IGNORED

Squad

Davros

6, 12, 12, 3 is about right for a balanced 33 man squad.

6 forwards (Nicky Maynard, David Clarkson, John Akinde, Marlon Jackson, Sam Vokes, Then we have Stead and Pittman) 7 players but ones a loan so spot on

12 midfielders ( Marvin Elliott, Lee Johnson, Danny Haynes, Cole Skuse, Gavin Williams, Ivan Sproule, Jamal Campbell-Ryce, Kalifa Cisse, Joe Lennox, Albert Adomah, Patrick Hoban, Jimmy Keohane ) spot on \o/

12 defenders (Tom Williams, Danny Ball, Joe Edwards, Lewin Nyatanga, Christian Ribeiro, James Wilson, Louis Carey, Damion Stewart, Liam Fontaine, Jamie McAllister Nicky Hunt) 11 not too bad

3 keepers ( David James, Stephen Henderson, Dean Gerken) perfect

The only faults you can pick with that squad are that we are very right sided in midfield and we have far to many senior pros in the side and not enough youngsters comming through but maybe to many in denfense.

I have not included Styvar as he's not worth counting and Haynes is a midfielder as much as a striker. Were not a million miles away so dont worry :) 24-25 is what is considered a good number to train with but you obviously want good youth comming through to make up the numbers. I wouldnt be in a rush to loan out any players, until I knew who my best side was.

I think the problem of too many senior pro's is a long term one, that needs to be addressed with the improvement of our youth/acadamy system.

midfield is a concern for me. it is not only unbalanced but consists of highly inconsistent or average performers - Elliot, Johnson, Sproule, JCR, Skuse (perhaps more consistently average). this puts pressure on the rest of the team, causing inconsistency in their game and a set of erratic results. i sometimes think our league finish in the championship (bar year 1) has been generated by some great spinning fruit machine which, by divine providence, determines our results irrespective of team performance. the unpredictability of the midfield inevitably generates the chance element of the fruit machine.

i've also been disappointed with midfield acquisitions this year, although Keith - please-, there's time for that to change. i would surprised if we see either of the irish boys in a city shirt this season; i'm all for hidden gems but i think it'll be a considerable amount of time before we see these two polished. it's wild to pin hopes on them just yet. cisse is yet to be proven although we understand he used to do a job. albert is doing fantastically well so far considering where he has come from but he could still go either way. all in all we're yet to see whether these boys will improve the midfield which, remembering last year, even with Hartley, was a major problem. Maynard made 50% of his 20 goals - without that where are we?

it would be nice if we're able to offload what Milly might perceive as some of the right sided chaff (i think, regretfully, i speak here of Ivan or Jam - sometimes they're great to watch) before the window closes to free up funds for the other side of the pitch. i was disappointed to hear the phillips rumour go away. but as far as numbers go, can't complain. quality, perhaps we might have expected more of midfield.

midfield is a concern for me. it is not only unbalanced but consists of highly inconsistent or average performers - Elliot, Johnson, Sproule, JCR, Skuse (perhaps more consistently average). this puts pressure on the rest of the team, causing inconsistency in their game and a set of erratic results. i sometimes think our league finish in the championship (bar year 1) has been generated by some great spinning fruit machine which, by divine providence, determines our results irrespective of team performance. the unpredictability of the midfield inevitably generates the chance element of the fruit machine.

i've also been disappointed with midfield acquisitions this year, although Keith - please-, there's time for that to change. i would surprised if we see either of the irish boys in a city shirt this season; i'm all for hidden gems but i think it'll be a considerable amount of time before we see these two polished. it's wild to pin hopes on them just yet. cisse is yet to be proven although we understand he used to do a job. albert is doing fantastically well so far considering where he has come from but he could still go either way. all in all we're yet to see whether these boys will improve the midfield which, remembering last year, even with Hartley, was a major problem. Maynard made 50% of his 20 goals - without that where are we?

it would be nice if we're able to offload what Milly might perceive as some of the right sided chaff (i think, regretfully, i speak here of Ivan or Jam - sometimes they're great to watch) before the window closes to free up funds for the other side of the pitch. i was disappointed to hear the phillips rumour go away. but as far as numbers go, can't complain. quality, perhaps we might have expected more of midfield.

I think I agree with you there but I think January is going to be the time milly will address these other areas, I think main thing not to do is try and change to many players in 1 go 11 players in a squad is insaine number to change this on top of the change the season before. I think milly is spot on when he say now is the time to gel.

33 is 'about right' unless you happen to be paying for it. For me I'd prefer a much more tightly knit squad, say 10x2 outfielders +3GK +youngsters as and when needed for training and covering for injuries.

The only faults you can pick with that squad are that we are very right sided in midfield and we have far to many senior pros in the side and not enough youngsters comming through but maybe to many in denfense.

That's four faults then. As someone posted on an earlier thread. It's time for some to go and for money to be re-directed into quality in certain positions, as and when the opportunity arises.

33 is 'about right' unless you happen to be paying for it. For me I'd prefer a much more tightly knit squad, say 10x2 outfielders +3GK +youngsters as and when needed for training and covering for injuries.

That's four faults then. As someone posted on an earlier thread. It's time for some to go and for money to be re-directed into quality in certain positions, as and when the opportunity arises.

