IGNORED

Carver Or Wigley

Dastardly and Muttley

Thought it would be an interesting debate, given the relative status and ambition of the two clubs and new managers.

Gary Speed, another brand new manager in his first role, appointed John Carver as his assistant at Sheffield United. Carver, most recently at Plymouth, has been at Newcastle for many a year and has been a successful and respected assistant manager and coach. He appears to have great character and commands respect from the players, and has great experience at the top level.

Millen chose Wigley, another experienced coach with a great CV of working with and developing youngsters. He had a short, failed spell in the hot seat at Southampton, but has great experience at a long list of clubs across the league. He has also been involved with England as core development coach for the 17-19 year old age range.

Both men are vastly experienced, highly respected coaches. They should both have a wide range of contacts within the game and have both been brought in to assist new, inexperienced managers.

Which club do you think got the best deal? Sheff Utd with Carver, or us with Wigley?

Personally, I feel both clubs did well. We need someone who can help with the younger players in our team, and Sheff Utd needed someone with top level experience, who can be the "bad cop" in Gary Speed's management team. I don't think either club would swap given the opportunity. However, I feel that the appointment of Wigley just shows how well Millen has done to attract him. A big name such as Gary Speed has attracted an assistant with a similar level of experience and ability as our man.

Archived