IGNORED

Sainsbury's Application

The Red Planet

Well, I ducked out of all meetings until the week before the planning meeting, but the impression I had was no one was really doing anything up until just before the meeting. If they had, thee may have been many more objections (or not) - who knows....

Of course the GBCP also includes Sean Beynon, Colin Smith and Mark Bradshaw (all Labour councillors)

Opposition to supermarkets at AG has included varying numbers of ex-Labour councillors, me (Green) and George (LibDem) plus many people not aligned to any political party. Whether we count as green activists, well, depends on your definition.

Btw, I was one of the hecklers at the back. I actually felt a bit guilty afterwards - not for the councillors - who choose the life - but the officers.

Hi Charlie

Your presence is becoming quite frequent on here, Have you abandoned the blues of west London, or is there a conspiracy theory going to emerge?

Re; GBCP you know full well that the decision making and day to day running of that partnership is done by a small circle of people (who are against the plans) such as Alice, Ben, Diane, Tess and a few others. Most people are excluded by apathy within the area.

In fact some of those people in that exclusive sect would like other members excluded as well, such as BCFC.

I doubt there could have been any more objections, that is unless they invented some more neighbourhood groups or brought in the guides and scouts.

Everyone and their kids were present with one exception, Sacredsprings monsters.

Waffle-waffle-waffle-waffle-waffle-waffle-waffle-waffle+loads more waffle, awful!!!

Insincere, typical politicians rhetoric in print. I don't expect the blighter typed it either.

I would'nt have expected a reply any different to this.

People like this simply do not do U-turns.

Bristol City Council have robbed the people of Bristol of the huge benefits of having a new stadium/sports centre, not only that, but the added prosperity that staging World Cup football in Bristol would have brought in many millions of much needed revenue.

Shame be on them.

disapointed2se.gif

Well, I ducked out of all meetings until the week before the planning meeting, but the impression I had was no one was really doing anything up until just before the meeting. If they had, thee may have been many more objections (or not) - who knows....

Of course the GBCP also includes Sean Beynon, Colin Smith and Mark Bradshaw (all Labour councillors)

Opposition to supermarkets at AG has included varying numbers of ex-Labour councillors, me (Green) and George (LibDem) plus many people not aligned to any political party. Whether we count as green activists, well, depends on your definition.

Btw, I was one of the hecklers at the back. I actually felt a bit guilty afterwards - not for the councillors - who choose the life - but the officers.

Whatever you think of Charlie Bolton and his views, I say GOOD ON YOU for coming on to this forum and giving us your perspective.

After all, at it's best, this place is supposed to be somewhere you can give your own opinion about anything related to the club (and often not) and have other people challenge (or agree with) your statements - that is what it's all about.

The modern equivalent of a Debating Society I suppose.

Having started this topic (or rather re-ignited it after Simon's e-mail), I think his defence of their decision is shaky to say the least and others have put much more detail into that, thanks.

For what it's worth, my forecast is that the new stadium will get built with or without a successful appeal to the JS planning application.

That does not mean that our "campaign" to support the application should not continue.

Charlie,

You mention opposition to supermarkets at AG "Opposition to supermarkets at AG has included varying numbers of ex-Labour councillors, me (Green) and George (LibDem)"

I have never really thought about the political preferences of the last person you mention (George), perhaps I have not paid attention to his affiliation in the past, as I've only been aware of his very public opposition to plans for AG which don't involve his own.

I take it you refer to George Ferguson being a LIB Dem.

Waffle-waffle-waffle-waffle-waffle-waffle-waffle-waffle+loads more waffle, awful!!!

Insincere, typical politicians rhetoric in print. I don't expect the blighter typed it either.

I would'nt have expected a reply any different to this.

People like this simply do not do U-turns.

Bristol City Council have robbed the people of Bristol of the huge benefits of having a new stadium/sports centre, not only that, but the added prosperity that staging World Cup football in Bristol would have brought in many millions of much needed revenue.

Shame be on them.

disapointed2se.gif

Well written Redbarn. Let's also remember that those same politicians - that are anti Bristolian sport and anti Sainsbury's purchase to fund the new stadium - would be the first to milk any money and success that the new stadium would bring to Bristol.

Like it or not, I'd suggest that some LibDems have a notion of sustainability which means they find it very hard to support the idea of a massive great supermarket being built, possibly at all, but certainly near local shops. they actually are sold on the idea of localism, including strong local shops.

Charlie, I will at least commend you for coming on here to directly debate the subject rather than sticking to the identi-kit green views among your supporters on your own blog and Southville forums, it shows a level of community awareness and openness that I perhaps hadn't appreciated previously.

However, on your above remark, whilst not asking you to speak for the LiDems, the view of "a massive great supermarket ... near local shops" is clearly also one that you hold, so I'd like to ask, what are the five nearest retail businesses to the stadium currently and how would you describe their premises?

In a funny way, i think the LDs who opposed the Sainsburies application were utterly principled in their decision. (Although, not your principles). No politican wants to alienate many thousand city fans for no good reason, but they have managed to do it anyway.......

You're confusing personal and professional principles. I have no doubt Rayner et al allowed personal principle to rule their decision making in spite of the advice they were given so agree with you on that score, unfortunately in decisions such as this to do so is to abandon professional principles.

Whilst people no doubt get into politics because for the former, for someone holding public office I'm afraid the latter is most important. I am quite happy for the councillors I pay for to have a spine and an opinion, but to make decisions against professional advice and based on personal preference? Sorry, not on.

Opposition to supermarkets at AG has included... me (Green) and George (LibDem) plus many people not aligned to any political party. Whether we count as green activists, well, depends on your definition.

