IGNORED

City Or Rovers?

Onthefence

I know its probably a bit of an old and faded topic but how many fans do City actually have in comparison to Rovers? We have taken thousands upto Wembley in the past and I have been at the gate in years gone by when over 35,000 were crammed in. Im sure the Gasheads will argue otherwise but I reckon City must have twice the support of the Rovers. Any thoughts?

Seems City have a few more loyal fans than Rovers if you take a look at www.fansareunited.co.uk anyway.

Dont know dont care, we took 40k to wembley so did they.

We play in a better ground, always have done

We play in a higher league and have done more so in over a hundred years

We have a much better chairman

We have more money all be it S L money

They for the most part have produced much better kids than us, and sold em for huge profits

We have tended to buy our stars, but many have been flops and a waste of money

Sure we have more fans than them but i would still love City if they had double our fans, and im from Gashead land

Dont know dont care, we took 40k to wembley so did they.

We play in a better ground, always have done

We play in a higher league and have done more so in over a hundred years

We have a much better chairman

We have more money all be it S L money

They for the most part have produced much better kids than us, and sold em for huge profits

We have tended to buy our stars, but many have been flops and a waste of money

Sure we have more fans than them but i would still love City if they had double our fans, and im from Gashead land

I must say, some of the talent they have sold on and claimed to have "developed" was bought in, in the first place ie. Jason Roberts, Barry Hayles, Jamie Cureton, I'm sure there are a few others.

Generally though, I would accept that they have produced a few more than us, but that's because they can't really afford to do anything else.

I must say, some of the talent they have sold on and claimed to have "developed" was bought in, in the first place ie. Jason Roberts, Barry Hayles, Jamie Cureton, I'm sure there are a few others.

Generally though, I would accept that they have produced a few more than us, but that's because they can't really afford to do anything else.

Holloway penrice Nigel martin, ellington, the chelsea kid whats his name?, im sure iv missed a fair few out, but yes your correct its a case they needed a good nursery to survive, a bit like Crewe

Holloway penrice Nigel martin, ellington, the chelsea kid whats his name?, im sure iv missed a fair few out, but yes your correct its a case they needed a good nursery to survive, a bit like Crewe

Not that I disagree in the main but Penrice and Ellington were brought in as well, not Rovers youth.

Wasn't Nigel Martin also bought from a Cornish club also?

He was similar to the way we bought Steve Phillips - we and they didn't exactly develop them from youth.

We've had bigger attendances over the entire lifetime of the two clubs - Fact!

We've played in the top division, they haven't - Fact!

Our average league position over them is lot higher - Fact!

We've won more trophies than them - Fact!

Our ground has always been better than theirs - Fact! (Not quite sure how I substantiate that??!)

We've appeared in more finals than them - Fact!

We've won at the old Wembley - Fact!

We've won at the Millenium Stadium - Fact!

We've never left Bristol like they became Bath Rovers - Fact!

We've never stolen a ground off anybody else, unlike them - Fact!

They're so thick, they adopt an insult as a nickname - Fact!

All their female fans have mustaches! - Fact!

I'm too tired to carry on - Fact!

We've had bigger attendances over the entire lifetime of the two clubs - Fact!

We've played in the top division, they haven't - Fact!

Our average league position over them is lot higher - Fact!

We've won more trophies than them - Fact!

Our ground has always been better than theirs - Fact! (Not quite sure how I substantiate that??!)

We've appeared in more finals than them - Fact!

We've won at the old Wembley - Fact!

We've won at the Millenium Stadium - Fact!

We've never left Bristol like they became Bath Rovers - Fact!

We've never stolen a ground off anybody else, unlike them - Fact!

They're so thick, they adopt an insult as a nickname - Fact!

All their female fans have mustaches! - Fact!

I'm too tired to carry on - Fact!

clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

I think rovers fans have been more loyal that city fans over the years.

rofl2br.gif

...... where city have a gate of 15.000 thousand lose three matches and it's goes down to 12.000

That's just dream numbers to the sags..... and it happens at ALL clubs (outside of the Prem, sometimes to them too)yes.gif

I think rovers fans have been more loyal that city fans over the years.I've seen it where city have a gate of 15.000 thousand lose three matches and it's goes down to 12.000

When did we last have a gate in the 12000's? I'm struggling to think of one.

