IGNORED

Tommy Casey

Only the older fans will remember Tommy, Played 122 games between 1958-1963. Tommy died in Nailsea in 2009 and i'm sure there was a thread created on the forum.

on Tommy's wikipedia page there is a great obituary (from the independent) I have to say it's just as I remember him. He played for Northern Ireland in the 1958 world cup.

Hard as nails defensive wing half (remember them) it reminded after the Savage thread from saturday about real hard men who could also play. Between 1958-1960 City's defence was :-

RB - Alec Briggs - Over 400 games for City, Hard and reliable.

LB - Mike Thresher - Over 300 games for City, Recklessly hard and volatile, Could have played at a much higher level, A great competitor. Who also ended up playing county level hockey after his retirement from pro football.

RH - Bobby Etheridge - Over 200 games for City, cultured fit player who could score goals (47) at a time when defending would have been his primary role. Also played county cricket for Gloucestershire as a batsman and wicket keeper.

CH - Jack Connor - Over 300 games for City, Died recently and there was another great thread about him, The words gentleman and hard loomed large in the thread.

LH - Tommy Casey - Over 100 games for City, Described as tenacious and tackles like a speeding bulldozer.

My god the amount of times I saw this crazy gang play together as a defensive unit and whinced at some the crunching tackles, This period may not have been a greatly successful period for the club, But opponents knew they would have to fight for every ball and also came off after 90 minutes knowing they had been in a game and it certainly laid the foundation for the 64/65 promotion and as a 5 to 8 year old during this era they were certainly larger than life heroes and with almost 1,500 appearances between them they were loyal.

Only the older fans will remember Tommy, Played 122 games between 1958-1963. Tommy died in Nailsea in 2009 and i'm sure there was a thread created on the forum.

on Tommy's wikipedia page there is a great obituary (from the independent) I have to say it's just as I remember him. He played for Northern Ireland in the 1958 world cup.

Hard as nails defensive wing half (remember them) it reminded after the Savage thread from saturday about real hard men who could also play. Between 1958-1960 City's defence was :-

RB - Alec Briggs - Over 400 games for City, Hard and reliable.

LB - Mike Thresher - Over 300 games for City, Recklessly hard and volatile, Could have played at a much higher level, A great competitor. Who also ended up playing county level hockey after his retirement from pro football.

RH - Bobby Etheridge - Over 200 games for City, cultured fit player who could score goals (47) at a time when defending would have been his primary role. Also played county cricket for Gloucestershire as a batsman and wicket keeper.

CH - Jack Connor - Over 300 games for City, Died recently and there was another great thread about him, The words gentleman and hard loomed large in the thread.

LH - Tommy Casey - Over 100 games for City, Described as tenacious and tackles like a speeding bulldozer.

My god the amount of times I saw this crazy gang play together as a defensive unit and whinced at some the crunching tackles, This period may not have been a greatly successful period for the club, But opponents knew they would have to fight for every ball and also came off after 90 minutes knowing they had been in a game and it certainly laid the foundation for the 64/65 promotion and as a 5 to 8 year old during this era they were certainly larger than life heroes and with almost 1,500 appearances between them they were loyal.

When you consider when Bobby Etheridge, Mike Thresher and Tommy Casey left City, Their replacements were Gordon Parr (almost 300 games), Tony Ford (171 games) and Gordon Low (over 200 games) and the only real replacement during this period was Terry Bush (162 games who either played up front or in defence) These 9 guys spanned almost 10 years and again committed hard men who could play.

cool. Can you relay on to us just how good John Atyeo was, from your memories?

John Atyeo was a very committed and intelligent man, Who could have played at the very highest level most of the top clubs wanted him at one time or another, He would probably have played far more than the 6 times he actually played for England, Had he moved on. John stayed at BCFC for 2 main reasons, Harry Dolman a chairman in a similar vein to our present chairman certainly sponsored John and also John knew that he would need a career outside of the short career of a professional footballer and BCFC/Harry Dolman allowed John to study to qualify as a teacher the career he did part time before his retirement and full time after his retirement.

As a player, He was naturally fit, He was brave (a major quality for a striker in those days) He had a football brain, 2 good feet (a fearsome shot) a great volleyer of the ball, He was great in the air (have a look at any photos these days of players heading the ball with their eyes shut, Not Big John always knew where the ball was eyes wide open), I suppose the Alan Shearer of his day (without the nasty edge Shearer had) John was hard but fair over 600 games never booked and 350 goals seems unbelievable that a player could score that many goals and put himself about and never get booked (I know the game has totally changed) but still remarkable in any age.

in his last game for City against Ipswich at Ashton Gate, He hit a hatrick City won 4-1, He left the field surrounded by fans in tears, He must have been about 36 years old. A real legend not badge kissing, playboy pussy like many so called legends these days.

