IGNORED

Where's Wally?

headhunter

The inspired form shown by the team under Keith Millen probably prompted SL to say you really ought to keep him on and SC being compliant and saying OK then.

Talking to a number of Reading fans it was evident that whilst they view Coppell as a Messiah they were apt to point out that a lot of his success could be put down to his backroom team.

We know that Nicky Hammond arranged most of the transfers and has signed a new Director of Football contract at Reading but will Pete Johnson's departure mean that SC will say I want him here?

But let's move on to Wally Downes. He has been at Coppell's side for most of his managerial career. Check out Wikipedia but in summary he was at Palace with Coppell from 88-00, followed Coppell to Brentford where he worked alongside him from 00-02 [then took over as manager when SC left] and then was reunited with Coppell at Reading in 04 until his contract was terminated 12 months ago.

Downes is quite a character which is what you would expect from someone who was a key member of Wimbledon's Crazy Gang. He is also seen as a defensive coach.

So do you think we shall see him at AG, if not right away then within 12 months. Could he work alongside Keith Millen? Can Steve Coppell work without him - we are talkking about a partnership that has lasted for almost 20 years not 20 months.

Will have to wait and see! I do think that some fans will think coppell will get us promoted next season and if that doesn't happen then all these little things about coppell needs his assistant and why didn't he take over the last few games of last season , where's his comitment blah blah ! I just hope the fans give him time, even coppell has admitted that if we don't hit the ground running the fans may moan ! Let's just hope we give him the time to work his magic

Archived