IGNORED

Scunthorpe Telegraph!

CiderCraig

Don't know if anyone else noticed the post from the Scunny newspaper last week?, but I have been in contact with them and have answered the following questions which they asked me!...

City seemed to be expecting a decent campaign following Steve Coppell's arrival during the summer. Have things changed since his decision to quit?

How much of a shock was his exit for fans?

Is Keith Millen a decent replacement? How do you expect he will fare in the job?

Much was heralded about the signing of David James. How has he fared so far? Will he prove a good signing?

The Robins have started the season pretty poorly. What's been behind that form?

Injuries seem to have been a problem too. How key have they been?

Did they strengthen well enough before the transfer window shut, or are they in need of some loan signings? If so, in what areas?

What have you made of the Iron's start to the campaign?

Where will Saturday's game be won and lost? ......

Indeed, expectations were high locally when Steve Coppell (SC) was appointed, Gary Johnson (previous manager) had 'lost' the changing room, and Steve Coppell was a very popular choice to take us to the next level. I don't think the expectation levels dropped following SC's departure, more a sense of deep frustration at his seemingly inability to cope with pressure- I see him linked with other clubs when vacancies arise and wonder now, who on earth would touch him with the proverbial barge poll!. A promotion challenge is still very much on the agenda, and for me SC not being at the helm could well prove a blessing in disguise.

It was definitely a shock when he left, our pre season hadn't been amazing, losing several games to lower division and non-league opposition, but despite concerns over these losses no-one expected his early departure. The sense of shock was a short term feeling though as Bristol City supporters are generally used to adversities (planning problems regarding their proposed new stadium being the latest!). And in 1982 we were minutes, nay seconds from folding, so we tend to be hardy to shocks nowadays!.

Keith Millen has been a stalwart for Bristol City, from his playing days, where he battled for everything- to his assisting firstly Brian Tinnion and then Gary Johnson, and to his being caretaker manager after each of their departures. He had a great end of season last season leading us to a respectable finish with 5 wins and 3 draws from our final 9 games (we were looking over our shoulders at one point). I think he will be a good manager for us, he has respect from all levels at Ashton Gate- I can see only positives with his appointment!.

David James, the much maligned David James!. I was amazed when watching Sky Sports News at his signing for us, there had been rumours galore on various sites, but even the most optimistic city supporter thought this was only pure speculation). It would be fair to say that he has had a baptism of fire since joining us, playing behind a very leaky defence. He has made a few errors already, mainly the two at Ipswich last time out, which cost us the points. I think once we are back at full strength (including a couple of much needed loan signings) he will prove to be a good signing. Being 40 as a goalkeeper is not an issue nowadays, and he's fitter than a lot of layers half is age!.

City generally start seasons 'slowly', this season being no exception yet probably slower than normal- we have scored a fair few goals, but have conceded more... Numerous signings pre-season must have contributed to our poor start, integrating lots of new faces into a team normally takes time, and this is definitely the case with us this season. We haven't gelled yet, and to be brutally honest I don't think we are even close to being a unit. We still have regular players to come back into the team, but the side we have at present is rather disjointed.

It has been a nightmare regards injuries, first and foremost the injury to Nicky Maynard, which we now know will keep him out until the new year (at best!). One of our other main attacking players Danny Haynes has been out throughout pre-season and the start of this season. There are whispers of him being involved this weekend, but I think it may be a little early still for him. Club captain Louis Carey managed to injure himself pre-season whilst attending a bar-b-q!, speaks volumes regards our luck with fitness issues this season, things can only get better!.

As expressed before, I feel we brought in a lot of players for the new season but we desperately need a left-sided player (or two). Our left side is desperately weak and we have been 'found out' quite a few times so far this season. The players we have brought in have been strong, I especially like Brett Pitman, brought in from Bournemouth- I think he will cut it in the Championship, especially alongside Nicky Maynard on his return. Jon Stead however, isn't such a good signing for me, he seems to have drifted through his career and I can't envisage him doing well this season, I think he'll end up on the bench more and more and ultimately move on next season. I think the defence STILL needs strengthening and wouldn't be surprised to see another defender brought in.

