IGNORED

Mental Wages

Mrdc

An ex scholar at a Prem club from London who I'm aware of (without naming them) left at the end of his youth contract and almost signed for Bolton as they offered him 20k. Now this player in question was also told he isn't even close to the first team but yet they're prepared to pay him 20k a WEEK.

Now, this player's agent advised him that Pompy would like to also neogotiate with him, so he thought 'why not'.

So he went down to Pompy to see what they'd offer (thinking there is no way they'll pay me more) and it was 30k a WEEK! He was told the same there - he is far from being picked for the first team.

He thought '**** me I'll have some of that' and signed a 3 year deal with them!

We are doing the right thing with a salary cap, unless you get someone like David James who is supposed to be on half the wages Celtic offered him.

Now I also know that although teams like Aresnal pay lower wages, spend less generally. But (don't slate me) Cesc Fabregas gets £1Million per season he stays.

Football is all about money to I'd say - around 90% of the players. The rest play for the team they love and think with their hearts, not wallets.

So for many clubs who do this they're taking a BIG gamble, unless stupid money is guarenteed to be pumped into the club, such as the 'big four' etc.

I'm glad our chairman doesn't. We're pushing for promotion, not gambling!

are you joking?!

Hull are about £20 million in debt and have a wage bill of around £39 million a year

Yes but what are the chances of them dropping down the divisions due to their financial implications? Exactly, it isn't going to happen.

Yes but what are the chances of them dropping down the divisions due to their financial implications? Exactly, it isn't going to happen.

In 2007, one year before the club earned promotion to the EPL, it had £1m in the bank and a wage bill of £3.5m. In other words, no debt.

In 2010, the club has a wage bill of £39.5m and is £27m in debt

not how i would want my football club run, but each to their own

Steve Lansdown's a smart bloke. He'll know what the going rate is and he'll know what we can afford to pay.

If Steve Coppell comes to him and says "look, we can't compete and reach the Premier League without raising the salary cap" then I'm sure he'll give it serious consideration, but I don't believe that's a discussion they'll have to have because it is very definitely possible to be competitive in this league without paying ludicrous wages.

It was stated that he was on 15k a week and I'd be very surprised if he wasn't the highest paid player. Who is the highest then? Or are you conveniently not allowed to say.

No, I just choose not to, the same as I would hope my mate wouldn't tell everyone what my wages are. You can be surprised as you like, but he isn't our highest paid player. You can believe what you want. I wont lose any sleep matey ;)

He's not on 15k a week and he's not the highest paid player

SL has already stated that DJ is the highest paid player at the club and he broke the wage cap to sign him. So your saying that SL is lying then and your not prepared to say who is calling him a liar??

My wife and I are friends with one of our first team players and go out with him and his Missus regularly. He told me what one player is now earning. This is before James signed, and it's more than 15k. I'm not calling anyone a liar. I'm just telling you what I've been told from the horses mouth so to speak. That's all you'll get out of me.

My wife and I are friends with one of our first team players and go out with him and his Missus regularly. He told me what one player is now earning. This is before James signed, and it's more than 15k. I'm not calling anyone a liar. I'm just telling you what I've been told from the horses mouth so to speak. That's all you'll get out of me.

Your post states that DJ is not the highest paid player, SL said that he is. That's what I'm pulling you up on. SL is the man who pays all the wages so I hope he knows who is earning what, as I'm sure it might come as a surprise to him that another player is supposedly earning more pw than he thinks. Either that or the 10k per week wage cap so many other people talk about on here is incorrect?? Who's wrong? The first team player you say you know, SL or people on here?? As they all can't be right.

According to Deloitte's Annual Salary Review (for 2010) of Professional Footballer wages, the average Championship player earns £275,00 per year, which works out at about £5,300 per week. I would imagine as Bristol City are an average Championship team with average Championship Players I would expect the top earners at the club ( Maynard, Carey James) would be on somewhere between £8-10,000. Of course if the club are successful and get into the top six, bonuses for points & league position etc might push them up another 20%. I would be astonished if any City player is earning a regular £15,000 a week wage. But then again Football's a funny old game, and people always exaggerate what they earn!

If we carry on paying players the wages we are supposedly paying then we are always going to be a average championship side.

Rubbish. Go look at Blackpool's wage bill.

If we carry on losing £6m a year we are going to be an ex football club.

Our wage structure is not the problem.

Archived