IGNORED

Congratulations Steve Mcclaren

Flaxbourton Red

Hear hear. Great comeback from a highly respected coach. Got the England job by default and too soon but could yet emulate Bobby Robson's achievements abroad.

I'd second that. Got a fearful going over by the media, too, a lot of which was unfair.

He has certainly proved a point to all those who mocked him unmercifully during the later stages of his time as England manager. I think he made a very wise decision to manage on the continent, because he would have been minutely scrutinised and criticised if he'd taken another job here. As it is, he has earned the right to manage in the UK again, should he wish to, but I wonder whether he'd do well to stay away: perhaps his footballing philosophy is better suited to working in Europe, and in Holland in particular, quite apart from the fact that he doesn't have to contend with media bias.

Well done Steve McClaren. FC Twente have won the Dutch Eredivisie.

great to see an ex-Bristol City player go on to win a foreign title.

Great way to answer all those "wally with the brolly" taunts from the press.

It still makes me laugh how strongly rumoured it was that he was coming to the Gate...rofl2br.gif

According to the news he's off to a top club in Germany next... perhaps he'll take over here after Coppell's reign..!?

To put his achievement in perspective, a Dutch journalist said it was like Birmingham winning the Prem.

Not really thoigh, the league is extremely weak, who won it last year? Az alkmar? And fc twente were already a top 4 team when he took over.

Though still a good achievement. He still talks like an idiot,

Not really thoigh, the league is extremely weak, who won it last year? Az alkmar? And fc twente were already a top 4 team when he took over.

I think the point is not the strength of the league (of course its weaker and has less money than than the big European leagues) but the relative strength and resources of Twente (who have to sell their best players every year) to the likes Ajax and PSV, which is roughly equivalent to the difference between somebody like Brum and the big four here. In that sense it is a considerable achievement regardless of the quality of the league overall.

In the case of AZ Alkmaar, there were mitigating factors- they finished 5th this season and were lower than that for good parts. Essentially their coach Louis Van Gaal who is a top coach quit to go to Bayern- and they replaced him with the thoroughly moderate Ronald Koeman who has mostly failed as a manager through his career.

Had they been able to hold onto Van Gaal, they would have got to the 2nd Round of the CL this year I would have thought, maybe with a favourable draw (i.e. CSKA Moscow) they could have made the quarter finals.

It is not an outstanding League though, very true- but certainly as others have said their budget is less than Ajax undoubtedly, probably others too. Oh and he did this having made a £22m profit in transfers over the last 2 seasons, apparently.

To put his achievement in perspective, a Dutch journalist said it was like Birmingham winning the Prem.

Yep, last time Twente won the Eredivisie was 1926. Well done Steve.

Hes also been linked with the Wolfsburg job today n all

Archived