I have to say I am surprised at your early season form, but pleasantly so!. Your last campaign in the Championship was a very disappointing one for you and I can see this time around you have strengthened your squad accordingly, and with Joe Murphy you have one the best keepers in the division!. I also think Jonathon Forte is going to have a decent goal return this time around. Your opening day win at Reading raised a few eyebrows for sure as I think Reading will be challengers this season, and your win over Crystal Palace was very impressive. For obvious reasons I hope you come unstuck against us on Saturday, but I think if we come away with a point we'll be content. You'll finish the season in the top 10 I think, and maybe, just maybe sneak into the play offs!. I think with a couple of our players coming back in to fold this weekend we will give you a tough game, but a 0-0 draw is my forecast.

I wish The Iron a good season...

this will be published tomorrow!. I just wondered what you guys thought of my views!?

Don't know if anyone else noticed the post from the Scunny newspaper last week?, but I have been in contact with them and have answered the following questions which they asked me!...

City seemed to be expecting a decent campaign following Steve Coppell's arrival during the summer. Have things changed since his decision to quit?

Is Keith Millen a decent replacement? How do you expect he will fare in the job?

Much was heralded about the signing of David James. How has he fared so far? Will he prove a good signing?

Did they strengthen well enough before the transfer window shut, or are they in need of some loan signings? If so, in what areas?

Indeed, expectations were high locally when Steve Coppell (SC) was appointed, Gary Johnson (previous manager) had 'lost' the changing room, and Steve Coppell was a very popular choice to take us to the next level. I don't think the expectation levels dropped following SC's departure, more a sense of deep frustration at his seemingly inability to cope with pressure- I see him linked with other clubs when vacancies arise and wonder now, who on earth would touch him with the proverbial barge poll!. A promotion challenge is still very much on the agenda, and for me SC not being at the helm could well prove a blessing in disguise.

It was definitely a shock when he left, our pre season hadn't been amazing, losing several games to lower division and non-league opposition, but despite concerns over these losses no-one expected his early departure. The sense of shock was a short term feeling though as Bristol City supporters are generally used to adversities (planning problems regarding their proposed new stadium being the latest!). And in 1982 we were minutes, nay seconds from folding, so we tend to be hardy to shocks nowadays!.

Keith Millen has been a stalwart for Bristol City, from his playing days, where he battled for everything- to his assisting firstly Brian Tinnion and then Gary Johnson, and to his being caretaker manager after each of their departures. He had a great end of season last season leading us to a respectable finish with 5 wins and 3 draws from our final 9 games (we were looking over our shoulders at one point). I think he will be a good manager for us, he has respect from all levels at Ashton Gate- I can see only positives with his appointment!.

David James, the much maligned David James!. I was amazed when watching Sky Sports News at his signing for us, there had been rumours galore on various sites, but even the most optimistic city supporter thought this was only pure speculation). It would be fair to say that he has had a baptism of fire since joining us, playing behind a very leaky defence. He has made a few errors already, mainly the two at Ipswich last time out, which cost us the points. I think once we are back at full strength (including a couple of much needed loan signings) he will prove to be a good signing. Being 40 as a goalkeeper is not an issue nowadays, and he's fitter than a lot of layers half is age!.

City generally start seasons 'slowly', this season being no exception yet probably slower than normal- we have scored a fair few goals, but have conceded more... Numerous signings pre-season must have contributed to our poor start, integrating lots of new faces into a team normally takes time, and this is definitely the case with us this season. We haven't gelled yet, and to be brutally honest I don't think we are even close to being a unit. We still have regular players to come back into the team, but the side we have at present is rather disjointed.

It has been a nightmare regards injuries, first and foremost the injury to Nicky Maynard, which we now know will keep him out until the new year (at best!). One of our other main attacking players Danny Haynes has been out throughout pre-season and the start of this season. There are whispers of him being involved this weekend, but I think it may be a little early still for him. Club captain Louis Carey managed to injure himself pre-season whilst attending a bar-b-q!, speaks volumes regards our luck with fitness issues this season, things can only get better!.

