-------Ribeiro----Carey----Nyatanga-------

-----------------------------------------------------

-Orr-----------------------------------McAllister

---------------------Hartley-----------------------

--------Elliott-------------------Skuse----------

---------------Haynes---------------------------

-----------------------------Maynard------------

Yep, it was 3-5-2 with wingbacks. This was how Millen set us up against Newcastle in that 2-2 draw all those months ago. I seem to remember this was his preferred formation with the players available to us, that is until Coppell was set to become manager and he told Millen to play a back 4 instead of a 5 as was his preference. Tomorrow Millen is only going to have three(!) of those players - Elliott, Skuse & McAllister - in the starting XI, (as DJ will start over Gerken I'm sure).

One thing in KM's favour is that he knows the players and their capabilities well, so if we don't have the personnel to play 4-4-2 then surely we won't, unlike Coppell who played it regardless! But with so few of them available it will be interesting to see how he sets us up.

---------------------Gerken----------------------

Yep, it was 3-5-2 with wingbacks. This was how Millen set us up against Newcastle in that 2-2 draw all those months ago. I seem to remember this was his preferred formation with the players available to us, that is until Coppell was set to become manager and he told Millen to play a back 4 instead of a 5 as was his preference. Tomorrow Millen is only going to have three(!) of those players - Elliott, Skuse & McAllister - in the starting XI, (as DJ will start over Gerken I'm sure) so I wonder how he will set us up?

well we've so many players out it's tough to pick

I wonder

James

Hunt - Fontaine - McAllister

JCR - Elliot - Johnson- Skuse - Adomah

Akinde Sproule

Of course this allows Sproule/Akinde to switch with the wide men should KM want to mix things up a bit during the match, I know a few people have mentioned Ivan being up front, and I dont feel that is a bad option away from home, Akinde would provide the target man option as unfortunatly for Clarkson he didn't win enough ariel battles on tuesday to warrant inclusion wheras Akinde started to make an impact when he was introduced.

Anyway just my thoughts, I'm sure many will beg to differ

I think Millen played 3-5-2 before because it made best use of the available players. With only 2 centre halfs available I'm not sure it would be suitable at the moment, though it may be in the future.

One of the odd things about last season was that Johnson seemed to build a squad with a 3-5-2 formation in mind, played it for the first few games and then seemed to forget all about it and try shoe-horning the players into other formations.

---------------------Gerken----------------------

Yep, it was 3-5-2 with wingbacks. This was how Millen set us up against Newcastle in that 2-2 draw all those months ago. I seem to remember this was his preferred formation with the players available to us, that is until Coppell was set to become manager and he told Millen to play a back 4 instead of a 5 as was his preference. Tomorrow Millen is only going to have three(!) of those players - Elliott, Skuse & McAllister - in the starting XI, (as DJ will start over Gerken I'm sure).

One thing in KM's favour is that he knows the players and their capabilities well, so if we don't have the personnel to play 4-4-2 then surely we won't, unlike Coppell who played it regardless! But with so few of them available it will be interesting to see how he sets us up.

He knew the above players well, but as you say he has only 3 of those outfield players available to him tomorrow, and even then Skuse's fitness is in doubt.

The perceived advantage of appointing KM because of 2 way familiarity is obviously markedly reduced under these circumstances.

It's almost a completely new team, and don't forget Evander Sno also came on as a sub. in KM's first game.

KM would no doubt like to make his mark by springing a surprise selection ala Ribiero against Newcastle but would seem to have few options to do so.

I think Millen played 3-5-2 before because it made best use of the available players. With only 2 centre halfs available I'm not sure it would be suitable at the moment, though it may be in the future.

One of the odd things about last season was that Johnson seemed to build a squad with a 3-5-2 formation in mind, played it for the first few games and then seemed to forget all about it and try shoe-horning the players into other formations.

