IGNORED

Reserves

Desso

I'm amazed Bournemouth even have a reserves and Eddie Howe has to be manager of the season. Bournemouth put out a very young side for this reserves fixture.

No particularly noteworthy performances:-

Henderson nothing much to do. I think he organises the defence well but I wouldn't want to choose between him and Gerken regarding who is the best shot stopper. I just get the impression the defence looks a bit more composed with Henderson behind them than Gerken - but both are still young and highly promising. I've only seen Henderson play well and be more dominant in the box than Gerken but I gather he was a bit shaky against S****horpe so maybe one of the keepers will be number two to a more experienced keeper next season.

Brian Wilson - hard working player and a workmanlike performance. I don't think he has enough quality to play full-back or wing back in the Championship regardless of his benefits in the squad as a 'utility' player'. Hopefully he has put his injury problems behind him and, if so, he would make a decent league one signing. I could see someone like Yeovil or Peterborough coming in for him.

Edwards, looks a promising prospect and had a decent game. Just needs to work on his final ball.

Ribeiro - the sign of class in any sport are those players who look as if they have more time on the ball than other players. He played centre-back today and that position doesn't allow him the opportunity to show all his qualities but he had a composed game. I hope he plays regularly and prospers in the first team under Coppell. Always uses the ball intelligently which, despite his qualities and competiveness, Bradley Orr doesn't. He's got a good attitude and is a team player as well.

Stripp - didn't stand out or do much wrong - most of the play was down the other end of the pitch.

Kington- right decision to move him on, I hope he finds another club.

Johnson - had a decent game before coming off. Good squad player for next season.

Sno - I love watching him and I like his attitude. He had a fair to decent game. He was up for this game even though it was a reserve fixture and probably at the end of his stint at Ashton Gate. Possibly he wants to stay here and perhaps he was putting in a good effort to impress Coppell. Like Rebeiro, he has time on the ball. He has such good control and the way he shields the ball and brings long distance passes down from his chest is a joy to watch. I always feel there is so much more to come from him. He's got a good shot on him and should score more goals. Sometimes when he loses possession it's not necessarily him but other players who are not on the same wavelength as him and fail to read his passes. Sometimes he takes up great positions but other players don't pick him out. He would be a great squad player and could seize his chance in an attacking midfield role. He will have benefited from having quite a few Championship games this season but if the wages are high then he is will probably be considered a bit too much of a luxury.

Sproule - perfect impact player against tired legs but he does not want to be just an impact player, so will he stay? He might stay given that, as a winger, he has to consider that Coppell can help develop his game and final ball.

Clarkson - unless he scores he doesn't really offer much in my view. Good attitude but whether he stays depends on if he is a Coppell type of player. I am surprised GJ signed him because usually he wants his forwards to be adding much more than goals - he likes to see them track back sometimes to the detriment of the team and the strikers goal-scoring record. You get the impression that GJ would prefer a grafter like Bas Savage to having one of the few recent decent 'goal-scorers' for City, Tony Thorpe, in the team. Clarkson isn't lazy it's just I don't see him as having athleticism and unless he can be a 20 a season fox in the box, which I don't think he can, then he is a bit of a luxury.

Akinde - I had high hopes after his goal scoring loan spell at Brentford but, having seen him a few times, I really don't see him as a championship player. City had most of the possession against a Bournemouth side that had some players that looked about 16 or 17. If a centre forward fails to make an impact in those circumstances then it has to raise doubts. I'd move him on to make a squad space for someone better.

Plummer - came on as sub and livened things up. Probably a bit too light-weight but if Wright-Philips can prosper so could Plummer. I'd have like to have seen him given a season under Coppell's guidance but, there again, he has hardly set things alight in his lower league loan spells.

Brunt - came on late as sub, lseemed to take Plummers winger position. Looked about 14, didn't have enough time to show what he can do really.

I'd be the first to praise GJ for his achievements in turning the club around. I have to say though, even though this was a late season fixture against a club with minimal first team resources let alone reserves, the team spirit today was noticeably better than reserve matches I have seen earlier in the season.

I'm amazed Bournemouth even have a reserves and Eddie Howe has to be manager of the season. Bournemouth put out a very young side for this reserves fixture.

Henderson nothing much to do. I think he organises the defence well but I wouldn't want to choose between him and Gerken regarding who is the best shot stopper. I just get the impression the defence looks a bit more composed with Henderson behind them than Gerken - but both are still young and highly promising. I've only seen Henderson play well and be more dominant in the box than Gerken but I gather he was a bit shaky against S****horpe so maybe one of the keepers will be number two to a more experienced keeper next season.

Brian Wilson - hard working player and a workmanlike performance. I don't think he has enough quality to play full-back or wing back in the Championship regardless of his benefits in the squad as a 'utility' player'. Hopefully he has put his injury problems behind him and, if so, he would make a decent league one signing. I could see someone like Yeovil or Peterborough coming in for him.

Edwards, looks a promising prospect and had a decent game. Just needs to work on his final ball.

Ribeiro - the sign of class in any sport are those players who look as if they have more time on the ball than other players. He played centre-back today and that position doesn't allow him the opportunity to show all his qualities but he had a composed game. I hope he plays regularly and prospers in the first team under Coppell. Always uses the ball intelligently which, despite his qualities and competiveness, Bradley Orr doesn't. He's got a good attitude and is a team player as well.