I dont disagree that there are flaws, I just dont think they are things that can be fixed asap I think 20 or so senior pro's is about right with 5 younger pro's and then the rest made up of youth. I think most likley though we wont see these issues addressed for some time. Its all about the understudy it used to be you had a reserve keeper and a main keeper and the understudy I think hederseon for example should go and one of the acadamy keepers brought through. The midfield needs to have a fairly good reschuffle as does the defence but they are all long term things we need to get players out and replace them with either quality pros or bring through youth. It's not a quick fix but I also dont think the imbalances in the squad will stop us from moving forward this season. I think the wage bill is going to be massive however........

I do wonder about the gelling process...how necessary is it really? I've recently started a new job, if I needed several weeks before I started to work effectively with my colleagues, interpreting their methods, preferences and styles I think I'd be poorly looked upon. My boss tells me what needs doing and I do it, knowing full well what everyone elses role is. Much like the BCFC players, I spend all day with my colleagues however I do not benefit from a fitness coach to keep me trimly fitting my stomach beneath my desk, a physio to rub me down when I get home and free travel to work twice a week. I think we're a bit soft on them to be honest. Although I do make an obvious over simplification in my analogy, does it not have some merit?

No amount of gelling got Ivan and Bradders to play well together. Nobody really quite gelled with Nicky Maynard last season - who was his strike partner? We can't really say he and Danny gelled to great effect; more that their styles complimented one another occassionally. I don't remember them linking up a la Shearer/Sutton, Cole/Yorke - although we seem to talk less of strike duos these days; even Drogba and Anelka appear to play as seperate entities. Had the steady defence that conceded what probably amounted to 15 points in late goals gelled very well? Liam has been playing alongside Louis for 2+ years hasn't he? Over half of the players signed so far were signed by Coppell too, does that make Millen's job of gelling his own team more difficult?

I appreciate a certain amount of 'bonding' needs to take place, first names and all that. Maybe take them all to GoApe. I just wonder what really is meant by gelling? Any great examples anyone can think of? Where overhauled squads have gelled to great effect after a shaky start? The Chelsea team assembled by Mourinho didn't seem to need it. Mancini's Man City don't appear to need it. Is it just an excuse or does it only apply to lower quality players?!

3, 12, 12, 6 is far too many. It should be closer to 3, 9, 9, 5.

Only when have you have to many senior pro's even pompy after their cull have a 30 player squad but the oposite to us to much youth not enough senior pro's. Overall squad size vs the 1st team squad are 2 different things. I think Gary Johnson liked to work with a 28 man squad and thats what most international tounies allow but you have to allow for youth to come through as well for example you cant count Joe Lennox as a full squad memeber yet but he should be trying to get into contention and getting better over time the same for the 2 irish lads and so on by the time you eliminate youth you end up with a decent squad of 20-25 but at the moment we have too many seniors so the route for youth is blocked so to speak.

I think Davros is right about the squad composition although in our position I would decrease the number of quality senior pros to 16-17. This is where money is spent and these are your core dependable infantry - the marines. Several supplementary young pros should be cheap gambles - artillery as it were. The rest must be academy boys, young reserves back at Camp Ashton ready to step into the breach and prove their credentials.

The academy must cost nigh on 1 million to run each year (anyone know?). It has to be profitable, either in terms of player sales or a winning goal in the FA Cup final scored by City lad born and bred. These boys need a chance. We can afford to lose players like T.Williams, Nyatanga, Henderson and JCR to give them a chance. They have a contract, they are supposedly good enough to merit it; let them really prove it.

3, 12, 12, 6 is far too many. It should be closer to 3, 9, 9, 5.

In an ideal world I would say 2, 8, 8, 4 (22) is enough 22 to 35/end of career year olds and then 1, 4, 4, 2 (11) for 16 to 22 year olds that are good enough to break into the first team squad which gives us the figure 33.

I think this a lot of people to organise but it is by no means impossible - you move people in and out of certain discussions and decisions and lower the numbers to the numbers required for efficient use on the fly, for example if your trying to work on your shape then you can bring the squad you expect to take into your next match, organise them and then send them out to play against the best of the rest.

I think I agree with you there but I think January is going to be the time milly will address these other areas, I think main thing not to do is try and change to many players in 1 go 11 players in a squad is insaine number to change this on top of the change the season before. I think milly is spot on when he say now is the time to gel.

I agree with a lot you have to say if im honest, although you state January is the time Milly will address the other areas. I dont understand why. I can see it, im sure you can see it, as can many others....including Coppout and his words "the squad is not balanced".

Its still not balanced now. We are 1 or 2 players away having a solid enough squad to push for another top10 this year.....the left hand side HAS to be addressed now, and not January. By then, it will be "they need time to gel" and before we know it...another season has come and gone.

Certain areas of the team were weak 12/18 months ago.....and it should have been sorted then

I agree with a lot you have to say if im honest, although you state January is the time Milly will address the other areas. I dont understand why. I can see it, im sure you can see it, as can many others....including Coppout and his words "the squad is not balanced".

Its still not balanced now. We are 1 or 2 players away having a solid enough squad to push for another top10 this year.....the left hand side HAS to be addressed now, and not January. By then, it will be "they need time to gel" and before we know it...another season has come and gone.

Certain areas of the team were weak 12/18 months ago.....and it should have been sorted then

I think we have a squad that can swim but like you say not a top 10 side but niether do i think we will get religated but I think for milly is more about not bitting off more than you can chew at a time.

Archived