IGNORED

More Funds Now Millen Is Manager?

Andy082005

Heres a scenario. Now personally, and I think a few may agree, it seemed pretty obvious from the off that Steve Coppells heart MAY NOT have been in it completely. Alarm bells rang for me when he went on a holiday for 3 weeks the day after he was appointed.....most managers would normally throw themselves into their work immiediately, especially those that have been out of management for a while.

Nobody knows what he was like behind the scenes, maybe his lack of desire filtered right through the club and Steve L picked up on it? we just dont know, maybe, just maybe Coppells resignation has not come as a massive suprise to Mr L? we all know he has done it before. With this in mind, maybe he thought "Maybe I should be a bit coy with the transfer budget, as Coppell seems to be unhappy. Imagine if we blow all our transfer budget and then he walks? I could be left with having to get a new manager who has a crop of new players he doesnt want....and they are all on big wages"

Millen is now on a 3 YEAR contract, not a 1 year rolling one, says to me that Steve sees Keith as our long term future.

Who knows, maybe now he may release a few more funds? loosen the purse strings a little?

Funding hasn't been the problem and won't change now. For Christ's sake, Steve Lansdown has a proven track record of backing his managers with money. Anybody who thinks he misled SC about the money available or backed him less needs to see a doctor and get some help.

Funding hasn't been the problem and won't change now. For Christ's sake, Steve Lansdown has a proven track record of backing his managers with money. Anybody who thinks he misled SC about the money available or backed him less needs to see a doctor and get some help.

I agree with you but......... SL broke his own wage structure to bring James in- maybe Coppell got hacked off because he wouldn't break it for players that SC wanted?

Heres a scenario. Now personally, and I think a few may agree, it seemed pretty obvious from the off that Steve Coppells heart MAY NOT have been in it completely. Alarm bells rang for me when he went on a holiday for 3 weeks the day after he was appointed.....most managers would normally throw themselves into their work immiediately, especially those that have been out of management for a while.

Nobody knows what he was like behind the scenes, maybe his lack of desire filtered right through the club and Steve L picked up on it? we just dont know, maybe, just maybe Coppells resignation has not come as a massive suprise to Mr L? we all know he has done it before. With this in mind, maybe he thought "Maybe I should be a bit coy with the transfer budget, as Coppell seems to be unhappy. Imagine if we blow all our transfer budget and then he walks? I could be left with having to get a new manager who has a crop of new players he doesnt want....and they are all on big wages"

Millen is now on a 3 YEAR contract, not a 1 year rolling one, says to me that Steve sees Keith as our long term future.

Who knows, maybe now he may release a few more funds? loosen the purse strings a little?

To be fair to Mr L, GJ and others have never moaned that the chairman did not back them, and last summer's recruitment drive, would certainly back that up!! As would the previous summer when we broke our transfer record by a huge margin to sign Nicky Maynard. It's only a guess, but if players were being spoken to by a less than enthusiastic and passionate manager perhaps the lure of Championship football at AG was rapidly diminished!!

I have every faith that KM will get it right and if he wants to recruit players that will improve the squad, SL will give him his full backing. I fully agree about your points re Mr Coppell! In hindsight, his reluctance to dive straight in and make his mark, does look like he really wasn't that committed to his new position. In fairness to the chairman, he gave the majority of City fans the manager they were clamouring for. It's now our turn to have faith in him and Milly to do the right things. I believe they will with the club's best interests at heart.

Im not saying Steve Lansdown hasnt backed the club or managers have I??

What I am saying is, if I was Steve Lansdown and I had noticed that my NEW manager wasnt settling, or seemed unhappy and not 100% commited, Id be very, very wary at releasing money to that manager. For example, we dont no what was offered to Stead.....or Kitson (if it was offered at all), some say £12k....some say they wanted £20k....we just dont know!

Im asking do people think

1, Lansdown was unsure on Coppells commitment and happiness, therefore wanted to wait and see before releasing some more money

2, now we have a manager in charge we know is happy, fully commited long term.....IF Lansdown was being coy, will he now loosen the purse strings a little to allow the new commmited manager, a chance to build.

Im not saying Coppell left due to lack of funds, im not saying he wasnt promised backing.....I just dont believe this is as massive a shock to Steve L as it is to us. Maybe he seen it coming?

To be fair to Mr L, GJ and others have never moaned that the chairman did not back them, and last summer's recruitment drive, would certainly back that up!! As would the previous summer when we broke our transfer record by a huge margin to sign Nicky Maynard. It's only a guess, but if players were being spoken to by a less than enthusiastic and passionate manager perhaps the lure of Championship football at AG was rapidly diminished!!

I have every faith that KM will get it right and if he wants to recruit players that will improve the squad, SL will give him his full backing. I fully agree about your points re Mr Coppell! In hindsight, his reluctance to dive straight in and make his mark, does look like he really wasn't that committed to his new position. In fairness to the chairman, he gave the majority of City fans the manager they were clamouring for. It's now our turn to have faith in him and Milly to do the right things. I believe they will with the club's best interests at heart.

Im not really getting the point of my original post across I dont think. Like I said, im not questioning Steve L in the past, whether it was withTinnion or Johnson. with Coppell though, maybe Lansdown could see this coming....so was a little reluctant to give to much money to a manager he may have thought might not stick around. If Coppell had seemed happier end of August, we may have seen more players coming in....

