IGNORED

A Little Surprised...

Johnny Casio

Hi all,

This may seem an altogether random thread to start but I just wondered on people's opinions as to why David James was the only player to come from Portsmouth to City.

I lived in Pompey for little over a year in which I was in the City when they won the FA Cup and whitnessed the rise and the dramatic fall the club endured.

They as we all know were incredibly unfortunate last season however I really don't think their position in the Premier League reflected some of the quality they showed throughout the year.

My prediction was that Pompey could well continue on a downward spiral. The club has some gems that could (and have previously) shine in this division. Players like Michael Brown, Utaka, Matt Ritchie and arguably David Nugent could all add some precious elements and surely would be worth 'poaching'.

We are such an ambitious club that I think the best players from the league would find joining City a very attractive prospect.

What does anyone else think?

are you joking. james wanted to come here for personal reasons he has been there done that and played more games in the prem than anyone.....

one of your examples Utaka last season was reputedly getting paid with bonuses included more than Fabregas, so we would never look at any of their players

the worrying thing about the james deal is that he was reportedly paid 500k signing on fee which some might say could have been better deployed elsewhere

the worrying thing about the james deal is that he was reportedly paid 500k signing on fee which some might say could have been better deployed elsewhere

I'd disagree strongly with that. The defence looked shaky and nervous in front of Gerken last season and we wont go up with a shaky back four and goalkeeper. A new keeper was a must for me and we've gone out and signed the best. He'll probably be with us for 2 seasons and it will cost us around £1.5million, possibly a bit more. Money well spent considering we'll probably get a few more games on TV because of him, more media interest and also a bit more on our home gates.

I see your angle RedDave and James is defo best keeper in the league, but i think Gerken did ok last season some of the saves he made were some of the best i have seen in my time supporting city, lost a lot of confirdence mid season but so did everyone, i think under a new manager he could have improved.....time will tell i guess but for a club like ours that is a huge signing on fee

Totally agree with the angle about the extra that James will bring to the club, we only have to look at the 1st game of this season being a sell out and being front page of most papers and bbc website etc - James coming here was an incredible bit of business and the returns in PR and media exposure will most probably have a value greater then 500K.

I would also agree with the Utaka comment, however those bonuses stories came out to be tabloid tales in reality...

Archived