IGNORED

Grimsby Drop

Avalonred

I was in Burton-on-trent on the weekend (in-laws) and we made the mistake of going into town at 2pm-ish. Riot Vans, police helicopters and umpteen other police vehicles all over the place.

Burton Albion were playing Grimsby and if Burton won it meant Grimsby were dropping out of the league for the first time in their 99 year history!

Final score was 3-0 to Burton, trouble at and around the Pirelli Stadium after the game.nono.gif

Very sad for them but that's football I suppose!dunno.gif

I was at the game in the Burton end stood along the side of the pitch. I think the ground design of the away end caused to some of the problems during the game as where the gangways were there is nothing to stop you being pushed out the bottom of the stand if pushed from behind. This is how a lot of the fans managed to get onto the pitch during the game. There were a lot of Grimsby fans in the home ends as the Burton ticket sales were pretty inept when they knew grimsby fans would be trying to get in the home ends. It was just pay on the day in the 2 home standing stands, with the odd id check on a few people with no advance sales to check where people lived.

As soon as the full time whistle went the grimsby fans rushed onto the pitch, were given half the pitch, but then did kick off on the pitch near the burton fans on the side as hadnt policed that bit of it. That was after a bunch of Burton Kids did start to run at the police line which got the grimsby fans going, the teenagers soon decided against it.

Was one of the best sights/efforts i've seen at football though, a Grimsby fan who was behind the goal in the Burton end ran the full length of the pitch during the 2nd half. He made it to the other end and just being allowed in after jumping the ad boards. No one even attempted to stop him.

Archived