IGNORED

Agents' Fees

Bangkok Red

Totally agree. Can,t understand how we got to this state.

Well to some extent the problem is nothing new. If you go back to the late 1950s the maximum wage for a footballer was £20 a week. This was regarded as slave wages by the players union and the likes of Jimmy Hill, who lobbied hard to get the cap removed.

£20 a week sounds rubbish but at the time the annual income of the average worker was around £200 - so top players were already earning approx five times the average income (if average income now is approx £25,000, that cap would be approx £125,000 a year, which is a typical League One wage).

In 1961 the Players' Union won a battle to abolish the maximum wage, and players were free to negotiate their own terms. Johnny Haynes of Fulham was the best paid player folliowing the union's victory, earning £100 a week. So, at a stroke, wages of top players increased X5.

There were no agents at the time, but you still had a situation in which the top players were earning 25 times more than the man in the street.

The situation has clearly got completely out of hand in the last few years - if you applied the same X25 earning ratio to 2010, the top salary in the Prem would be around £625,000 a year. In reality you put another nought on the end of that when you are talking to Man City.

I personally couldn't care less when JT, Lamps and co earn - what worries me is the trickle down effect and how it impacts on BCFC. I really don't want us to be paying average players more than £100,000 a year (even that sounds mad when I write it!), yet we clearly are...

The situation has clearly got completely out of hand in the last few years

Goes back much further than that. Freedom of contract and the Bosman ruling were the key turning points IMO. The balance of power has shifted towards the players which allows agents to step in and hold clubs to ransom.

Archived