When did we last have a gate in the 12000's? I'm struggling to think of one.

In the league it was S****horpe at home in 07/08 just after we got promoted and Trundle scored twice - 12,474.

Barnsley was close season just gone - 13,009

Question answered

Not really, you are making out that it is a common theme at Ashton Gate. The reality is that City have twice as many season ticket holders as Rovers have average gates. Hard to see where you get the thought that Rovers have more loyal fans.

Look i'm city through and through I can't help that. It's just when things get really bad down the gate.the amount of fans that stay away is Incredible.With the gas their attendance stays pretty consistent.when you think about the shit there served up

City have a hardcore support of approx. 6000-7000, however over the last few years we've attracted a few thounsand more to make the average a lot higher.

If the sh1t hit the fan, our attendances would drop to our core fan base, but that wouldn't make our fans any less loyal than the Gash fans - we'd just lose the floating fans.

I think its safe to say that we have more fans than Rovers - I do miss the Derby matches though. The atmosphere of a City Rovers match is unrivalled - at least from a Bristolians point of view. Two matches that spring to mind are the game at Aston Gate in the early 90s when City hadn't been able to buy a win against rovers for what seemed like years. It was 0-0 and Rovers won a penalty (late in the second half I think), which Ian Holloway then duly missed and Louis Donowa sprinted up the other end to score the only goal - The crowd went absolutely bonkers - like a pressure cooker exploding.

Then the match at Twerton Park when we both had virtually secured promotion in the second division and were fighting for the title. Memorable for the fact that me and a mate were stood in the Rovers end - on reflection it was a good thing City lost that night :laugh:, but it could have been different if Mark Gavin had scored early in the first half instead of missing a sitter. Im City through and through but id love to see Rovers in the Championship with us - if only for those Derby matches.

I think its safe to say that we have more fans than Rovers - I do miss the Derby matches though. The atmosphere of a City Rovers match is unrivalled - at least from a Bristolians point of view. Two matches that spring to mind are the game at Aston Gate in the early 90s when City hadn't been able to buy a win against rovers for what seemed like years. It was 0-0 and Rovers won a penalty (late in the second half I think), which Ian Holloway then duly missed and Louis Donowa sprinted up the other end to score the only goal - The crowd went absolutely bonkers - like a pressure cooker exploding.

Then the match at Twerton Park when we both had virtually secured promotion in the second division and were fighting for the title. Memorable for the fact that me and a mate were stood in the Rovers end - on reflection it was a good thing City lost that night :laugh:, but it could have been different if Mark Gavin had scored early in the first half instead of missing a sitter. Im City through and through but id love to see Rovers in the Championship with us - if only for those Derby matches.

When considering Derby matches, I always think of playing Rovers in the same light as England playing Germany.

There's the desire to beat the opposition by any means.

There's the fear that should the opposition win, you're in for an embarassing and devastating time ahead.

There's the excitement that only these sorts of matches bring (due to the intense rivalry)

I don't mind not playing Rovers as such, as I hate them with a passion. But even I must conceed that a derby match is an awesome experience. Whilst the most recent ones in the Paint cup were a magnificent let down, I feel sure that should City and Rovers ever play eachother again with the current management and playing staff we would be in for a much more lively affair than the negativity we saw last time.

I think rovers fans have been more loyal that city fans over the years.I've seen it where city have a gate of 15.000 thousand lose three matches and it's goes down to 12.000

can't see how anyone can say the Gash are more loyal when they average at least 1/2 our gates - surely that makes us twice as loyal!

'Holloway penrice Nigel martin, ellington, the chelsea kid whats his name?, im sure iv missed a fair few out, but yes your correct its a case they needed a good nursery to survive, a bit like Crewe'

the Chelsea player is Scott Sinclair but he plays for Wigan now

can't see how anyone can say the Gash are more loyal when they average at least 1/2 our gates - surely that makes us twice as loyal!

Depends on what league you are in. We used to average about 11k ish? in League One and I think the lowest we had was about 9k. The average for Rovers is about 6k in League 1 so you could say our support is about 5k better on average at that level.

Obviously it would be pretty hard to put an absolute figure on it but we clearly have a fair few more.

Archived