IGNORED

The Six People That May Have Destroyed Our Dream, And Bristols Future...

Luke_Ciderhead

Simon Rayner

Pete Levy

Jos Clark

Fi Hance

Chryl Ann

Derek Pickup.

Lets remember these names people.... Hopefully we can make our feelings known to them, and succesfully get the decision overturned via appeal.

Fair play to Lesley Alexander and Kevin Quarterly for voting in favour.

Don't forget George Ferguson. Anyone see his his interview on the BBC news tonight? What an idiot.

Yup, looking forward to seeing ol' Red Trousers around BS3...I bet he will hide for a while if he knows how people feel about him. We don't want you, you won't get us!

MM

Simon Rayner

Pete Levy

Jos Clark

Fi Hance

Chryl Ann

Derek Pickup.

Lets remember these names people.... Hopefully we can make our feelings known to them, and succesfully get the decision overturned via appeal.

I'd like to know what experience and qualifications these people have in planning.

They must have loads to over turn qualified planners who advised them to approve this.

Simon Rayner

Pete Levy

Jos Clark

Fi Hance

Chryl Ann

Derek Pickup.

Interesting who these jokers represent - I mean they wouldn't be putting their own cheap political vote grabbing chances before a £260 regeneration scheme benefit for Bristol not to mention the 400 jobs. After all a couple of those eco organic deli stores in North St. they all were so concerned about will probably generate 4 or possibly even 5 jobs!.

Lets just look at who the objectors ( who were so concerned about the impact on SOUTH Bristol) REPRESENT.

The 4 objectors

Simon Rayner -------Kingsweston

Pete Levy ---------HORFIELD

Fi Hance ----------- Redland

Chryl Ann ----------HORFIELD

So all in NORTH Bristol and surprise surprise 2 represent HORFIELD who are no doubt playing up to the voters in the GASHEAD community they represent and didn't want to be seen to be "helping" Bristol City ---- no no I'm wrong it's all about the air pollution wasn't it

Abstained

Derek Pickup------ Hartcliffe (Labour)

Jos Clark ---------- Hengrove (Lib-Dem)

These 2 should be ASHAMED to say they represent SOUTH Bristol - how can they look their communities in the eye and say they turned down 400 Sainsbury jobs, plus - at the new stadium /arena 100's of construction jobs, hotel jobs, service jobs , security jobs retail jobs,,etc etc

Total total muppets - I could accept a defeat based on reasoned debate if it truly was for the benefit of the community to turn down the application - but it wasn't, it was about petty little amateurs wanting to "show" big business "who runs Bristol" and screw the residents they claim to represent..

The guy who complained about the car park on the grounds that a terrorist could drive a car bomb in there just about summed up the pathetic level of debate - so presumably he wants to close down Ikea, The Mall, the Galleries, Cabot Circus, Temple Meads, every multi story car park,, every school car park, every workplace car park, The council car park etc etc in Bristol on the same grounds ??? What a complete idiot - and he's shaping the development of OUR City.

CR

"destroyed our dream"?

Is this right?

My understanding was that by raising £50M by selling Hargreaves Lansdown shares, the Chairman had raised the money to build the stadium.

These funds could be used as a bridging operation, so that selling Ashton Gate was not necessary in the short term - though obviously SL would recoup his funds as soon as possible when AG is sold.

Is this wrong?

The one who said about terrorism actually voted in favour.

Cllr Alexander wants to talk about crime. She is concerned about the store being on stilts and she can see there are alot of dark areas for assault [???]. She wants anti-terrorism notices and warnings.

Anti-terrorism notices? What like "No terrorism between the hours of 8am and 6pm"? That sort of thing?

"destroyed our dream"?

Is this right?

My understanding was that by raising £50M by selling Hargreaves Lansdown shares, the Chairman had raised the money to build the stadium.

These funds could be used as a bridging operation, so that selling Ashton Gate was not necessary in the short term - though obviously SL would recoup his funds as soon as possible when AG is sold.

Is this wrong?

I`ve kept my powder dry for a while but this is just too ridiculous to be ignored. Not your post m8, just the whole shameful episode. I`ve not lived in Bristol for nearly 30 yrs now but if i still was, i`d be camped on college green waiting for answers. Not because it`s about BCFC, but because as so many have pointed out, it`s about Bristol, the City that these muppets were elected to represent.

TBH though, just how far do we expect SL to reach into his own pockets ? If he was to do more, then fair play to him, but i certainly don`t think he`s obliged to. If it was me it would be a coin toss, 2 fingers to the council and fund the stadium myself and leave AG with the gates locked and the weeds running riot or i would just pull the plug completely. I know which one i would be leaning towards too.

PDG

"destroyed our dream"?