John Atyeo was a very committed and intelligent man, Who could have played at the very highest level most of the top clubs wanted him at one time or another, He would probably have played far more than the 6 times he actually played for England, Had he moved on. John stayed at BCFC for 2 main reasons, Harry Dolman a chairman in a similar vein to our present chairman certainly sponsored John and also John knew that he would need a career outside of the short career of a professional footballer and BCFC/Harry Dolman allowed John to study to qualify as a teacher the career he did part time before his retirement and full time after his retirement.

As a player, He was naturally fit, He was brave (a major quality for a striker in those days) He had a football brain, 2 good feet (a fearsome shot) a great volleyer of the ball, He was great in the air (have a look at any photos these days of players heading the ball with their eyes shut, Not Big John always knew where the ball was eyes wide open), I suppose the Alan Shearer of his day (without the nasty edge Shearer had) John was hard but fair over 600 games never booked and 350 goals seems unbelievable that a player could score that many goals and put himself about and never get booked (I know the game has totally changed) but still remarkable in any age.

in his last game for City against Ipswich at Ashton Gate, He hit a hatrick City won 4-1, He left the field surrounded by fans in tears, He must have been about 36 years old. A real legend not badge kissing, playboy pussy like many so called legends these days.

That's a very fine and obviously genuinely heart-felt tribute to a quite remarkable man. I would second all of that. Well said 'Esmond'.

I was around age 13 or 14 when I started going to games regularly, which was 1960 or thereabouts. I can't remember how long John played beyond that, but I think it must have been several seasons. I saw him score in the game that got us promoted to the old Div 2 (i.e. the present day CCC) and watched him at the higher level until his retirement. I can't imagine anyone ever coming close to matching his playing record. His goals to games ratio over such a long period is quite astonishing.

He didn't come near Ashton Gate for many years after he stopped playing, but eventually, possibly after he had also retired from his teaching career, he began attending matches and by a coincidence happened to sit just a few feet away from my old ST seat in the upper Williams, so I even had the privelege of the occasional brief chat with him. A man of relatively few words (unusually, perhaps for a teacher!), but courteous to a fault, as well as modest and unassuming. It's become an old-fashioned and outmoded word, but in the language of his own era John truly was a gentleman. I think it a very fitting tribute that there is to be a statue of him at the new stadium. We shan't see his like again.

Thanks Esmond for those great memories, saw the team 1st in 1958 when dad took me down ( I was 7) became a regular standing on the wooden slats on the old Cowshed ( The Old Stand) and leaning on the old mans shoulders. Happy Days and glad to say I saw all in your posting. JA was like a god to us young un's.

When you consider when Bobby Etheridge, Mike Thresher and Tommy Casey left City, Their replacements were Gordon Parr (almost 300 games), Tony Ford (171 games) and Gordon Low (over 200 games) and the only real replacement during this period was Terry Bush (162 games who either played up front or in defence) These 9 guys spanned almost 10 years and again committed hard men who could play.

Proper footballers from the Fred Ford era EMB. Chris Crowe was a particular favourite of mine - along with Tony Ford played a leading role in that twice taken (and twice missed) penalty at White Hart Lane in that FA Cup game with Spurs. Terry Bush missed a sitter as well. Couple more names Lou Peters and Danny Bartley. 

Proper footballers from the Fred Ford era EMB. Chris Crowe was a particular favourite of mine - along with Tony Ford played a leading role in that twice taken (and twice missed) penalty at White Hart Lane in that FA Cup game with Spurs. Terry Bush missed a sitter as well. Couple more names Lou Peters and Danny Bartley. 

To be honest I always found Chris Crowe something of an enigma for us, on his day brilliant, but like most wingers didn't much care for the rough stuff, I always felt BCFC was his last hurrah, but I have to say he was a very amiable and funny guy and I still cannot help but chuckle at his hurdle over the animal Alex Munro's attempted 2 footed leg breaker, which only succeeded in breaking his own leg as he careered into the wooden pitch side seats in 1968 gloucester cup at AG.

My old man regularly reminisces about Mike Thresher, in his opinion the hardest bloke he ever saw play the game.

Rovers had a winger called George Petherbridge, he was a good player, but never ever had a good game against Mike, he said once 'my first tackle in a match on George, I would try to put him over the stand, I never saw him again'.

Es and Graham this is exactly what my old man was saying. Dad was saying Dad said he used to wince as Thresher went in but Petherbridge was never seen that game again. Dad has no doubts hardest player he has seen down the gate. Btw he loved your terminology in summarising that city defence......he was in floods of tears ofvlaughter about Petherbridge.

