Lewin Nyatanga

Christian Ribeiro

Nicky Hunt

Kalifa Cisse

Louis Carey

James Wilson

When they are fit and if the 2 trailist are any good we have depth

Left back remains a weakness.

But I'd take the current line-up with what we know is out injured.

Personally I think we look a bit weak to be honest. Also, a newish team playing together, including several who probably wouldn't play if everyone was fit and the likes of Skuse somewhat out of position, against a stable Millwall side with the bouyancy of promotion etc. Tomorrow could well be very difficut indeed, as good the first couple of months overall.

Time will tell. Certainly the anticipation is no less than normal. Can't wait!

If LJ plays in a central 2 then we will get murdered, he cant tackle, doesnt track back and obviously is crap in the air, hes a decent option in a 3 but too much of a luxury in a 2, no way.

If he does play in a 2 Elliot will be knackered by 60 minutes as he has to work twice as hard.

Lets play round pegs in round holes, if Edwards is good enough to be in the 1st team squad hes good enough to start, Skuse and Elliot in the middle and Adomah instead of sproule.

Adomah for first scorer, Millwall to equalise late on from a penalty.

I genuinly believe Styvar will come good! his record at Zillina speaks for itself he just needs to adapt to the English game! :me?: #

Also I think he'll start with Edwards Right Back and Skuse in the middle with hopefully Gavin Williams

prediction : 1-0 City. Sproule to score by cutting in from right wing after 12 seconds :city:

We are certainly are a fair bit weaker than we could be, which begs the question - does anyone know anything about them?

I'll confess to knowing sweet fa about Millwall's team.

We could certainly have harder games, away at a promoted side is not nice or places like Sheff Utd, Burnley etc

I genuinly believe Styvar will come good! his record at Zillina speaks for itself he just needs to adapt to the English game! :me?: #

Also I think he'll start with Edwards Right Back and Skuse in the middle with hopefully Gavin Williams

prediction : 1-0 City. Sproule to score by cutting in from right wing after 12 seconds :city:

At a guess you were not at the Clevedon game. If he has 'got it', he's doing a damn good job of hiding it !

I'm coming tomorrow and being as I haven't been in years I'm quite disappointed at the line up. I would consider the left back position to be very weak and the right side of the midfield to be far too weak to gain promotion. Having said that I hope Millwalls season won't start off with a bang and the home advantage will be a big inspiration for our lads.

We are certainly are a fair bit weaker than we could be, which begs the question - does anyone know anything about them?

I'll confess to knowing sweet fa about Millwall's team.

Always thought it would be great for the forum or the main City site to post up some info on our opponents as I have seen with other sides (sheffield weds I think).. but anyway....

Pretty much the team that kind of picks itself sadly with all of our injuries :((

Skuse could do a job back at RB but not ideal, LJ - am I allowed to be negative on that one? Just don't like him in that role. Would be great if we could get something out of tomorrow and see it through until we get some key players back - COYR!!!!!!! :englandsmile4wf:

Guest oftbc

Got to be skuse and elliott in the centre and I think that is what coppell will go for. CM is a key position, Why weaken that to make a less important position possibly stronger.

For me we just have to chuck Joe Edwards in there. We will never know if he's ready until he is given a chance. Although Skuse and Elliott may be better players than JE bet are they necessarily better players than JE when played at RB? Surely playing a natural RB is better than playing a unnatural RB and also we wouldn't be weakening other positions.

Like others I know nothing about Millwall but I imagine they will give us a physical game. For that reason it is vital we have our strongest possible players in the middle. Sorry but LJ and Williams are just not up for a physical battle.

Not sure about Sproule, Never have been as he just runs with the ball then runs out of ideas. Not sure SC has had long enough to work with him to change anything.

SC is on record as preferring box to box midfielders with attacking wingers. There is only one choice for a 4-4-2, and thats Skuse and Elliot as the midfield heart of the team. If we need a goal in the second half, we can use Williams.

Suggesting LJ in a 4-4-2 is suicidal, we have seen the results of that before. When given the luxory of a 5 man midfield LJ can fit in. He may be a nice guy and a fit guy, he is not however a box to box all round player, Elliot needed two days recouperation after doubling up on his duties with LJ. With Skuse, Elliot knows he has total commitment from his misfield partner.

If Edwards is selected, he has the experienced Stewart, Fontaine, McAllister and young James to encourage his efforts.......remember Ribs on his debute, he had great support from the team and the fans........He did well.

We have a choice of wingers and I'me sure SC will want to stretch Millwall down the chalk. The 6' 2" Vokes should do well alongside Clarkson, at a level he should excel in.

Not much time for the team to gel, sometimes it clicks immediatly, sometimes its a frustrating comedy of errors.

Its down to the positive energy of having Coppell and James in the frame. That will give the squad enough impetus to take the points. Promotion starts with game one. I do not subscribe to this nonsense of "its early days yet, we have players out, it takes time, etc ". Thats pure nonsense, if you are 3 points short of promotion at seasons end, you probably flunked it at the start. Get it done early and often. I mentioned last week that our first 7 matches offerred us points. The second seven are much more difficult. Pound them now, pound them !

Agree with much of what has been posted above. You feel a bit sorry for Coppell: more difficulty than was perhaps expected in securing some of the new signings he wanted and then an epidemic of pre-season injuries, some of them to absolute certain starters, with Maynard obviously the biggest disappointment. Expectations must be adjusted accordingly.

However, I think people are quite right to suggest that the glass is half full rather than half empty. If you look at the likely spine of the team, it appears solid and certainly a bit more robust than last season.

For starters, you can't win anything without a decent keeper. Check that box. I have nothing against Gerken. Still young for a keeper and may yet develop into a good 'un, especially if he benefits as he should from being James' understudy, but he is lacking confidence and is hestant about coming off his line. There were clear examples of this again in the Blackpool friendly, though that time we got away with it - just. I believe the resulting uncertainty in the back four was a major factor in the decline in our defensive solidity last season: it spreads throughout the team until it becomes hard to pinpoint what's going wrong, but I think quite a lot of it sprang from that initial cause. Expect DJ to assert himself and command the area.

Center half, ditto. Only seen Stewart once, so can't be sure, but he looks an absolute beast of a player. When he tackles you, you tend to stay tackled. Big, strong in the air, as Reading fans have confirmed, and experienced at this level. We have been needing that for some time. He probably has the turning circle of the QE2, so Fonts will be important alongside him, but nevertheless it's definitely a gap plugged.

Centre midfield: absolutely agree with those who argue Elliot and Skuse should shield the defence. That's potentially a major source of strength in the team and I would not weaken that area by moving Skuse to reinforce RB. Young Edwards looks a good prospect to me and if he plays there will be plenty of senior players around him to support him.

Up front: Vokes may not have arrived in time to be ready to start today - no chance to work with new team mates on formations, tactics etc. - but he's a big lad who Coppell rates and who I think will do a job for us there.

That all sounds OK to me. I'm not suggesting it's promotion material or anything like that, but we really shoudn't struggle with that backbone to the side. Coppell can then play around with a number of options for the remaining three places in the side, with plenty of pace available despite the absence of Haynes. Sproule, Adomah and JCR all have something to offer, with Williams an outside bet to provide some creativity. I can live with that until we get our injured players back. Could be a lot worse.

Edit. Oh, and I forgot Clarkson. I've said before on the forum that I think this bloke's an intelligent player who had a miserable time last season, largely through no fault of his own, and he shouldn't be judged on that. I think we'll see a different player this time around.

Archived