Is this right?

Is this wrong?

I don't think we should expect SL to use all his money to fund it - simply because he does have the cash.

Presumably he wants to leave some of it to his family etc.

The project needs to stand on it's own funding wise and make business sense. I'm not comfortable with us relying on one super rich owner (see premier league for details!). What happens if SL dies in a plane crash?

For me the issue is that the 4 councillors were prepared to sacrifice hundreds of jobs, hundreds of new homes, and £260MILLION of revenue generated for Bristol

on the spurious issue of a bit of extra traffic and the impact on a few shops on North St. Bigger Picture????

Having said that SL probably will look at an alternative scenario - the problem is whatever is proposed for the AG site will have to get the approval

of these jokers. Sainsbury could decide not to procede and take the view that (as no supermarket can be built on AG) they have monopoly over the area and

stay put and maybe expand their current site

The problem is now the councillors are taking the view : We've got rid of Sainsburys - now WE can decide what to do with the site.

I wouldn't blame SL if he says enoughs enough

CR

What gives anyone in this position the right to abstain?

Shocking.

Exactly my opinion too. I guess these people have been hand picked as they are the most experienced to decide these matters, or at least thats what the panel should consist of. How they can 'bottle out' of stating their opinion, or be undecided after debating and having all the facts and figures and months to study them is beyond me. They simply aren't up to the job.

I really can't decide if I am more angry at the verdict or embarrised to be Bristolian by association with the council at the moment.

Cllr Alexander wants to talk about crime. She is concerned about the store being on stilts and she can see there are alot of dark areas for assault [???]. She wants anti-terrorism notices and warnings.

Anti-terrorism notices? What like "No terrorism between the hours of 8am and 6pm"? That sort of thing?

:clapping::rofl2br:

This is my Email to Derek Pickup.

' You're having a laugh, 400 jobs thrown away because you and your gutless colleges didn't have the balls to stand up to the pc nimby brigade, some of the arguments stated last night were absolutely pathetic, your own planners recomended it! Makes me laugh when you councillors were debating buses going into the Sainsburys carpark, over reliance on cars etc, pity your colleges didn't think of this when taking away a bus service altogether from my area, HIghridge! (552). Still, being disabled maybe I could cycle to Asda. You had a chance to put Bristol on the map and you blew it, is it any wonder this city lacks modern success stories when we have councillors who live in the dark ages. '

Yours sincerely gutted by the actions of a few Steve Langley. ( A disapointed South Bristolian )

This is my Email to Derek Pickup.

' You're having a laugh, 400 jobs thrown away because you and your gutless colleges didn't have the balls to stand up to the pc nimby brigade, some of the arguments stated last night were absolutely pathetic, your own planners recomended it! Makes me laugh when you councillors were debating buses going into the Sainsburys carpark, over reliance on cars etc, pity your colleges didn't think of this when taking away a bus service altogether from my area, HIghridge! (552). Still, being disabled maybe I could cycle to Asda. You had a chance to put Bristol on the map and you blew it, is it any wonder this city lacks modern success stories when we have councillors who live in the dark ages. '

Yours sincerely gutted by the actions of a few Steve Langley. ( A disapointed South Bristolian )

I fully appreciate the sentiment of this e-mail, Steve, but sending angry and abusive ("balls", "gutless", etc). My experience of working with councillors and their ilk is that they have consdiderable egos which need to be pandered to - so a better approach would be to ask them on what grounds they objected, explain that you don't fee that this the reasons for rejection are reasonable, etc.

Getting angry may make you feel better, but directing it in a unfocused way at a councillor will simply reinforce the view that all you care about is City, not the local population, and that you are not seeing "the bigger picture" which no doubt the councillor considers that (s)he does.

I fully support you in making your feelings known, but it needs to be channelled. City and Sainsbury's will make an appeal, they've been here before. What is needed is a united front, with a common voice - pick on some key, strong and positive messages, repeat them often enough and you'll get some progress.

In the case of the councillor's from Horfield, well we all know what's going on there, but they need to see the bigger picture for Bristol. However, they have a right to a voice, don't dismiss them.

I hereby end my pious little lecture - feel free to tell me to go and stick it - but I've recently tried the above approach with my (Buckinghamshire) councillor and it worked a treat.

Is there not a potential 'conflict of interest' situation with these Horfield Councillors? They represent a ward with a 'Football Club' (loosely described as) that are rivals, commercially and otherwise. Their constituents are predominantly anti-City and would oppose decisions advancing City's interests - being perceived to predujice those of their own Club (well documented). The Councillors, one could perhaps speculate to suggest, would not be acting in their own interests to support an application that might possibly damage their chances of re-election.

Might even raise the issue with the Democratic Services Officer myself.

