IGNORED

Sainsbury's Support By Fans

Rich

Who was there to support this application which ultimately was supporting our club?

I sat through the whole experience, as well as actively campaigning for and fighting the opposition for over a year, and I've got to say I have felt very lonely at times.

Last night we were let down by the ineptitude of the council officers and their ability to provide answers to basic questions such as, what is the difference between the previous application and this new one.

I thought the councillors were searching for a bit of confidence from their/our council officers to be able to pass this scheme and it did not materialise.

They were also very aware of the opposition against this plan, this is basically a green party campaign to stop all the developments, at every step of the way green issues were presented as opposition, so called independent spokespeople were green party activists. This could have been counter balanced in part by some support for the plans from our clubs supporters but they never bothered to turn up.

Having said that all is not lost, I believe it might be possible to appeal on planning grounds as the plans met all current criteria.

Who was there to support this application which ultimately was supporting our club?

I sat through the whole experience, as well as actively campaigning for and fighting the opposition for over a year, and I've got to say I have felt very lonely at times.

Last night we were let down by the ineptitude of the council officers and their ability to provide answers to basic questions such as, what is the difference between the previous application and this new one.

I thought the councillors were searching for a bit of confidence from their/our council officers to be able to pass this scheme and it did not materialise.

They were also very aware of the opposition against this plan, this is basically a green party campaign to stop all the developments, at every step of the way green issues were presented as opposition, so called independent spokespeople were green party activists. This could have been counter balanced in part by some support for the plans from our clubs supporters but they never bothered to turn up.

Having said that all is not lost, I believe it might be possible to appeal on planning grounds as the plans met all current criteria.

You're right, all is not lost, we still have planning permission to build a new stadium, we just need to look at ways to maximise the return on Ashton Gate.

They dismissed the enabling issue as insignificant on legal advice so it would be hard for fans to stand up and claim it was necessary for Sainsburys to build for the stadium to go ahead after that.

The enabling part of this application was always seen as contentious as it was a small percentage (17% I think) actually going to the overall stadium costs. Even though it was £20m the percentage was seen as not enabling development.

As I understand it, the application met the criteria on traffic, air pollution, retail impact. The council have a policy to reduce car usage, this plan increased car usage in the new location, what was not fully explained was that the car usage would reduce in the areas that retail trade was taken from, so no overall increase just relocation.

Archived