IGNORED

Cisse Underrated ?

bcfcbs20

It's clear his role in the team is to brake down the play in front of the back four which he does well, but as he wont get alot of the ball and play 40yrd dream balls forward or get into goal scoring positions, will his hard work off the ball go unoticed because I think he will be a very important player for us this year.

It's clear his role in the team is to brake down the play in front of the back four which he does well, but as he wont get alot of the ball and play 40yrd dream balls forward or get into goal scoring positions, will his hard work off the ball go unoticed because I think he will be a very important player for us this year.

He could well do a similar job to:

Mulumbu at WBA

Makelele at Madrid/Chelsea

Lassana Diarra at Chelsea/Pompey

.....and others in that form of player. I think we're quite fluid going forward in terms of player roles and positions etc and Cisse can hopefully be the guy who breaks it up and helps calm our not so solid back line!

He's more than capable of playing that role but i worry some of our fans will get on his back for not scoring or setting up any goals and going unoticed for large parts of the game but really he's doing the ugly nasty stuff extremely well. He's a player we need to balance the team.

from what i heard on rad Bristol yesterday he was doing the Elliot role of years gone by, being physical and frustrating the scunny front line by making tackles and being in the right place at the right time.

If you have only 2 CM's i would drop either Skuse or Elliot and give the other a license to get forward whilst having Cisse as the DM in the pairing.

from what i heard on rad Bristol yesterday he was doing the Elliot role of years gone by, being physical and frustrating the scunny front line by making tackles and being in the right place at the right time.

If you have only 2 CM's i would drop either Skuse or Elliot and give the other a license to get forward whilst having Cisse as the DM in the pairing.

Tackles? Didn't look remotely involved in the game to me.

I said it before and i'll say it again.

a holding midfielder is so key to successful teams nowadays.

Mourinho said Makelele was his best player when at Chelsea.

Granted there is a slight difference between Makelele & Cisse but the role of a DM (football manager speak) is so vital

I have high hopes for Kalifa (know a Reading fan who rates him quite highly) and I agree the holding role can be key, but yesterday he was poor. Didn't break up any play and in all honesty was anonymous throughout.

Has to be considered though that it was only his second game in god knows how long.

I have high hopes for Kalifa (know a Reading fan who rates him quite highly) and I agree the holding role can be key, but yesterday he was poor. Didn't break up any play and in all honesty was anonymous throughout.

Has to be considered though that it was only his second game in god knows how long.

i was about to write a response but your second paragraph summed up what I was going to say.

Guest Parson St Station

Haven't seen seen Cisse play yet but agree with the fact he hasn't been playing for ages just like I've been saying with Hunt patience is needed.

You can probably make the case for Stewart as well, how long was he off for last season? It was quite a while wasn't it?

Granted there is a slight difference between Makelele & Cisse but the role of a DM (football manager speak) is so vital

When Makelele was sold to Chelsea, and Beckham brought in to Real Madrid, Zidane was quoted as saying "they've bought another coat of gold paint for the Bentley, but sold the engine"

A good DMF these days is worth his weight in gold, as he allows the full backs to bomb on and relieves the other MF of defensive chores.

The defence needs as much help as it can at the moment - being basicaly new and still getting fit - and Cisse role at the moment is to do just that - help & protect

As the season progresses and the defence get fitter / more understanding and trusting of eachother then I expect we will see a more attacking role being undertaken

I said it before and i'll say it again.

A holding midfielder role like Makelele played at Chelsea is a very different role to the one played by Elliott and our other players I think.

Makelele sat back, deep, protected the centre halves from a quick break and initiated a lot of play.

You could draw a box from the arc points on the edge of the penalty area to the half way line and you'd rarely find him outside that.

Our closest player to that role is actually Lee Johnson but he doesn't add a great deal defensively. Hartley would have been immense at this IMO.

It's a role that was very useful to Mourinho's 433/451 system and it should be born in mind that that system relied on a line leading forward of Drogba's ability, thirty to forty goals a season from midfield and some exceptional full backs who could cope with the little protection they were offered.

I don't think we have the players for that system even at this level.

Elliot (and to an extent Skuse and Cisse) are high energy players who roam the pitch breaking up play and putting the opposition under pressure. The closest parallel I could think of (style not ability) would I think be the Viera/Petit Arsenal midfield. They were very box to box.

It's difficult to pair one of those players with a "creative" type in a 2 man midfield because they tend to get caught behind the ball a bit too much, but you can put two of them together to great effect IF you have enough width and some creativity up front.

I think Rose may help on the left side and Stead seems a clever player - we shall have to see, because I don't think we'll sign another midfielder now.

Is Cisse underrated? Dunno - why are we rating him? He's only had a handful of games after a pre-season disrupted by injury.

He needs a sensible run in the team and the team needs to settle.

You can probably make the case for Stewart as well, how long was he off for last season? It was quite a while wasn't it?

Indeed I haven't personally noticed stewarts "errors" no defender is perfect, I see him as a replacement to Mccombe and wouldn't be suprised to see Ribs and stewart to take in turns playing with fonts or carey depending on who we are defending( and personal form) against but for the moment still best to let the defence settle and gel together.

From the sounds of it at Scunny and the Aldershot friendly I would say he is playing in front of the back four and not as a box to boxer.

As Louis said we need to be able to go for it ( especially at home) without being totally open on the break which we have at home this term. Maybe Cisse in this role could be the insurance policy we need. However this does give the other CM a lot of work closing down further up the field not to mention the sole job

of creating from midfield.

It will be interesting to see who he picks for the other CM role and how it works

Archived