Indeed Dan, that Preston away game last year was exactly what everyone wanted(including GJ) to see, then it all changed with 3 subs, I know that title's/relegations arent decided in august but I think that game told us a lot more than we think, for 80 minutes we were brilliant, then the last 10 turned out to be a sign of things to come, perhaps a 4-5-1 tomorrow then with a bit of grit to try and grind a 1-0 would be better, also I forgot that Stewart is back and you wonder whether you could play a back 3 with his lack of pace

This didn't make sense to me either. Gary built a team for to play 3-5-2, the only things missing were younger, fitter wingbacks. It worked well in pre-season, infact I remember Mick McCarthy saying how it really caused Wolves some trouble when we beat them 2-0. Then we played really well up at Preston (okay the first half was dodgy) and deserved to take all 3 points. It then continued to work well for a while, QPR at home was great, but then he seemed to forget all about it as you say. Millen brought it back in towards the end of the season and it worked. So clearly we need to play a formation and system taking into account who we have available, not a Coppell type 442 irrespective of the personnel we have. Honestly if we go up tomorrow and have 2 holding midfielders, 2 wingers and 2 strikers then I'll be disappointed.

I think Hunt isn't fully fit but will start; in fact I'm sure we will play 4 at the back. But I'd like to see a very different midfield, preferrably a 5 man one with a lone striker with some prescence, ie not Clarkson. Backs to the wall, counterattacking sort of stuff. Remember how well it worked away at Reading when we got that 2-0 win with Dele up top alone?

I had nearly forgotten about the 3 5 2 / 5 3 2 formation and id certainly play it saturday

---------------------------James---------------------------

-----------Hunt---------Stewart------Fonts-------------

Edwards----------------------------------------Adomah

-------------------------Skuse------------------------------

----------------LJ------------------Williams--------------

-------------------Akinde----Jackson--------------------

is what i would go for

I had nearly forgotten about the 3 5 2 / 5 3 2 formation and id certainly play it saturday

is what i would go for

I like the look of that :winner_third_h4h:

is what i would go for

What we've found with playing 2 out and out wingers and 2 central midfielders ie: Cardiff, Doncaster and more recently Millwall, is how easily overrun we get in the middle of the park, So I would just scrap that completely and play something similar to the above, maybe with one more holding player alongside Skuse to give cover and license to the wingbacks to get forward more often.

I don't think we have the bodies to play 3-5-2 at the minute and with confidence no doubt in short supply, i think the main thing at Donny is to be solid. As such i think we'll go somethign along the lines of

------------------------James-----------------------

Hunt--------Stewart----------Fonts--------Macca

Adomah---------Skuse-------Elliott---------JCR

------------------------Clarky--------------------------

-----------------------Akinde/Sproule---------------

That way we should be hard to break down and at least have some pace to use on the break. Playing 3 at the back would mean Hunt-Stewart-Fonts being the back line by default, unless Cisse comes back into contention and the either he or Skuse could slot in there. At the minute (accentuated by the injuries) we are very winger heavy and i don't think Millen will want Adomah/Sproule/JCR doing all the defending out wide.

I'm actually more optimistic about tomorrow than i was yesterday morning. If Coppell hasn't been into the job, this will no doubt rub off on the players and now he's goe there may be a bit of a release. I guess we'll see tomorrow if i'm right

-------------------James-------------------

---Hunt----Stewart------Fonts----McAllister--

-----------Elliott----------Skuse------------

---JCR-------------Williams---------Adomah---

---------------------Unsure-------------------

I am not sure who I would put upfront, someone fast to play behind the defence with service from the two wide men and Gavin, or someone to hold the ball up...

I think we will see us revert back to a back 3, so I'd go for (providing fit)....

James

Hunt - Stewart - Fontaine

JCR - Skuse - G Williams - Elliott - McAllister

Adomah - Clarkson

Subs:

Gerken

Edwards

T Williams

Johnson

Sproule

Akinde

Jackson

JCR is more disciplined than Sproule so would be better suited to the WBK role and he did it last season on the left side.

Would go for G Williams over Johnson as Williams is the better creator/more attacking (don't need 3 sitting CMFs), change with Johnson at HT if not working.

And I would give Clarkson one more chance to prove himself in a front 2 (last chance saloon), replace with Akinde at HT if not working.

Playing 352 gives us a reasonably solid spine down the middle and that is where Donny are strongest.

BCAGFC

Don't want to pick holes in the OP but didn't we play a 4-3-3 on sat?

Not denying that Coppell was moving towards a 4-4-2 but would a 4-5-1 be more effective, given the lack of Orr now?

I don't think (from what i've seen of Hunt in the past) hunt has the attributes to be a WB and may as well be dropped than play CB

Also I'd question Campbell-Ryces defensive attributes

given it's early days I don't mind what Millen Plays as long as it's as close to the formation he'll want to play with a fully fit squad as possible - so the entire squad gets used to his way of playing

Archived