IGNORED

The Real Problem

Esmond Million's Bung

When you look back over the stats for the previous 4 seasons, The problem is actually laid bare.

We did not score enough goals and why, We did'nt create enough good chances.

Well whilst he was with us Mcindoe was by far and away the best provider we had at the club, unfortunately nobody from midfield backed him up with adequate assists during that period. LJ was probably next best as a provider but to be honest not good enough.

Mcindoe leaves and Hartley joins and becomes our best provider and guess what our wingers don't then provide at all. So basically the last 4 seasons has been an either or situation for us, Wingers or midfield but not both.

Noble the guy who many claim was our best outlet, Was actually woeful when comes to assists and let's not forget one season was a promotion season and the next was also a successful season, Sproule provides little or nothing, JCR was a slight improvement.

So if we accept that with Albert and Rose we now have wing outlets, Then yes we do really need a midfield outlet, Who will actually work in tandem and start to provide more chances.

Noble was good in that he held the ball in tight spots the final third, and because he was in the hole it created a lot of uncertainty as to who should pick him up. I agree he didn't directly create many goals though.

Hartley was the best we've had in the middle of the park since Tinnion. It was a shame he wanted to go, but there isn't much you can do in that situation.

When I think of the kind of player I'd like to see us have in the middle, Graham Kavanagh always comes to mind. Someone who can be a presence, general the side but also pick a pass.

There aren't many players like that around though and they certainly won't be available on loan so we will have to make do with what we've got until at least January.

That's where it gets difficult as if you want to play LJ you really need an extra player in the midfield, and that means sacrificing a striker (just like the first couple of seasons at this level) or wing backs (like last season).

Given we've got so many wingers, and our full backs are perhaps our weakest area, wing backs would seem a waste to me.

Archived