IGNORED

New Signings

How about adopting a new system of signing players at BCFC.

Before a player is signed we get to vote in a referendum on whether we sign him or not.

That way we can all bring into play our vast armchair knowledge, or recall the one time we actually saw him play (either in the flesh or on TV), We can trawl the fans forum of his present club to base our opinion or speak to our mates mate who supports the club the said player presently plays for.

Sorted.

I have supported BCFC a very long time and what I learned about managers especially BCFC managers is that, When your hot you are hot, Virtually every decision you make works, Virtually every signing you make (how ever the fans might feel at the time) works.

Allied with that you can almost always isolate the moment when it all starts going wrong.

Let me start with Alan Dicks, When he took over at BCFC in 1967, We were already in a precarious position and pretty much from day 1, Anything that could go wrong did go wrong and he signed John Galley (few if any of us had ever heard of him) first game away I believe at Huddersfield we win 3-0 and Big John scores a hatrick, From that moment on things improved season by season, Dick's isolated moment, 7 year contract for Clive Whitehead and other long contracts in 1980 and the quality of his signings and decision making started to fail him.

Joe Jordan his magic touch was phenomenal, He signed Mark Gavin and Robbie Turner both considered talented but totally unfullfilled and troublesome. Big Robbie had the added burden of being an ex gashead and I can't think of many fans I know who were best pleased, The football at times that season was scintillating and both these players played a huge part, As did one Sir Bob Taylor (another inspired Jordan signing) who many at the time thought was overpriced. Jordans isolated moment (well 2 actually) Sir Bobs injury during the run in and the gutless dicking from the gas at Trumpton that cost us the title and about 4 years of piss taking.

Wilson will always be defined by his failure to play Lita and the gutless play off final. But for me the rot had set at the end of the previous season and the players he brought in for the new season were very poor and the team had become unmotivated, passionless and lacking in belief.

GJ, Well the rot set in at the play off final and pretty much after that, Everything he did (that once worked) failed to work again, Panic set in, Judgement on signings especially loaners, tactics, team selections and substitutes over a 2 year period sealed his fate, But strangely I seem to recall that the signing of LJ was universally greeted with great joy and expectation, I don't recall too many dissenters.

So I always look at it this way, Until things start to wrong trust the manager's judgement and don't judge players until they have played a few games, I seem to recall we tried to sign a certain Ian Baird over an 18 month period not 1 but 2 different managers (this was never universally greeted with a lot of enthusiasm) But when we did finally sign him, I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt, Because it was Joe Jordan who first showed an interest in him, Crap I was wrong there, But I would have been wrong about Gavin and Turner.

Opinions are fine, But based on knowledge and not hearsay or Mystic Meg moments.

How about adopting a new system of signing players at BCFC.

Before a player is signed we get to vote in a referendum on whether we sign him or not.

That way we can all bring into play our vast armchair knowledge, or recall the one time we actually saw him play (either in the flesh or on TV), We can trawl the fans forum of his present club to base our opinion or speak to our mates mate who supports the club the said player presently plays for.

Sorted.

Why would we want to sign an armchair?

I have supported BCFC a very long time and what I learned about managers especially BCFC managers is that, When your hot you are hot, Virtually every decision you make works, Virtually every signing you make (how ever the fans might feel at the time) works.

Allied with that you can almost always isolate the moment when it all starts going wrong.

Let me start with Alan Dicks, When he took over at BCFC in 1967, We were already in a precarious position and pretty much from day 1, Anything that could go wrong did go wrong and he signed John Galley (few if any of us had ever heard of him) first game away I believe at Huddersfield we win 3-0 and Big John scores a hatrick, From that moment on things improved season by season, Dick's isolated moment, 7 year contract for Clive Whitehead and other long contracts in 1980 and the quality of his signings and decision making started to fail him.

Joe Jordan his magic touch was phenomenal, He signed Mark Gavin and Robbie Turner both considered talented but totally unfullfilled and troublesome. Big Robbie had the added burden of being an ex gashead and I can't think of many fans I know who were best pleased, The football at times that season was scintillating and both these players played a huge part, As did one Sir Bob Taylor (another inspired Jordan signing) who many at the time thought was overpriced. Jordans isolated moment (well 2 actually) Sir Bobs injury during the run in and the gutless dicking from the gas at Trumpton that cost us the title and about 4 years of piss taking.

Wilson will always be defined by his failure to play Lita and the gutless play off final. But for me the rot had set at the end of the previous season and the players he brought in for the new season were very poor and the team had become unmotivated, passionless and lacking in belief.