Interesting qualifier you've given there for Mr. Ferguson, can I ask politely and with genuine interest your basis for it? Only it's a particular matter of record which amongst other things the EP censured (I assume on the basis it was not provable) but I have long assumed he hadn't abandoned his political preferences.

I don't think there is a definition for Green Activists here but it is as good as any other title for describing the collective who hijacked the planning meeting under the illusion of being unrelated to one another. I'm pleased to see you confirm knowing Tony Dyer, whose views Simon Rayner used, as that just about caps it.

I have never really thought about the political preferences of the last person you mention (George), perhaps I have not paid attention to his affiliation in the past, as I've only been aware of his very public opposition to plans for AG which don't involve his own. I take it you refer to George Ferguson being a LIB Dem.

Rich - after all your well researched and informed postings you undo it all like that - or are you being sarcastic! :) George was a Liberal councillor and a Liberal Parliamentary Election candidate in Bristol. I thought the affiliation relative to the decision makers merited some mention in my original series of posts.

Ole, I have said it before, some weeks ago, but I make no apology for repeating it. Your meticulous attention to detail, expertise and encyclopaedic knowledge of the case is tremendous and means the slippery buggers can't get away with the tiniest little thing on your watch. Your determination and persistence is positively heroic and I hope you continue to be aware how appreciative literally thousands of us are of the amount of time and energy you're investing in this on behalf of all of us. I hope you have the stamina for the long haul and that the eventual outcome brings reward for everything you've put into it. Thank you.

CC

Ole, I have said it before, some weeks ago, but I make no apology for repeating it. Your meticulous attention to detail, expertise and encyclopaedic knowledge of the case is tremendous and means the slippery buggers can't get away with the tiniest little thing on your watch. Your determination and persistence is positively heroic and I hope you continue to be aware how appreciative literally thousands of us are of the amount of time and energy you're investing in this on behalf of all of us. I hope you have the stamina for the long haul and that the eventual outcome brings reward for everything you've put into it. Thank you.

CC

....completely agree with the above, nicely put Cliff, well done & thanks Ole

....completely agree with the above, nicely put Cliff, well done & thanks Ole

Hear, hear from me too, brilliant work OLE. I'd vote for you - whichever party you represented, I can think of two political parties it would certainly not be !

What I want to know is (assuming an appeal will be made) are JS and/or the club senior management aware of all your research and would any of your findings be admissable at an appeal hearing ?

I think Ole should stand as an independent in the next election. He would get a lot of support.

Failing that and/or the formation of a Robins Party (not in favour of single issue parties myself), can anyone one inform us of when the seats of those councillors who are anti-Sainsburys are next subject to the electorate?

Given the current declining popularity of the LibDems in general, I imagine the shelf-life of Simon and his chums is limited but I trust City fans would do everything they can to hasten the democratic process in those seats ...

... oh, and I speak as an ex Lib Dem voter going back to 1975 ... Rayner can squinny all he likes the party line toed on this decision is clear for all to see and Ole's diligence has proven its foundations.

Rayner - "The decision the Committee had to make was not straightforward and the pressure on Members at the meeting was intense." - yes, pressure from Ferguson and cohorts.

Charlie, I will at least commend you for coming on here to directly debate the subject rather than sticking to the identi-kit green views among your supporters on your own blog and Southville forums, it shows a level of community awareness and openness that I perhaps hadn't appreciated previously.

However, on your above remark, whilst not asking you to speak for the LiDems, the view of "a massive great supermarket ... near local shops" is clearly also one that you hold, so I'd like to ask, what are the five nearest retail businesses to the stadium currently and how would you describe their premises?

You're confusing personal and professional principles. I have no doubt Rayner et al allowed personal principle to rule their decision making in spite of the advice they were given so agree with you on that score, unfortunately in decisions such as this to do so is to abandon professional principles.

Whilst people no doubt get into politics because for the former, for someone holding public office I'm afraid the latter is most important. I am quite happy for the councillors I pay for to have a spine and an opinion, but to make decisions against professional advice and based on personal preference? Sorry, not on.

Interesting qualifier you've given there for Mr. Ferguson, can I ask politely and with genuine interest your basis for it? Only it's a particular matter of record which amongst other things the EP censured (I assume on the basis it was not provable) but I have long assumed he hadn't abandoned his political preferences.

I don't think there is a definition for Green Activists here but it is as good as any other title for describing the collective who hijacked the planning meeting under the illusion of being unrelated to one another. I'm pleased to see you confirm knowing Tony Dyer, whose views Simon Rayner used, as that just about caps it.

Rich - after all your well researched and informed postings you undo it all like that - or are you being sarcastic! :) George was a Liberal councillor and a Liberal Parliamentary Election candidate in Bristol. I thought the affiliation relative to the decision makers merited some mention in my original series of posts.

Ole.

No it wasn't sarcasm, I did know of his previous political history, I just forgot and wanted to confirm it was GF Charlie was talking about, as another George has been commenting on the Berate or Basics sites in the past Year or so.

Doing this campaigning/debating for some fifteen months and trying to counter the arguments of Charlie, Berate, Basics, Tess Green, Chris Uttley, Tony Dyer, Chris Hutt (RIP), Ali Robertson, North St Trader, Tena lady, Alice F, George F (both anonymous) Ben Barker, Sacredspring (little sh!te), Ann, Dianne, Gareth Rae, Jo Cross and numerous other opposition voices, morning noon and night (ask my wife) has proven to be been very exhausting and it appears I made a mistake.

I hope all my efforts haven't been undone by it, thanks for pointing it out though, (Sarcasm) :)

I wish you were more involved earlier, perhaps you were under a different name. Your knowledge, tenacity and expertise would have been invaluable and we might have seen a different outcome.

Don't stop, there's another battle looming on the horizon, I think.

Rich

Archived