IGNORED

Peter Osgood

The other day I was thinking about a game in either 1975 or 1976 (our promotion season) at home against Southampton, I think we may have lost 1-0 and need to post to get it out of my head.

Southampton played in yellow shirts and blue shorts, Well most of the team did, Peter Osgood wore a shirt that was severely faded and actually played a blinder, Every long ball was directed towards him he held the ball up and brought others into the game he was awesome. At half time City manager Alan Dicks complained stating that Southampton had an unfair advantage of being able to pick him out easier than normal because of his faded shirt.

So he was made to change his shirt for a normal coloured shirt and it made no difference, He was just quality all game. Peter Osgood was a Rolls Royce of a player, Who sadly died of a heart attack aged just 59 about 3 or 4 years ago.

it has always been suggested that the then Southampton manager Lawrie Mcmenemy used this as a ploy and knew exactly what he was doing when giving Ossie the faded shirt.

Ah memories, When footballers wore shirts a lot more than once and the kit man had to wash them.

The other day I was thinking about a game in either 1975 or 1976 (our promotion season) at home against Southampton, I think we may have lost 1-0 and need to post to get it out of my head.

Southampton played in yellow shirts and blue shorts, Well most of the team did, Peter Osgood wore a shirt that was severely faded and actually played a blinder, Every long ball was directed towards him he held the ball up and brought others into the game he was awesome. At half time City manager Alan Dicks complained stating that Southampton had an unfair advantage of being able to pick him out easier than normal because of his faded shirt.

So he was made to change his shirt for a normal coloured shirt and it made no difference, He was just quality all game. Peter Osgood was a Rolls Royce of a player, Who sadly died of a heart attack aged just 59 about 3 or 4 years ago.

it has always been suggested that the then Southampton manager Lawrie Mcmenemy used this as a ploy and knew exactly what he was doing when giving Ossie the faded shirt.

Ah memories, When footballers wore shirts a lot more than once and the kit man had to wash them.

I certainly remember the game? Was not Micky Channon playing up front with Ozzie???

I certainly remember Peter Osgood having an absolute blinder and instantly controlling anything and everything sent in his direction at any height any weight??

Must admit I cannot remeber the "faded" yellow shirt but it certainly could be true?

Ozzie a football genius from another era.

Very sadly missed.

R I P

I certainly remember the game? Was not Micky Channon playing up front with Ozzie???

I certainly remember Peter Osgood having an absolute blinder and instantly controlling anything and everything sent in his direction at any height any weight??

Must admit I cannot remeber the "faded" yellow shirt but it certainly could be true?

Ozzie a football genius from another era.

Very sadly missed.

R I P

Good grief! I'd forgotten that shirt!

I think we drew 1-1 though.

I too remember that shirt but in a different way.

Rather than faded, my faded memory tells me it was more of a "richer" yellow, darker in colour, moving toward a golden yellow. I think I put it down to acute perspiration rather than reading a conspricy into it, well, I was only nine.

Maybe I'm wrong because I also recall it being warm and sunny but I've just seen it was in February, Saturday 7th to be exact and as Slartibartfast says, it was a 1-1 draw.

I too remember that shirt but in a different way.

Rather than faded, my faded memory tells me it was more of a "richer" yellow, darker in colour, moving toward a golden yellow. I think I put it down to acute perspiration rather than reading a conspricy into it, well, I was only nine.

Maybe I'm wrong because I also recall it being warm and sunny but I've just seen it was in February, Saturday 7th to be exact and as Slartibartfast says, it was a 1-1 draw.

Definately faded shirt, I recall that perhaps it was unseasonably warm, 1-1 draw yeah that is probably correct as well.

Archived