GJ, Well the rot set in at the play off final and pretty much after that, Everything he did (that once worked) failed to work again, Panic set in, Judgement on signings especially loaners, tactics, team selections and substitutes over a 2 year period sealed his fate, But strangely I seem to recall that the signing of LJ was universally greeted with great joy and expectation, I don't recall too many dissenters.

So I always look at it this way, Until things start to wrong trust the manager's judgement and don't judge players until they have played a few games, I seem to recall we tried to sign a certain Ian Baird over an 18 month period not 1 but 2 different managers (this was never universally greeted with a lot of enthusiasm) But when we did finally sign him, I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt, Because it was Joe Jordan who first showed an interest in him, Crap I was wrong there, But I would have been wrong about Gavin and Turner.

Opinions are fine, But based on knowledge and not hearsay or Mystic Meg moments.

I'm 100% behind our manager and I feel he's a terrific appointment. If Cisse signs I'll give him a full season before I pass judgement. But my initial feelings are that I'm not impressed and that I'm not confident with this particular signing.....

Is this not fair?

My question for you is, Have you been happy with very signing city have ever made and never had any doubts? I'm sure you have.

I'm 100% behind our manager and I feel he's a terrific appointment. If Cisse signs I'll give him a full season before I pass judgement. But my initial feelings are that I'm not impressed and that I'm not confident with this particular signing.....

Is this not fair?

My question for you is, Have you been happy with very signing city have ever made and never had any doubts? I'm sure you have.

and my answer is of course not, But I need to make my own mind up over a period of time and hope (as a BCFC fan hope very important part of the process) that the player will prove me wrong, Because my vanity comes second to BCFC everytime, I don't and have never wanted to be right, I would rather be wrong because if I am wrong BCFC are successful and because when City lose even at my age it ruins my week, So opinion is the differing opinion you and I hold over Bradley Orr, Now that is opinion yours and mine not hearsay or feelings.

Whilst on the subject of opinion, Recent OTIB opinion:- Last season after a pre-season 'exhibition' game against Ajax the general opinion was what a great player Evander Sno is, if only we could sign him, Well we did and what a waste of money that was and bearing in mind that Celtic fans voted him the worst player ever to wear the famous hoops, So was that general opinion, believing your eyes or ignoring bad reviews when it suits the argument and also in the same week we signed Saborio prompting one regular poster to claim to the world we'll win this league by 10 points and the opinion from the viewing public in Saborio's first game at Coventry was, We have unearthed a diamond here.

ooops.

I think we all have views on signings and potential signing. These can be formed by seeing the player playing for his previous/current team or from opinions of their fans in person or on foums such as this and I'm sure other supporters come on here if thier club is linked with one of our player. First impressions and gut feelings are natural but the more prudent posters keep that opinion to themselves until such time as they have wittnessed the guy play for us.

Given SC signed him initially for Reading it figures if he does resign him he knows how to get the best out of him. You see our tactics may suit a player who appears mediocre to the uneducated eye. During GJ's reign I often read about how proven goal scores failed under his leadership, so going by this a large degree of any players success is down to the manager and his tactics. Whoever SC signs he will sign them for a reason and know how they will fit into his team. So I for one will keep my gut feeeling to myself until I have good reason share them or accept I was wrong (good or bad). Just remember SC has been there and done that at this level and beyond unlike GJ (that isn't knocking GJ who I have great respect for).

I think we all have views on signings and potential signing. These can be formed by seeing the player playing for his previous/current team or from opinions of their fans in person or on foums such as this and I'm sure other supporters come on here if thier club is linked with one of our player. First impressions and gut feelings are natural but the more prudent posters keep that opinion to themselves until such time as they have wittnessed the guy play for us.

Given SC signed him initially for Reading it figures if he does resign him he knows how to get the best out of him. You see our tactics may suit a player who appears mediocre to the uneducated eye. During GJ's reign I often read about how proven goal scores failed under his leadership, so going by this a large degree of any players success is down to the manager and his tactics. Whoever SC signs he will sign them for a reason and know how they will fit into his team. So I for one will keep my gut feeeling to myself until I have good reason share them or accept I was wrong (good or bad). Just remember SC has been there and done that at this level and beyond unlike GJ (that isn't knocking GJ who I have great respect for).

funny old game saborio had a blinder at coventry,i must say i thought we had a diamond at the time,sadly it was a false dawn.

Archived