Stripp - didn't stand out or do much wrong - most of the play was down the other end of the pitch.

Johnson - had a decent game before coming off. Good squad player for next season.

Sno - I love watching him and I like his attitude. He had a fair to decent game. He was up for this game even though it was a reserve fixture and probably at the end of his stint at Ashton Gate. Possibly he wants to stay here and perhaps he was putting in a good effort to impress Coppell. Like Rebeiro, he has time on the ball. He has such good control and the way he shields the ball and brings long distance passes down from his chest is a joy to watch. I always feel there is so much more to come from him. He's got a good shot on him and should score more goals. Sometimes when he loses possession it's not necessarily him but other players who are not on the same wavelength as him and fail to read his passes. Sometimes he takes up great positions but other players don't pick him out. He would be a great squad player and could seize his chance in an attacking midfield role. He will have benefited from having quite a few Championship games this season but if the wages are high then he is will probably be considered a bit too much of a luxury.

Sproule - perfect impact player against tired legs but he does not want to be just an impact player, so will he stay? He might stay given that, as a winger, he has to consider that Coppell can help develop his game and final ball.

Clarkson - unless he scores he doesn't really offer much in my view. Good attitude but whether he stays depends on if he is a Coppell type of player. I am surprised GJ signed him because usually he wants his forwards to be adding much more than goals - he likes to see them track back sometimes to the detriment of the team and the strikers goal-scoring record. You get the impression that GJ would prefer a grafter like Bas Savage to having one of the few recent decent 'goal-scorers' for City, Tony Thorpe, in the team. Clarkson isn't lazy it's just I don't see him as having athleticism and unless he can be a 20 a season fox in the box, which I don't think he can, then he is a bit of a luxury.

Akinde - I had high hopes after his goal scoring loan spell at Brentford but, having seen him a few times, I really don't see him as a championship player. City had most of the possession against a Bournemouth side that had some players that looked about 16 or 17. If a centre forward fails to make an impact in those circumstances then it has to raise doubts. I'd move him on to make a squad space for someone better.

Plummer - came on as sub and livened things up. Probably a bit too light-weight but if Wright-Philips can prosper so could Plummer. I'd have like to have seen him given a season under Coppell's guidance but, there again, he has hardly set things alight in his lower league loan spells.

Brunt - came on late as sub, lseemed to take Plummers winger position. Looked about 14, didn't have enough time to show what he can do really.

I'd be the first to praise GJ for his achievements in turning the club around. I have to say though, even though this was a late season fixture against a club with minimal first team resources let alone reserves, the team spirit today was noticeably better than reserve matches I have seen earlier in the season.

yep I can agree with all of this ....

Sno and Johnson ran the middle of the park with control and ease ... We were sound at the back with ribs and always dangerous down the right with sproule ....

Your comment on Akinde is exactly how I feel ...

He just isn't the future of Citys front line ... Most of the game if any balls were put forward or crossed in it was always Clarkson in the right place ... Akindes touch was shocking in the first half, improved in the second but from the chances he had he just isn't a natural goal scorer...

All the one on ones he got into, he hit straight at the keeper ... I don't get the love in with him ... If he can't shine and score in reserve fixtures then there's little hope in the championship ...

G

Totally agree with your assesment about Sno. I really like him and wish he was given a decent run in CM but he never was under GJ.

Cheers for that Nick, probably the most comprehensive player performance analysis I've seen of a reserve match.

End of the season, new era, so time to be brutally honest on our thoughts of the capabilities of our back up players.

The club have been suitably decisive regarding Artus, Plummer and Kington. Now Johnson, Clarkson, Sproule and Akinde would be joining them if it was my decision.

Lee Johnson - he's OK-ish, sometimes better than that, but his continuing presence is too much hassle for him, the fans and the club, AND we've got far better players. Move him on, clean break for everyone's sake, and do it now.

Clarkson - quick of thought, but not of legs, and not a good enough goalscorer to compensate. If we couldn't make allowances for Trundle's shortcomings then there's no reason to do so for the less inspirational Clarkson. Back to Scotland for him.

Sproule - occasionally does make things happen as an impact player ( particularly recently of course) but hasn't really improved after 3 seasons. Seems to lack stamina and often appears knackered 10 minutes after coming on and seems to hang back to effectively remove himself from the action. Coppell wants to play with wingers so let's get a reasonably consistent 90 minute man in instead. Ivan sounds like he requires regular first team football and he simply hasn't done nearly enough in 3 years to expect that, or merit it, at AG.

Akinde - agree, I can't see a future for him at AG. If we were still in div.1 there would be more reason to look at him as a potential first teamer. This is the Championship though and he has done nothing to suggest he will ever score goals at this level. He needs to build a career at the likes of Wycombe or Brentford and see where that takes him.

Henderson, Edwards, and of course Ribeiro will all play games for City and will move up the pecking order next season. Never heard of Brunt and Stripp but it's always good to hear of new youngsters coming through. From what I've seen I'd have given Kington another year and Brian Wilson is a valuable squad player, with his best position being on the right hand side of midfield, where his stamina, link play and shooting ability make him a useful sub. and occasional filler -in.

Evander Sno definitely has much more to offer than we have seen under GJ - I hope he stays because he's a class player and I'd really like to see what SC could get out of him.

Archived