IGNORED

So Much For South American Dominance

The Batman

at the start of the week, the pundits and media were saying that South America were going to dominate the quarter finals.

Granted, Uruguay stuck to their side of the deal but Brazil and Argentina have been shown that team play is much more effective that individuals.

Fair play to Germany and Holland.

And with Spain playing tonight, i expect them to win, so that's 3 Europeans and 1 South American in the semi finals

Holland vs Uruguay

Germany vs Paraguay / Spain

(knowing my luck, spain will lose and it will be 2 Europeans and 2 South Americans)

at the start of the week, the pundits and media were saying that South America were going to dominate the quarter finals.

Granted, Uruguay stuck to their side of the deal but Brazil and Argentina have been shown that team play is much more effective that individuals.

Fair play to Germany and Holland.

And with Spain playing tonight, i expect them to win, so that's 3 Europeans and 1 South American in the semi finals

Holland vs Uruguay

Germany vs Paraguay / Spain

(knowing my luck, spain will lose and it will be 2 Europeans and 2 South Americans)

My God Germany were good. And just one week ago some people had the cheek to say the likes of Ozil and Schweinsteiger wouldn't get into England's starting 11...oh how things change!

The Germany Argentina game was a great game, and I found myself cheering the Germans on - they certainly won me over.

The play a good, clean, simple passing game and worked hard for each other - all you could ask for, really.

They are very young, apart from one or two 'old hands', so even if they don't quite make it this time, they should be absolutely frightening by 2014, and a great bet for Euro 2012.

I thought they were excellent today and I think I'll have a few bob on them to lift the trophy. Schweinsteiger is an outstanding player in the Beckenbauer mould.

Staggering statistic mentioned after the game - they've been in the last four ELEVEN times in the past 15 World Cups!

The Germans are an enigma. I find it difficult to admit they're brilliant, as every time I watch them the opposing team simply seems to go to pieces. i just don't get it.

All their players just seem to have so much space all the time. I guess they really just are as good as the statistics show.

Yours,

Confused

The Germany Argentina game was a great game, and I found myself cheering the Germans on - they certainly won me over.

I thought they were excellent today and I think I'll have a few bob on them to lift the trophy. Schweinsteiger is an outstanding player in the Beckenbauer mould.

Schweinsteiger was indeed outstanding to-day. He plays the role I would always have liked to see Beckham playing for England, using his stamina and passing ability to control a game from the centre of the pitch, not out wide in the conventional 4-4-2.

Schweinstanger my player of the tournarment so far. Outstanding.

On today's form Germany to win, no doubt.

Young, fit, playing as a co-ordinated, organised team, all knowing where they should be during game play, fantastic.

No wonder Chancellor Merkel was ecstatic.

Wonderbar !

Intrestingly the Germans have also looked the most comfertable with the new ball being used. No coincidence that the German league has used that ball for the whole of last season whereas other leagus havent.Obviously its not the only reason they look so good but i'm sure its helped them.

Intrestingly the Germans have also looked the most comfertable with the new ball being used. No coincidence that the German league has used that ball for the whole of last season whereas other leagus havent.Obviously its not the only reason they look so good but i'm sure its helped them.

fair play to them for that.

The FA and Premier League should have done the same. May have made a difference (i doubt it, but you never know)

germany have been absolutely devastating on the counter and have struck the perfect balance between youth and experience

they've pulled a fairly clever trick of using players from other nations, most notably cacau, along with convincing various polish players (klose, podolski, trochowski) who came to germany at a young age to play for the german side

while the players earn good money, there is hardly a prima donna in sight and the post-match interviews with the likes of thomas mueller show how down-to-earth they really are, whlie schweini is one of the most hard working and honest guys in football who has grown into his role as a midfield enforcer after having been used as a more left-sided attacking player earlier in his career

jogi loew is sensible enough to realise that counter attacking football and a disciplined back 6 as part of a 4-2-3-1 is his key to success, and actually, the injury to ballack has really freed them up to play a different style of football

germany rely on getting fairly early goals then punishing teams who commit too many men forward, and with the benefit of their pacy attackers and the winter break in the bundesliga (the fitness difference is remarkable) they burn aging defences on the counter. were spain to get their noses in front early, the real test would emerge and we may well see, as against ghana and serbia, that the team in these situations misses the drive and ideas of the likes of ballack. if spain work out how to stop the counter threat, thye may have a chance. mueller is suspended, and his likely replacement trochowski is more defensive, while the other option marin is a more similar player but not quite in the same league. without the pace of mueller, and the fact oezil struggles to finish within the box, this game could be very interesting

Holland and Germany have got this far because they have been consistent. Not overly amazing or poor, they have got the job done when needed.

As I mentioned to a mate after Holland won; It's not Total Football but Totally Efeective Football.

I agree considering Holland but as much as it pains me to say it you can't deny that the Germans have been fantastic. They've scored 4 on 3 separate occasions as well as putting 8 past England and Argentina for godsake!

I agree considering Holland but as much as it pains me to say it you can't deny that the Germans have been fantastic. They've scored 4 on 3 separate occasions as well as putting 8 past England and Argentina for godsake!

the Germans have been the team of the tournament. i don't buy into the tabloid headlines stoking up anti German talk every time we play them, its getting predictable and boring and i hope they win the world cup now they deserve it.

My God Germany were good. And just one week ago some people had the cheek to say the likes of Ozil and Schweinsteiger wouldn't get into England's starting 11...oh how things change!

At least Germany's defeat of the highly fancied Argentina team puts Australia's defeat by a similar score into proper perspective- and England's too, come to that.

Archived