Null and void vote!

That is quite remarkable. She actually said that?.. I know councillors are a random bunch of the general public who fancy their time in 'serving' their community but it strikes me the entire apparatus that elects such blindingly unqualified people to sit and make crucial decisions and then remarks such as these needs tearing up and starting again.

I think if i was running a council as important as Bristol i would want a system whereby there is a lot more checks and balances by a voluntary executive board pulled together by the Bristol Chamber of Commerce for want of a better organisation who would be elected by the same body and would sit only when there are important oversight decisions to be made that would fundamentally impact on the city. it would automatically trigger their meeting if a unanimous decision cannot be reached by the councillors. This board would have the right to veto their decision but not necessarily the power to overrule it. This would force the council to sit for longer until they have a unanimous decision or they would need to sit again and take another vote. You might argue that they might simply reject it in totality. The reasons for refusal would have to be fundamental to overhwhelming disagreement by local residents but not, out of hand, on a design or useage of site issue.

Probably in dreamland but this is pretty much how it works in the States and things get done.

For the immediate problem of the rejection it is clearly a major blow but not the end of the road. There are a number of other options such as appeal, change of design, change of use for example perhaps none of which will result in such a level of return.

The terrorist remark really is pathetic i have to agree. Bit like when you go through airports.. if a terrorist wants to get through he will regardless of what one does so why make life a complete misery and, in this case, utterly lamentable as well. Oh for a dictatorship; Cuba will welcome the BCFC brand with open arms!!!

Come on Steve... don't give up now.. you are 3/4 the way there and this is a hiccup, yes, but not insurmountable. I just hope it does not distract from the SC era and the optimism for the new season.

To be gutted is not the word,Sitting back and watching that meeting was like watching a load of stand up comedians in one room,How pathetic can they be and to come out with comments like they did makes me wonder why these people are allowed in the room,

I really think its time for us city fans to make are feelings known and everyone in bristol to push this,Its all about regeneration of the area,new jobs,better roads,more facilites and look what they have done..

Im from outside bristol and theres plenty of places tht have had new stores put in and its changed the one area totally without affecting any other businesses.

These people are a complete joke...They went on about the air pollution..well i bet they are the first people to jump on a plane..All a load of political crap!!

You reds.

Don't forget George Ferguson. Anyone see his his interview on the BBC news tonight? What an idiot.

This man is an parasite, I know he had close ties with Edward Ware( Bristol Rovers Board Member )during his development days and is a friend of his, which IMO makes him a biased *a#k#* !!!!!!!!, I've just watched "one of the six" traitors on BBC repeating what GF said on TV last night IT'S A FIX

BIASED. prejudiced, tending to base decisions on personal opinion; 2. not objective, unfairly leaning to one outcome more often than another SAYS IT ALL :argh:

Just watched the Simon Rayner interview on BBC, he is an architect, so he thinks that makes him more informed than a professional planner, he is also a member of Greenpeace (says a lot).

Think this stitch up is on par with the original 'Bob Cook' farce.

BCAGFC

This man is an parasite, I know he had close ties with Edward Ware( Bristol Rovers Board Member )during his development days and is a friend of his, which IMO makes him a biased *a#k#* !!!!!!!!, I've just watched "one of the six" traitors on BBC repeating what GF said on TV last night IT'S A FIX

BIASED. prejudiced, tending to base decisions on personal opinion; 2. not objective, unfairly leaning to one outcome more often than another SAYS IT ALL :argh:

I think you could be right on the fix accusation. I don't know how the panels are selected for these things, but to see at least three of the most vociferous opponents to the stadium planning application that got deferred, ie Cheryl Ann, Fi Hance and to top it all, that weedy little **** Simon Rayner chairing the meeting, it makes me wonder if this was planned. It was certainly clear we'd be up against it with that line-up. One consolation was their arguments were so pathetic that I would have thought Sainsbury's would have a very strong case for an appeal.

Whatever happens, this is going to at least slow things up further, unless SL decides to carry on with the stadium plans and worry about who actually buys AG until later, but that's a big ask for someone who has already put so much into the club.

I would like to ask those who turned down the application what they want their time in office to be remember for ?

Do they want to be remembered for what was achived for the city of Bristol

or

Do they want to be remembered for what they stopped from being achived.

Came across this website concerning this Ferguson bloke

http://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/home/george-ferguson-architect-at-home/1851882.article

I quote

I came to university in Bristol and that simple choice was the biggest life-changing decision I could possibly have made.

A shame this tosser turned up at all.

The man is from Hampshire so why should this "do-gooder" stick his oar in

Simon Rayner

Pete Levy

Jos Clark

Fi Hance

Chryl Ann

Derek Pickup.

