IGNORED

Hopes, Dreams, Fear

luke_bristol

Given the manner in which we qualified, I'd be very disappointed in anything less than topping the group and a semi-final defeat to Brazil, Spain or Italy.

I don't expect France or Argentina to mount a serious challenge this time round, and given the time of year (Winter in SA) the conditions will suit us much more than the hot German summer (unusually hot) of 2006.

I still think we'll lose on penalties and will expect at least one major match changing decision to go against us :crying:

Well its never usually dull following England at the finals, you just know its more than likely going to end in disappointment but always some brilliant and tense moments along the way. I wouldnt be suprised if we lost our opening game then ended up needing to win our final match to progress.

No idea what the betting is at the moment but id put Brazil and Spain as joint favs, after that its wide open for a number of teams, ourselves included. Maybe the Dutch for a flutter?

Without Rooney we don't really offer much up front. I do think this is the weakest Brazil squad for years, France don't look great and neither do Argentina or Portugal IMO. Spain probably are strong favourites but they will have to play either Brazil, Portugal or Ivory Coast in the last 16. We have a good chance this time round but you can guarantee that a big name player will either break their metatarsal or get sent off in the Quarter Finals and we will go out!

i went on google and typed world cup predictor and went through the results one by one

I had us losing to brazil in the semi's.

I think Capello has said the semi final is the target (obviously winning it i the target but minimum expectancy is semi final)

Obviously we all dream of winning the world cup, but as coppello says, without rooney we are severly lacking in attack. None of our other forwards are good enough, we have good players but not on the international stage. We'll defo win group but after that is hit and miss.

If I was a betting man, which I am whistle.gif, I'd have stick at 10er on Germany and Holland to atleast reach the final.

Everyone are making Spain the favourites, but I dont think they have enough. I mean skill isn't everything, Germany never have the best squad but are nearly always there or thereabouts. Spain have never been in this position anymore so personally I dont think they'll win it.

If you take Rooney out of the equation then our striker force is the poorest i have ever seen in my England watching life time and must be a big concern to capello. None of our strikers in question bar Rooney even play Champions league football which is a pretty poor stat in itself.

Personally i think if we can get off to a good start and our big players start well then who knows. We need to get some momentum going and not just limp through the group with dull performances as we always seem too.

Considering we havnt got to a semi-final since 1990 then getting to the last 4 has to be seen as a sucess but we know what us England fans are like, anything other than lifiting the WC will be seen as a failure !

Holland @ 13 and the Germans/Italians @14 don't seem a bad shout. Never that confident about England in any major tournament but if all stay fit and keep there heads then who knows. Would be nice to stay in it for a while just to keep my mind off of city as I'm sure one or two exciting signings etc will be happening this summer

Quarter finals at best.

We have one decent striker in Rooney who is injured, the midfield is decent enough to get us through the early part but the defence and goalkeeper is seriously a weak part of the team going into the World Cup.

Terry completely out of sorts, Ferdinand has 13 starts all season, Cole injured as well and we dont have a decent right back (forget Glenn Johnson he's a liabilty) and we have a goalkeeper (James) who has just been relegated, Green who was almost relegated, Robinson who is prone to making howlers and Hart who has no experience of that level.

This is the worst preparation I can remember England ever going into a World Cup, hampered by injuries and players out of form.

England @ 6/1 is a joke. More like 20/1 behind France.

I would love it if for once all our players turned up and played together as a team rather than a bunch of individuals

if that is the case then i could see us getting to semis before brazil beat us. However i have a horrible feeling we will struggle against any half decent team all tournie, scrape into quarters and get dumped out there by a good side (who arent as good as us on paper).

As for winners its gotta be Brazil for me. Spain also a good shout. I have a horrible feeling that after argies have been totally useless and barely qualified it will all just click in finals and they will actually do quite well.

CMON ENGLAND! as long as we progress i will be watching 1st knockout round at glastonbury which should be quite memorable as well, with Muse coming on straight after. result

I would love it if for once all our players turned up and played together as a team rather than a bunch of individuals

if that is the case then i could see us getting to semis before brazil beat us. However i have a horrible feeling we will struggle against any half decent team all tournie, scrape into quarters and get dumped out there by a good side (who arent as good as us on paper).

As for winners its gotta be Brazil for me. Spain also a good shout. I have a horrible feeling that after argies have been totally useless and barely qualified it will all just click in finals and they will actually do quite well.

CMON ENGLAND! as long as we progress i will be watching 1st knockout round at glastonburywhich should be quite memorable as well, with Muse coming on straight after. result.

Ditto, would be good to get a load of city lads together.

Archived