IGNORED

Left Back, Left Footed Left Wing, Creative Centre Mid

enever

Okay, I should start by saying we, as football fans, will never be totally "happy", or even agree. However my opinion, and by the looks of most of the other posts on here, the general consensus, is that these are the final pieces to complete the jig-saw for a strong Championship squad, and in this order or priority...

LEFT BACK - I have to admit I used to defend Jamie Mac a bit last year, but its become embarrassing now. For me a Matt Hill type DEFENSIVE left back is a must.

LEFT FOOTED LEFT WINGER - since Mcindoe left us, we do look unbalanced. is this Phillips guy from Wycombe left footed?

CREATIVE CENTRE MID - these Irish lads may turn out to be stars in this position, but clearly it is too early for them now. Johnson did really well yesterday but I just think lacks that bit of bite/ strength. great squad player / sub though. I also think we as a team and Elliot as an individual looks better alongside a "ball player"

based on making these three acquisitions (which i believe we may make one of in the next week hopefully), I believe we have a VERY strong championship squad. Especially when you think we are still relatively new to the league and have never had parachute payments etc.

so playing "champ man" style management, If we could sign these three positions, the first team squad below looks pretty impressive (when fully fit). I have split the squad into matchday, players to loan out/ youth who aren't quite there yet and those that need to be got rid

GOALKEEPERS

James

Gerken - (great backup)

DEFENDERS

CENTRE BACK

Stewart - (needs some leadership)

Carey - ( getting on now but we have missed his leadership clearly!)

Fontaine - (personally really rate him and has good pace, but I think leadership has been missing without Carey, unfortunately)

RIGHT BACK

Hunt - ( He has admitted he isn't fit and I also think he has been out of first team football for a long time and needs to adjust...fingers crossed!)

Ribeiro - (remember his jinking runs from CB at the end of last season! cant wait for him to be fit)

LEFT BACK

New signing

McAllister - (past it, but compared to Tom Williams, descent cover when you think that cover at LB is rarely needed)

MIDFIELDERS

DEFENSIVE CENTRE MID

Elliot

Cisse - (cover for centre back)

Skuse - (great man as back-up to pretty much any position)

CREATIVE CENTRE MID

New signing

Lee Johnson

RIGHT WING

Sproule

Haynes

LEFT WING

New Signing

JCR

WINGERS/ GENERAL FRONT MEN

Adomah - (impressed by him yesterday. Fitted the cliche "raw" very well, but in a good day. I dont think even he knew what he was doing some times! great to watch)

STRIKERS

TARGET MEN

Vokes

Stead

LITTLE'UNS

Maynard

Pitman

LOAN OUT/ TOO YOUNG/ DON'T KNOW ENOUGH ABOUT!

Henderson

Wilson

Ball

Lennox

Hoban

Keohane

Akinde

GET RID

Clarkson - (descent player but bit of an enigma. neither strong and big nor small and quick. poor mans Brooker IMO)

T.Williams - (based purely on an awful pre-season, including the Blackpool game!)

G.Williams - (I happen to love him, but clearly there is something missing according to now three managers. I would keep him until we got a new CM as i think Le Johnson may offer more as cover)

Jackson - (just dont think he is going to make it. hopefully will do an Odejavi and prove us wrong)

Nyatanga - (too much of a liability and would prefer Cisse and Ribeiro as CB cover)

Styvar - (why is he even here still!?)

Again, just an opinion and the point of this forum seems to be to argue...so let the arguing begin! But the point I am making is that once you break it down like that, get rid of the ones we dont need, and discount the inevitable youngsters as above, we DO NOT have a stupidly big "first team" squad. I make it a 23 man "first team squad" which is perfect. And if we got those three positions sorted, we would in fact have a very balanced squad with two decent players in each position, and that is how I tried to break it down above.

I am an optimist mind you!

picking a first team from that, when fully fit, is one hell of a job though! especially as we have't seen enough of the new guys to really know what they have to offer. for what its worth, whilst I am writing this stupidly long post...this might be mine based on all players being at their best...

JAMES

RIBEIRO CAREY STEWART NEW SIGNING

HAYNES NEW SIGNING ELLIOT NEW SIGNING

STEAD/ VOKES MAYNARD

subs

GERKEN

FONTAINE

SKUSE

CISSE

ADOMAH

STEAD/ VOKES

PITMAN

actually, scrap that, because I couldnt leave out Sproule and JCR! who knows!

let me know if I have missed out any players! and I am feel free to merge with other topics if needed. I just though it got a bit too big to be a reply!

Archived