Pete Levys acting in there was nothing but a disgrace.

Sent to simon@simonrayner.org and simon.rayner@bristol.gov.uk (if you're desperate, you can find more here: http://www.simonrayner.mycouncillor.org.uk/)

You only need to do a limited amount of digging to find all the information I've used here. The fact we are run by people like this and worse by others who can't see the futility of allowing people like this to lead such significant and valuable decision making is utterly embarrassing. None of these people have ever run a business because they wouldn't be allowed near anything even slightly resembling a decision.

Mr. Rayner,

As you are only too happy to make decisions on South Bristol from your ward in North Bristol, and as you are only too happy to provide ill conceived and totally unexplained remarks about your decision on Sainsbury's recent planning application to the local media and the Points West broadcast safe in the knowledge that there is no right to reply, perhaps you will consider visiting South Bristol and engaging in a public debate with me? I hope this isn't too forward a request but it seems far too simple for you to make emotive comments like "I felt that the umm planners report understated some of the effects that the application may have on the errr local community, its services, err air quality umm traffic" [a verbatim transcript]

Besides your inability to articulate a well prepared argument and your insistence that the migration of a supermarket somehow affects local services (there goes Sainsbury's putting NHS Dentists out of business again) I would be fascinated to know how you out-qualify those who compiled the full planners report? Is it your whopping 13 months as a councillor? Or the massive 43 days in which you've been appointed to a committee which makes decisions about development in the South and East of the City, two areas you refreshingly have no responsibility for? An appointment which, for what it's worth, came a stonking 2 whole days after your first appointment to a council body. So quite qualified to play decision maker for South Bristol.

But then making decisions about other people's lives must come quite easily for a Kingsweston councillor who lives in Clifton? Are your constituents not rich and upper class enough to live among? Or does your extensive 29 years of age qualify you with the extensive social and business expertise to make sound judgements about development of Bristol? For one thing you must have kept attendees at last night's meeting guessing right until the end, after all you were only one of two councillors in nine to vote AGAINST a successful planning application for the new stadium and you warmed up for that by remarking to local media that you don't like football? Not half as much as you like your £200,000+ flat off Blackboy Hill in Clifton.

I'm sure nowhere in your thinking was your employment as an architect contracted to provide professional services to the council, because of course a mixed use development of housing, offices, cultural and community developments rather than Sainsbury's opens up no potential conflicts of interest for someone employed by a firm providing the local council and the wider community err.. architecture and planning for mixed use, housing, offices, cultural and community developments. Surely some mistake? Perhaps if Sainsbury's were tendering the architecture for their new site rather than using established vendor contracts, you might suddenly have "ummm" forgotten "errr" about their unusual effects on local services and air quality.

What fun that the actual chair of your planning decision making committee who represents the South Bristol neighbourhood affected had to stand down for being a Bristol City Football Club season ticket holder due to the conflict of interest, but a Bristol architect with a track record of contracts in all possible alternative forms of development across the city and therefore a significant commercial interest (oh, and, who does not like football and doesn't live or represent anywhere in South Bristol), is leading the rebuttal of these established plans and paying barely justified lip service to them on the TV news tonight. Now that's what I call local interest, get another architect in I say! When you've got a good job, who needs to create more jobs!!

Anyway, not to get off the point, this debate: I'm sure you're a man with a busy schedule such as myself, so I am happy to acknowledge that if this opportunity isn't possible, it will be down to all your great and long-standing work for the city of Bristol and not simply because you don't have the courage to attend the neighbourhood you choose to make decisions on, you don't feel capable of properly explaining your decision making process as you didn't on BBC Points West, and you can ill afford to be found out as an inexperienced 29 year old who simply votes in favour of whatever the vocal middle class liberal minority tells you rather than seeking to represent any democratic merit in the city of Bristol. Up for it?

Yours Sincerely,

Rob

This is great fun. I get this in reply:

I am out of office from 3rd to 18th July, and will be unable to respond to e-mails or phone calls during this time.

Such a professional he was voting out Sainsbury's application a full 3 days after he was supposedly back at work, yet too busy to actually check his email or switch off his out office in the days since. Maybe he didn't even read the planning committee's advice? In my experience leaving this sort of email setup in place goes hand in hand with never reading emails anyway.

Came across this website concerning this Ferguson bloke

http://www.architect...1851882.article

I quote

I came to university in Bristol and that simple choice was the biggest life-changing decision I could possibly have made.

A shame this tosser turned up at all.

The man is from Hampshire so why should this "do-gooder" stick his oar in

No mate. The biggest life changing decision you actually made was to oppose the dreams of thousands of others in a place you don't really belong.

Everyone else's lives, not your own.

Tw*t.

Archived