IGNORED

Southampton Ban Photographers

Tim S

Not sure if this has been mentioned on here already, but Ive just seen this news article about Southampton banning all photographers from home games and now newspapers cant print photos from the games so are now printing cartoon drawings instead!

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Strange-News/Plymouth-Cartoons-Roy-Of-The-Rovers-Tribute-After-Southampton-Banned-Photographers-From-St-Marys/Article/201008215680260?lpos=Strange_News_Third_Home_Page_Article_Teaser_Region__9&lid=ARTICLE_15680260_Plymouth_Cartoons:_Roy_Of_The_Rovers_Tribute_After_Southampton_Banned_Photographers_From_St_Marys

Seems a strange move for Southampton, Ive never heard of another club doing this!

Heard about this a few days ago.

Guy doing the cartoons(I think) was on BBC Breakfast news on Wednesday morning

Okay the punishment for Southampton football club?

BBC Solent could not just not show any goal action ,I don't think there is any obligation for BBC solent to show the goals

Ban the southampton club photographer from away grounds

away clubs not to give complimentary tickets

Make sure Sky sports don't cover any LIVE games from now on.

Do you know why they have suddenly done this?

I know that some clubs, namely Newcastle, banned the Daily Mail reporters from attending their games because of that World Cup article they printed.

Has something similar happened that effects Southampton that has prompted them to do this? It strikes me as a very strange move! Or are they just being pure greedy by banning all outside photographers and insisting that if anyone wants to print photos they have to buy them from the official Southampton photographer?

I know that some clubs, namely Newcastle, banned the Daily Mail reporters from attending their games because of that World Cup article they printed.

Has something similar happened that effects Southampton that has prompted them to do this? It strikes me as a very strange move! Or are they just being pure greedy by banning all outside photographers and insisting that if anyone wants to print photos they have to buy them from the official Southampton photographer?

I'm assuming the latter.

You are right. they are using an Agency 'in house' photographer who then sells them to other interested parties. Purely a financial arrangement for the cash strapped club.

I always thought that all photography for league clubs was controlled by Football Dataco? They're the ones that issue photography licences to the media and they are the ones that come down on you like a ton of bricks if you try to publish photos of the inside of stadiums. I thought itwas all part of the media rights deal that all clubs signed up to?

Archived