IGNORED

What I Can't Figure Is...

SimplyRed

...why do we have to be 'crap' when a new manager takes over? Is it a pre-requisite that all new managers must come in and get the team playing really badly so that they can introduce some improvements and get the credit for making us a 'mid-table' team again?

There have been several posts on here espousing "patience" and "giving the new manager time" and "allowing the players to gel", etc., etc.

But we haven't been what I would call a "poor" side since we've been in the Championship, nor have we ever really looked in danger of relegation.

So why do we excuse the the extremely poor start we've made to the season simply because we've brought in a few new players and a new manager? These are supposed to be professional people close to the pinnacle of achievement in their chosen career, and yet - because they're "new" to the job - we're encouraged to "give them time".

I have to say I wasn't particularly impressed by the decision to give Millen the job - not surprising, since I've never really rated the bloke and don't like promotions from within - but for the life of me, I don't understand how this guy can be so impassive during a game. He stands there in his suit for the entire game with his bit of paper in his hand and barely shouts or gestures at the players - even when we're playing badly - and that's been often so far! How can he expect the players to have any commitment when he shows so little? Compared to Boothroyd and his team today, you may as well have put a tree stump there - nobody would've noticed!

I'm saddened that this is likely end in a similar manner to Tinnion's ill-fated reign and I cannot see this man doing anything but damage the momentum that has been built up by Lansdown in the last couple of years.

OK - we are only seven games into the season, and we have had a whole raft of new players coming in, but nothing - I hasten to add - to replace Hartley. We seem to be swamped with strikers and midfielders with little or no cover in defence. But even with all that taken into account, these are PROFESSIONAL players and yet they can't deliver dead ball accurately into the box? What the hell do they do all day in training? I lost count of the number of 'hopeful' crosses, corners and free kicks pumped towards the Coventry box that were either too short, too long or hopelessly off target. Is it THAT difficult to deliver a dead ball when that's all you do day in and day out?

Now I would agree with the patient fans if I could see any light at the end of the tunnel, but I can't. If anything, we're getting worse. There is no shape to the team, the players don't seem to know how to play Millen's game, if there is one and, to top it all, our defending is shocking - yet we are managed by a former defender!

Maybe calling for the manager's head is a bit premature, but I, for one, am extremely concerned about the signs and general trend in our performances.

I have just watched Millens interview on player and to be honnest the guy looks out of his depth in every sence of the word! body language, breaks in sentences, putting all of the blame on the players, he just seems lost and to be honnest i actually felt sorry for the bloke, walst cringing at the same time! he needs to go before he wrecks his own career and the clubs reputation. also marvins interview was a picture reflection as to how everything is down at the gate, he looked fed up, tired, not interested and extremeley low on confidence, i can only guess how the rest of the lads are feeling, especially the young ones like albert and rose, its part of Millens job to sort this out, yet he poors more pressure on them by telling them its all there faults, mabie it is, but theres ways and means of venting your frustration Mr Millen!

Is it THAT difficult to deliver a dead ball when that's all you do day in and day out?

Yes, basically. You have to be 'in the zone'. If your players are, you win. If you can stop the other team from being in it, you probably win.

We're underperforming massively atm. It's surely only a matter of time before things turn around.

It's surely only a matter of time before things turn around.

It took 28 years for us to build a team and a club that was capable of returning to the top flight after our relegation in 1980. I don't personally have the stomach for a wait of anything like that length for us to be able to compete at the top of the Championship again. If this season ends in relegation it'll be a long haul back. Forget the stadium....we'll have a tax exile Chairman, huge debts and the questions will all be about survival.

Simply Red, like a number of other posters on here, has his finger on it. We've taken a massive gamble with Millen. The guy looks and sounds out of his depth...which is hardly surprising as he's a novice in circumstances which would try men of greater experience.

...why do we have to be 'crap' when a new manager takes over? Is it a pre-requisite that all new managers must come in and get the team playing really badly so that they can introduce some improvements and get the credit for making us a 'mid-table' team again?

There have been several posts on here espousing "patience" and "giving the new manager time" and "allowing the players to gel", etc., etc.

But we haven't been what I would call a "poor" side since we've been in the Championship, nor have we ever really looked in danger of relegation.

So why do we excuse the the extremely poor start we've made to the season simply because we've brought in a few new players and a new manager? These are supposed to be professional people close to the pinnacle of achievement in their chosen career, and yet - because they're "new" to the job - we're encouraged to "give them time".

I have to say I wasn't particularly impressed by the decision to give Millen the job - not surprising, since I've never really rated the bloke and don't like promotions from within - but for the life of me, I don't understand how this guy can be so impassive during a game. He stands there in his suit for the entire game with his bit of paper in his hand and barely shouts or gestures at the players - even when we're playing badly - and that's been often so far! How can he expect the players to have any commitment when he shows so little? Compared to Boothroyd and his team today, you may as well have put a tree stump there - nobody would've noticed!

I'm saddened that this is likely end in a similar manner to Tinnion's ill-fated reign and I cannot see this man doing anything but damage the momentum that has been built up by Lansdown in the last couple of years.

OK - we are only seven games into the season, and we have had a whole raft of new players coming in, but nothing - I hasten to add - to replace Hartley. We seem to be swamped with strikers and midfielders with little or no cover in defence. But even with all that taken into account, these are PROFESSIONAL players and yet they can't deliver dead ball accurately into the box? What the hell do they do all day in training? I lost count of the number of 'hopeful' crosses, corners and free kicks pumped towards the Coventry box that were either too short, too long or hopelessly off target. Is it THAT difficult to deliver a dead ball when that's all you do day in and day out?

Now I would agree with the patient fans if I could see any light at the end of the tunnel, but I can't. If anything, we're getting worse. There is no shape to the team, the players don't seem to know how to play Millen's game, if there is one and, to top it all, our defending is shocking - yet we are managed by a former defender!

Maybe calling for the manager's head is a bit premature, but I, for one, am extremely concerned about the signs and general trend in our performances.

Excellent post Sir. As we all know, it's a very long haul back to the Championship if we're relegated. The club as a club needs to concentrate on getting it right on the pitch rather than waste energy fighting those who want Ashton Vale to remain as a dog shit park.

Archived