As expressed before, I feel we brought in a lot of players for the new season but we desperately need a left-sided player (or two). Our left side is desperately weak and we have been 'found out' quite a few times so far this season. The players we have brought in have been strong, I especially like Brett Pitman, brought in from Bournemouth- I think he will cut it in the Championship, especially alongside Nicky Maynard on his return. Jon Stead however, isn't such a good signing for me, he seems to have drifted through his career and I can't envisage him doing well this season, I think he'll end up on the bench more and more and ultimately move on next season. I think the defence STILL needs strengthening and wouldn't be surprised to see another defender brought in.

I have to say I am surprised at your early season form, but pleasantly so!. Your last campaign in the Championship was a very disappointing one for you and I can see this time around you have strengthened your squad accordingly, and with Joe Murphy you have one the best keepers in the division!. I also think Jonathon Forte is going to have a decent goal return this time around. Your opening day win at Reading raised a few eyebrows for sure as I think Reading will be challengers this season, and your win over Crystal Palace was very impressive. For obvious reasons I hope you come unstuck against us on Saturday, but I think if we come away with a point we'll be content. You'll finish the season in the top 10 I think, and maybe, just maybe sneak into the play offs!. I think with a couple of our players coming back in to fold this weekend we will give you a tough game, but a 0-0 draw is my forecast.

this will be published tomorrow!. I just wondered what you guys thought of my views!?

Surely you're just saying this because it's in their local paper? Or do you seriously feel S****horpe have that much grit and quality?

A fair reply CiderCraig, 8 out of 10! Personally (unlike a previous post) I could see Pitman and Maynard in the same line up...they both know where the goal is, two pacey strikers is an interesting option.

Though I would'nt wish S****horpe too much luck!

cool2.gif

Not much to argue with in the assessment of City, but I'd argue far from having a disappointing campaign, S****horpe did brilliantly to stay up. Also, top ten is a bit over the odds, they'd do great to finish 21st in my opinion, with their limited funds, as well as losing McCann and Hooper, survival will equal great success.

Cider C,

just one thing...

* Being 40 as a goalkeeper is not an issue nowadays, and he's fitter than a lot of layers half is age!. * so you think DJ's no spring-chicken then?

All yolking aside, when the real DJ emerges from his shell I think we'll be all white.

Expect a few goalmouth scrambles along the way but he's a good egg & a big part of the BCFC master flan for this season.

When the defence is sorted he wont get turned over too many times & it should be sunny side up :sun: , he must be wondering if he's maybe jumped out of the frying pan & into the fire by joining us at the moment... he'll go off on one now and again,ruffle a few feathers, play the odd stinker & even flip out from time to time but we wont make omelette's without cracking eggs.

It only takes one or two bad eggs in any box to cause leaks & produce sticky situations, they'll be whipped into shape or turfed out soon & DJ's box will be a safe & tidy place. BCFC 2010/11 will prove to be pretty hard boiled & many teams will find us difficult to crack. Things will pan out OK not looking good for cups though.

Phew.. sorry everyone ... thats enough of that, its not good for our cholesterol.

A fair assessment, I feel. Though I really can't see Scunny securing even a top-half berth come the end of season.

They've lost too many good players and it seems inevitable they'll lose their manager too.

I'd like them to stay up though. I very likeable club.

Cider C,

just one thing...

* Being 40 as a goalkeeper is not an issue nowadays, and he's fitter than a lot of layers half is age!. * so you think DJ's no spring-chicken then?

All yolking aside, when the real DJ emerges from his shell I think we'll be all white.

Expect a few goalmouth scrambles along the way but he's a good egg & a big part of the BCFC master flan for this season.

When the defence is sorted he wont get turned over too many times & it should be sunny side up :sun: , he must be wondering if he's maybe jumped out of the frying pan & into the fire by joining us at the moment... he'll go off on one now and again,ruffle a few feathers, play the odd stinker & even flip out from time to time but we wont make omelette's without cracking eggs.

It only takes one or two bad eggs in any box to cause leaks & produce sticky situations, they'll be whipped into shape or turfed out soon & DJ's box will be a safe & tidy place. BCFC 2010/11 will prove to be pretty hard boiled & many teams will find us difficult to crack. Things will pan out OK not looking good for cups though.

Phew.. sorry everyone ... thats enough of that, its not good for our cholesterol.

Eggcellent Whistlehappy, cracking post ! You forgot to mention he prefers to wear yellow - or did that inspire all these dreadful yokes ?

Archived