IGNORED

Citys Back Four 10/11 Season

internetjef

Sorry if this has been mentioned already but just noticed on Millens game write up on the OS that he was pretty much instructed to play a back 4 yesterday as that is how he and Coppel see us progressing next season

Therefore looks like it will be the end of the 5-3-2/3-5-2 wingbacks formation we have seen used in recent times

I know we have all asumed that Coppel would go to a 442 but this seems to be the clearest indicator yet that that will be the case, and at least a back 4 will be used !

Sorry if this has been mentioned already but just noticed on Millens game write up on the OS that he was pretty much instructed to play a back 4 yesterday as that is how he and Coppel see us progressing next season

Therefore looks like it will be the end of the 5-3-2/3-5-2 wingbacks formation we have seen used in recent times

I know we have all asumed that Coppel would go to a 442 but this seems to be the clearest indicator yet that that will be the case, and at least a back 4 will be used !

A back four certainly but it looked more like 4-4-3 yesterday with no right winger. If a back four is to work we are going to need much better central defenders. We saw against Cardiff and Donny how we were ripped apart playing 4-4-2. I guess most managers have a preferred formation but it helps to be adaptable depending on the players you have, the opposition, circumstances of any given game etc.

A back four certainly but it looked more like 4-4-3 yesterday with no right winger. If a back four is to work we are going to need much better central defenders. We saw against Cardiff and Donny how we were ripped apart playing 4-4-2. I guess most managers have a preferred formation but it helps to be adaptable depending on the players you have, the opposition, circumstances of any given game etc.

Good we won then playing with no goalie!!!!

fully agreed

however i wouldnt read to much into the rest of the formation other than the back four.

The OS suggests that Millen wasnt told what formation to play, just that it was agreed a back 4 should def be used.

So chances are Millem and Coppel were jointly responsible for the back 4, but millen was solely responsible for picking the shape of the rest of the team.

So im not suggesting we know how the rest of the team will take shape. But we do no it looks liek the end for wingbacks in any form

if we ever are going to get to the promised land i cant see us doing it playing with anything else than a back 4. can anyone name any side in recent history who have achieved anything in the professional game playing with 3 CB's??? theres probably one or two exceptions but not many.

Coppell is a manager who plays a style to best suit the players he's got. Apparently earlier in his managerial career (forget which club; maybe Palace) he played some whoosh ball because he felt that's what worked best with the players and budget he had at the time.

So my guess is his viewed our last few games on DVD and thought 352 with Campbell-Ryce at left wing back; 'what the ****?' (because to be honest although we've achieved a very good set results playing 352 we have been lucky on occassion and defensively still look shambolic) That's not going to work long term, let's get back to basics and see what the players can do in a standard 442 formation.

Archived