Es and Graham this is exactly what my old man was saying. Dad was saying Dad said he used to wince as Thresher went in but Petherbridge was never seen that game again. Dad has no doubts hardest player he has seen down the gate. Btw he loved your terminology in summarising that city defence......he was in floods of tears ofvlaughter about Petherbridge.

i'm sure I read another quote where as they were going off at the end of a game, Mike said to George 'hello George, I didn't know you were playing today'.

I remember once Mike was sent off in game, probably an away game, because I cannot recall witnessing it, god knows what he did but in those it needed to be akin to attempted murder to get sent off.

I don't think he was ever sent off playing for City, but he was sent off playing afterwards (for Chard Town?). He stomped off and refused to pay the fine. Eventually he had to pay it, so that he could play in his own testimonial ;)

Class player, hard as nails. Played Matthews off the pitch in the Cup against Blackpool, then asked for his autograph. I remember standing in front of the Cowshed* one very wet day when a sliding tackle left him with his feet through the railings. One wag in the crowd thought it was very funny until Mike got up and threatened to come over the railings. Said wag apologised very rapidly indeed.

* Cowshed - the Old Stand, replaced by the Dolman.

I don't think he was ever sent off playing for City, but he was sent off playing afterwards (for Chard Town?). He stomped off and refused to pay the fine. Eventually he had to pay it, so that he could play in his own testimonial ;)

Class player, hard as nails. Played Matthews off the pitch in the Cup against Blackpool, then asked for his autograph. I remember standing in front of the Cowshed* one very wet day when a sliding tackle left him with his feet through the railings. One wag in the crowd thought it was very funny until Mike got up and threatened to come over the railings. Said wag apologised very rapidly indeed.

* Cowshed - the Old Stand, replaced by the Dolman.

Perhaps it was another unpaid fine whilst at BCFC, because I remember that he was banned and the league even banned from entering the confines of the ground, there was a bit of controversy at the time that he had in fact defied the ban.

Don't forget Gibbo between the sticks - without looking it up he must have had 250+ games. Great servant and still is!

I always felt a bit sorry for the stream of reserve 'keepers we had come through in that period. Gibbo always seemed to play even when he was injured or ill. I think he would have got off his hospital bed to play if he had to.

To be honest I always found Chris Crowe something of an enigma for us, on his day brilliant, but like most wingers didn't much care for the rough stuff, I always felt BCFC was his last hurrah, but I have to say he was a very amiable and funny guy and I still cannot help but chuckle at his hurdle over the animal Alex Munro's attempted 2 footed leg breaker, which only succeeded in breaking his own leg as he careered into the wooden pitch side seats in 1968 gloucester cup at AG.

This was a famous incident in house, I think I was there (I would have been 6) but it may be that my father recounted it so many times I have come to believe I was. I do remember the performance that he put in against Preston which we won 4-1, it was a game that pretty much ensured our survival that season and Crowe won the game almost single handedly.

Perhaps it was another unpaid fine whilst at BCFC, because I remember that he was banned and the league even banned from entering the confines of the ground, there was a bit of controversy at the time that he had in fact defied the ban.

Back in them days if you received a ban for being sent of it meant you were not allowed to attend the ground for the duration of the ban. Could not even attend training which in those days was carried out at the ground.

He started off as an "inside right" but was then switched to the "right wing" which apparently he wasn't happy about. Ran a newsagents in Stockwood when he retired I believe. One of the few players in those days (before the play for anyone you like era) ever to be a full international for England and Scotland at schoolboy level.

I don't think so. If he didn't pay a fine in the Downs League, he'd still be barred from the Gate.

PS At least in principle - I doubt that it's ever been applied ;)

He started off as an "inside right" but was then switched to the "right wing" which apparently he wasn't happy about. Ran a newsagents in *Stockwood when he retired I believe. One of the few players in those days (before the play for anyone you like era) ever to be a full international for England and Scotland at schoolboy level.

!Chris Crowes shop was in *Hanham just down a bit and across road from Blue Bowl pub, (think its a chippy now).... we used to leave the Gate on a no9 bus to Hanham and by the time we got there the Green-uns were already in the shop, bought our papers and read about the match we'd just attended during our walk back to (dare I say it, to Cadbury Heath)... no B&Q's Asdas etc at Longwell Green then, just fields which we took shorts cuts across on way home. Cant believe where all the years have gone, best days ever to have been a fan I reckon, - (maybe bit of rosetinted glasses of youth though) but we loved it.

Archived