Like I said, Coppell must have seemed unhappy in the job, and not fully committed....why would you want to give money to someone who doesnt seem committed??

Your more inclined to trust someone like Millen with money.....he has been here long enough, and his commitment is not in question

I agree with you but......... SL broke his own wage structure to bring James in- maybe Coppell got hacked off because he wouldn't break it for players that SC wanted?

Let's blow up a few myths here then.

There isn't a wage structure at BCFC. No set of rules that puts a hard cap on it. There is just a rough and flexible budget that SL has frequently extended for managers in the past when a good opportunity presents. The people in charge of determining who earns what apply some simple intelligence to contract discussions. They (mainly Colin Sexstone, sometimes Steve) know who earns what and try to keep thing in some sort of sensible shape noting who is up for renewal and what the going rates are. It's how most businesses are run. This ten grand limit is made up, if there were a player worth over it we'd pay it.

James may be the best paid player, but nobody at the club would dispute that as England's number one he should be, and he is very unlikely to be getting more than ten grand a week. Nobody really knows - apart from him, his agent, and a handful at the club. I expect the deal involves big bonuses based on success - that would seem to be a logical way of mitigating risk and DJ himself said that he had better offers elsewhere.

SL did not sign James. He suggested it to Steve Coppell and Steve Coppell thought it unlikely it was a goer but tried it anyway and it paid off. Steve Coppell never said or gave the impression he had any problem with that signing, and there's little reason to think that it stopped us making other signings. If Coppell wanted Kitson badly and Kitson was available for what James is getting there would still be the matter of a 7 figure fee for a 30 year old to think about.

Basically, I see no reason to not accept the reasons Steve Coppell gave. He is a man noted for his integrity and if he made a mistake taking this job personally then the most honourable thing to do is what he has done.

Im not saying Steve Lansdown hasnt backed the club or managers have I??

What I am saying is, if I was Steve Lansdown and I had noticed that my NEW manager wasnt settling, or seemed unhappy and not 100% commited, Id be very, very wary at releasing money to that manager. For example, we dont no what was offered to Stead.....or Kitson (if it was offered at all), some say £12k....some say they wanted £20k....we just dont know!

Im asking do people think

1, Lansdown was unsure on Coppells commitment and happiness, therefore wanted to wait and see before releasing some more money

2, now we have a manager in charge we know is happy, fully commited long term.....IF Lansdown was being coy, will he now loosen the purse strings a little to allow the new commmited manager, a chance to build.

Im not saying Coppell left due to lack of funds, im not saying he wasnt promised backing.....I just dont believe this is as massive a shock to Steve L as it is to us. Maybe he seen it coming?

I don't think SL plays silly games like that. He would have had discussions about budgets and policy on wages and transfers with Coppell before he signed and he wouldn't be silly enough to renege on them.

Simple fact is, the transfer market is tough this season for everyone and Coppell doesn't have the patience because his heart isn't in it. That's it and all of it.

Millen will be backed no differently to other managers.

Let's blow up a few myths here then.

There isn't a wage structure at BCFC. No set of rules that puts a hard cap on it. There is just a rough and flexible budget that SL has frequently extended for managers in the past when a good opportunity presents. The people in charge of determining who earns what apply some simple intelligence to contract discussions. They (mainly Colin Sexstone, sometimes Steve) know who earns what and try to keep thing in some sort of sensible shape noting who is up for renewal and what the going rates are. It's how most businesses are run. This ten grand limit is made up, if there were a player worth over it we'd pay it.

James may be the best paid player, but nobody at the club would dispute that as England's number one he should be, and he is very unlikely to be getting more than ten grand a week. Nobody really knows - apart from him, his agent, and a handful at the club. I expect the deal involves big bonuses based on success - that would seem to be a logical way of mitigating risk and DJ himself said that he had better offers elsewhere.

SL did not sign James. He suggested it to Steve Coppell and Steve Coppell thought it unlikely it was a goer but tried it anyway and it paid off. Steve Coppell never said or gave the impression he had any problem with that signing, and there's little reason to think that it stopped us making other signings. If Coppell wanted Kitson badly and Kitson was available for what James is getting there would still be the matter of a 7 figure fee for a 30 year old to think about.

Basically, I see no reason to not accept the reasons Steve Coppell gave. He is a man noted for his integrity and if he made a mistake taking this job personally then the most honourable thing to do is what he has done.

If you are stating that your clearing up a few myths then you must know that what you are writing must be absolute fact. How do you know this to be true about us not having a fixed wage structure? I don't disbelieve you because your one of the more reliable thought out posters on here but im just trying to ascertain the reliability of your information as so many people of stated this 10k as a top wage for our top players.

If you are stating that your clearing up a few myths then you must know that what you are writing must be absolute fact. How do you know this to be true about us not having a fixed wage structure? I don't disbelieve you because your one of the more reliable thought out posters on here but im just trying to ascertain the reliability of your information as so many people of stated this 10k as a top wage for our top players.

There are comments from SteveL and ColinS which are in the public domain about the wage bill and how these things are handled that show this to be a myth.

Particularly when coupled with the complete absence of any source/evidence for this 10k figure.

Archived