IGNORED

"stevie Coppell's Bristol City"

surreyred

I have a mate who is an Ipswich Town supporter who lives in Zew Zealand.

We don't get to speak very often, but the other evening we had a very long phone chat about all and sundery. During the course of discussing the relevent merits of our teams I made the comment that having Coppell at the helm should raise the profile of the club with the press and TV. My mate responded that I should be careful what I wished for.

His reasoning was thus:- when keane went to Ipswich there was much more coverage about the club on tv etc. Which was great to start with, particulary him being so far away. But without fail every reference to the club was as "Roy Keane's Ipswich Town" being as if the club had not existed prior to his arrival, and would not matter after he went, and was only relevent because he was there. My mate is sufficently pi**ed of with this that he can't wait for him to go, so any coverage, all be it reduced, is actually about the club and not just one man.

This set me wondering if this is likley to happen to us and we become "Stevie Coppell's Bristol City" and the press are only interested in him and not the club, and if it does go this way is it going to become erksome.

after spending the last few years being "Gary Johnson's Bristol City" I've got no problem AT ALL....being Steve Coppell's Bristol City, give it 10 years I'd happily have us being called Jose Mourino's Bristol City

This is unusual, a negative post on OTIB? disapointed2se.gif

We appoint a top class manager who has taken two previous sides to the Premier League and who has stressed just how much he wants to get back and then all of a sudden, it's bad news!!?

I wish I could wave a wand to make us all glass half full for the next six months - how refreshing would that be?

This is unusual, a negative post on OTIB? disapointed2se.gif

We appoint a top class manager who has taken two previous sides to the Premier League and who has stressed just how much he wants to get back and then all of a sudden, it's bad news!!?

I wish I could wave a wand to make us all glass half full for the next six months - how refreshing would that be?

I think, if you actually read the post, it's a comment on the media obsession with celebrity

No where there is there any negative comment about our new manager, I hope he stays for a very long time and is very successful. It's the media constant hanging on the someone that is well known, rather than actually trying for anything insightful or different, in exactly the same way as you would be forgiven for thinking the only team in the Championship last season was Newcastle and next season Leeds

""This set me wondering if this is likley to happen to us and we become "Stevie Coppell's Bristol City" and the press are only interested in him and not the club, and if it does go this way is it going to become Irksome."

You seriously believe the above is not negative. huh.gif

Archived