this forum particuarly), though arguably the most error prone player in our team doesn't get it that much.

He's a good shot stopper, but not a good, rounded keeper.

I must admit I was surprised not to see HENDERSON play today. I thought he had done well, and I would have let him carry on to the end of the season for the experience.

Maybe SC has concerns and wants a look at him before the summer, like SAWYER and AGYEMANG.

:yes:

Only one of the three worth it TBH. That being Sawyer.

I agree his shot-stopping is excellent but in all fairness all keepers should have that skill.

His communication with his defence is poor and his kicking is a little better than Basso.

I was impressed with Henderson when he deputised. He is not helped when Louis thinks

he can walk the ball out of defence with no one covering him !

I believe Gerken needs time, he came to us expecting to play second fiddle and was thrown in at the deep end almost, from what i have seen he has been fairly decent with the odd hiccup. With him still being young I reckon he still has time to develop and become even better for next season and really establish himself as a long term number 1. If we are looking into getting a new Gk, what about Kasper Schemiechel? (sp.) My housemate is a Notts County fan and told me that he is on silly money there (well silly money for league 2 standard) and reckons they wont be able to afford to keep him there. Reckon he would be a solid keeper for us, having already played at the highest level for man city, and still fairly young as well

I was very dissapointed that Henderson never kept his place yesterday, i never saw the S****horpe game but the other 2 games he did nothing wrong and for me deserved to keep his place, as for Gerken i feel he is an excellent shot stopper and has pulled off some superb saves throughout the year and saved us several points but his all round keeping is not up to it YET but he is still young and will hopefully improve with experience, the question being will he get a chance to improve as number 1 next season or will it be a posistion that Coppell will identify as needing inprovement. Personally i hope Henderson will get a chance to prove himself as either number 1 or as back up as he looks that he has the making of a very good keeper, he is commanding in the area, sweeps up behind the defence and his kicking is excellent as well, will this be enough to get him his chance only Mr Coppell will know

Give the guy a break, you cant really judge him on todays performance, given he has just come back from that pretty nasty collision. He has the ability to be a great keeper, you needs experience in decision making, which will come over time and with training.

I believe Gerken needs time, he came to us expecting to play second fiddle and was thrown in at the deep end almost, from what i have seen he has been fairly decent with the odd hiccup. With him still being young I reckon he still has time to develop and become even better for next season and really establish himself as a long term number 1. If we are looking into getting a new Gk, what about Kasper Schemiechel? (sp.) My housemate is a Notts County fan and told me that he is on silly money there (well silly money for league 2 standard) and reckons they wont be able to afford to keep him there. Reckon he would be a solid keeper for us, having already played at the highest level for man city, and still fairly young as well

Stick him on the bench ten or loan him out to a League 1 club. If not, then get rid, you can't gamble with goalies so much, especially when they're regarded as your number one!

Give the guy a break, you cant really judge him on todays performance, given he has just come back from that pretty nasty collision. He has the ability to be a great keeper, you needs experience in decision making, which will come over time and with training.

My judgment is given after a season. Can he really become a great keeper? That would be a strong word, great. He could become a decent enoug Championship goalie, but maybe after years of playing. Do we have that time if we want to become a Premiersip/promotion pushing side?

I think not.

Every team that gets promoted from this league have a very good 1st choice goalie. Not someone plucked from the lower leagues.

Gerken is a liabilty. He has won us some games early in the season with some great stops but the second half of the season he has been an accident waiting to happen in most games. Can't understand what Henderson did to be dropped and I echo people's sentiments that Gerken is fine as a back up keeper but clearly is not good enough to be our number 1.

I can see a new keeper being brought in as a number one with gerkin playing as a number 2 and Henderson going out on loan to an average league 1 club where he will be worked a lot and there for learn a lot and gain valuable 1st team expieriance, as much potential as he might have that's all it is at the moment and I feel he needs that growing up and learning time and surley we can't afford that to be at our expense. He is still very young and has every chance of becoming a top number 1 in the future and hopefully that will be with us. I would like to throw a couple of names about as to the sort of keeper I think we need and should be looking at recruting. How about speroni or paddy kenny. Not sure what sheff utd situation is with keepers at the mo but his year ban is up at the end if the season. He has great expierinace and undoubted quality and I think most would agree speroni is a class act and would be getable(pretty sure I just made this word up but seems to work I think) if palarse go down.

Gerken was signed as a no.2 and I think that's about right. Gerken's only playing no.1 because we lost Basso and Weale. I know he's young and may improve but he's prone to too many errors and we need a commanding keeper which the defence have total confidence in if we're to press on. Speroni's a good shout or Kelvin Davis (if we could get him) amongst others.

I also was surpised that Henderson didn't retain his place, as the goals shipped the previous week were as a result of the usual defensive errors, with ribeiro at fault for atleast one so I am presuming that is why he was dropped yesterday.

With regard to gerken - I do not understand peoples dislike of him. The only time yesterday there was a problem was when Nyatanga twice tried to gift his previous club an own goal. Any pass or header back to your goalie should be to the side of the goal, not straight at the net when the goalie has moved to the side of the goal where he was expecting it. Also Why did Nyatanga pass back to gerken from inside the 6 yr box when the ball was already at his favourite left foot and he should have put it into the dolman.

These defensive mistakes were not down to communication or command of his area, they were as a result of a defender not doing the basic school boy defending, which is why I believe fontaine when fit is a better option.

No he aint. hes a No 2 keeper, no more. Henderson is way better.

Another Steve Phillips in my book, good shot stopper but creates panic in the box with his lack of communication. I would love to see Westwood from Coventry but that is unlikely, Joe Lewis from Peteborough would be good perhaps in a swap deal for a few players that gary Johnson wants off of us, or fraser Foster who is on loan from Newcastle at Norwich.

Henderson should have played yesterday and against Blackpool next week. Sends a very poor message to Henderson that he was dropped after S****horpe. What else this season, do the coaching staff and management need to learn about Gerken? Nothing!

Personally, I much prefer Henderson. Much more in command as far as I can see, offering confidence to whoever the defence may be.

Now as Basso left, allegedly because of issues with the ex Manager and apparently the Chairman didn't want him to go either, surely with Coppell in charge that opens the door for him to come back. Most unlikely I know, but definitely the best keeper we have had for as long as I can remember and one that would adequately support a push to the Premier League. Otherwise, Henderson would be my number 1 without bringing someone else in

Personally I think Deano has done very well for us this season. Perhaps better than anyone could of expected, given the strange circumstances (re Basso) he was pitched in to. Granted there have been some momments of indecision, but I am not sure if that says more about the unsettled back 4 (or 3 or 5) or Gerken himself. For me he should start next season as number 1 and we should see what happens from there.

Archived