IGNORED

Hallowed Be Our Chairman...

jimtastic

Over the last few days, I've seen several comments (including some from SL himself) stating that SL wouldn't do anything that City couldn't afford (the David James signing being the pertinent one), and follow-up praise for the club being in such safe hands.

Now here's what I don't get. As a club, haven't we lost a couple of million quid each year for the last three or four years? Well that would suggest to me that much as I love having the likes of James and Coppell, we're living beyond our means. Perhaps to a lesser extent than some clubs, but living beyond our means none-the-less. Didn't Southend nearly go to the wall for the sake of 500k? And we're losing 3-4 times that in a year!

Could someone with a bit more knowledge of the club and its finances explain to me the basis on which City (who I believe already have an 8 figure debt?) can "afford" to go that bit more high profile while shedding a couple of million quid a year? Last I remember, SL wasn't bankrolling our losses personally, but was supporting the club with loans, which will ultimately need to be repaid. Exactly how screwed would we be if SL decides to move on in the future?

Aren't we (to a lesser extent) doing a bit of a Baa-diff and taking a gamble on Premier League football? Is the new stadium the only key to getting our finances back to being ship-shape and Bristol fashion?

Is "safe hands" a relative term (ie City is being run better than most clubs in a ridiculous market which won't be able to sustain itself in the long term?)

I stress again - I love SL to bits. Long may he reign. I'm just genuinely interested in the answer to this - there's got to be something I'm missing given that City are always held up as a shining example of a financially well-run club :)

This is an old chestnut and a highly emotive issue. It certainly gets me going.

There were threads that went on forever about good SL, bad SL and how two companies were formed and shareholdings increased for the board.

My suggestion would be for Milo to pm you with the relevent details. He had a real grasp on the subject when the "debate " first started. I believe he is listed by Otib and the ST.

The quote has slightly been taken out of context... after SL stated that he would not do anything that City as a club can't afford he followed that to say that by making these expenses in the short term would help to make the club self sufficient for the long term.. his hope is that his legacy will be intact long after he has gone.

This could be viewed as a gamble, but my view is that it is a calculated gamble and in no way is he gambling with the safety or longevity of the club. The realism is that SL is building for the future (stadium, investing in the squad with the aim of securing higher level football etc) and he is doing all this with his own cash for a genuine love of the club.

In SL we clearly have a chairman who listens to his head and heart in equal measures... I haven't seen the balance sheet for the year previous but i'd wager that it will be a darn sight healthier in 5 years time with SL at the helm. There are many types of chairman from the cavalier (Hammam, Ridsdale et al) to the playboys with their toys (Abramovich etc) but I have no doubt that SL's only desire and ambition is to secure the future of our beloved club and for that I salute him.

I'll climb my way out of his bum now innocent06.gifwub.gif

I'm doing the guy a massive disservice if SL is now bankrolling parts of the club or certain signings out of his own pocket, but there does seem to be a general perception amongst fans that SL's personal wealth is having a bearing on the signings we're bringing in and propping up the club etc. If nothing's changed (and I'm not passing judgment on that or anything), then that just isn't the case and it's actually City's debt that's financing our progress.

I think the gamble with James was, the amount of shirts they sold - even people getting "James 1" on the back of out field shirts, extra season tickets, etc etc.

That James's contract is almost paid for, and it will help the club.

But yeah, a fantastic post indeed.

Sure, that'll shift a lot of shirts, but I can't see it getting anywhere near the cost of his contract/signing on fee! The extra bums on seats he'll attract will help though :)

Sure, that'll shift a lot of shirts, but I can't see it getting anywhere near the cost of his contract/signing on fee! The extra bums on seats he'll attract will help though :)

He might also think that the bums on seats that signing James for this season a good % of these may then stay the following season. If for example 1000 sign up now James has signed (who normally wouldnt have bothered or floating fans) and 250 stay st holders the following season. He may see this as a way of increasing the fan base as well as bringing in extra funds to the club.

This one signing though has certainly increased city's presence in the media, on tv SSN, a lot of football website from around the world, and in the papers too. Could be a way of now getting extra revenue with sponsorships and advertising now we're more on the national map as a football club.

Nice topic.

SL is looking at the Ricoh model for our club I believe, where correct me if I am wrong, but the football club only makes up 25% of the stadiums revenue. Like it or not, football has to evolve and they need to have events going on all week, not just once every other week.

The thing I have heard and see in SL is that he is not interested in all the razzle dazzle, that some chairman thrive on (Mr Orange at Palace). He does not want to be in the limelight, he just wants the club to be self sufficient and quite right. In fact, I think the club are taking a stand against over paid pre-madonna's, another one is our old foe Holloway at Blackpool. It would not surprise me, if SL banned agents from our club and I'm sure if he could, he would.

The way I look at it is, Imagine running a business that only opened once every other week. I am pretty sure it would not take long to eat up the money taken from the days you are open. Then you have a early sale (season tickets) to build a small buffer over close season for wages etc..But it doesn't take long for that to disappear and then where are you? In Cardiff territory!

Lots of stuff is going on behind the scenes, regarding the Supporters trust, club etc...And I think it will become a more powerful voice on the board over the next few years. I think SL will welcome it as well.

The difference being that we will own our stadium outright from day one and without the Council having to pump money into it (Barbara Janke please note).

Archived