IGNORED

Sunderland Fans

TimmerD

There has been lots of talk on here about the fact we didn't take our full allocation of tickets for Hartlepool, and I don't intend re-visiting that one.

However, watching the Sunderland v Palace game last night I was struck by the number of empty seats. The official attendance was 34,536 and according to the Sunderland website the ground holds 49,000.

For such an important game I am astonished that they didn't sell out, I was always under the impression that Sunderland had a loyal following.

Anyway, not sure of the relevance, just thought it was interesting.....

.....I'll get my coat :ph34r::huh:

I know I was thinking the same, I couldn't understand where they have gone because even the last time they were in the first div they were selling out or getting close but it wasn't even close. To be fair though 34,000 is not bad for a div 1 game.

The play off semi finals are increasingly a chance for TV to give to give millions of neutral armchair "supporters" the chance to see some close ups of young boys and pretty women in tears. They bear a close resemblence to a cup match where no cup is involved. They bear no resemblence to a league match. And penalty shoot outs bear no rememblence to a football match. We missed the first ever play offs by failing to beat Swondon in 1986. In those days there was alot of excitment about this novel way of being promoted. The next year we have 25,000 to watch us against Sheff Utd and 25,000 again to see us against Walsall. By 1997, 10 years later, the chance to sneer and laugh at the torture was on Skyt and we maanged a paltry 15,000 agsint Brentford. If we sell out against Hartlepool I will be impressed. People are gradually finding excuses not to come - we don't win promotion even if we win tomorrow; for those of us who go will suffer purgatory; and those who don't need to go (armchairs in other words) can relax somewhere with a pint and make easy comments. That's why Sunderland wasn't sold out and not selling out will be the pattern for the future for many clubs, especially the bigger ones which have been in playoffs many times before

Guest chimp choker

Last season Sunderland had many offers going on family ticket sales which meant say, a family of four could attend a match for about £30. Due to the enormous financial mess they`re in they have pulled all of those offers and find that although crowds are down, revenue is better selling fewer tickets at full price.

Sunderland is no different from any other club (including city)

They have die hard fans who go week in week out if thier top

of the league or bottom :huh:

They also have good weather fans who only go if the team is winning

or have a BIG game :ph34r:

But you will find most of their/our fans will be some where in the middle.

To most people in this world football is just a part of thier life

not the WHOLE of it

A bit late I know to be mentioning this now but I was astonished at the body language of most of the Sunderland fans. Even before the end of extra time there were Kids and Women crying like they had already lost. They sat there in complete silence, when they had 11 and Palace had 10.

I could have saved you all an hour in bed and told you they would lose that match long before the Pens came round :huh:

Considering what they were playing for I found it incredibly strange :ph34r:

Guest Boro_Holgate

Sunderland have had lower gates purely down to politics. If ever you listen to a North East football phone in they always say 'they will never go back until Bob Murray is out of the club'.

Good Luck tomorrow against our other North East neighbours

Archived