IGNORED

If You Were Manager - Choose Your Team

Fiale

We need to really sort our squad out, we have to many players of the same average quality costing us money. If we do not intend to give players games move them on for new blood, or god forbid some of our academy players actually put into the fringes of our squad. Who do you think we can move on, who should we keep, should the youngsters be just outside the sub bench, but cover for injuries or should we just keep shipping them off for loan before selling them as we tend to buy in so many players.

You are the manager - this is your squad, who stays, who goes ? (Red - goes Orange - possibly surplus/one season/see out contract Green - 1st team stays)

Goalkeeper

David James 1st team Fine

Dean Gerken cover Fine

S Henderson cover Fine

Defence

Nicky Hunt 1st team needs more time, but not impressed yet

Jamie McAllister 1st team needs to prove himself this season or should be moved on

Liam Fontaine 1st team Fine

Damion Stewart 1st team needs more time, but not impressed yet

Louis Carey 1st team In his final season or two, we need to look for his replacement

Lewin Nyatanga - 1st team injured

C Ribeiro 1st team Nice to see him play, needs to be 1st team or at least on the bench

James Wilson - injured

Danny Ball 19 year old, one year contract - with our record probably leave next year

Tom Williams 30 year old, move him of our books if we do not intend to ever play him

Joe Edwards promising

Midfield

Marvin Elliott 1st team

Lee Johnson move him on if he is not in our plans

Cole Skuse 1st team

Ivan Sproule 1st team

Danny Rose 1st team Loan

J Campbell-Ryce 1st team

Kalifa Cisse 1st team

Joe Lennox 19 year old, one year contract - with our record probably leave next year

Albert Adomah 1st team

Patrick Hoban Enigma - did we need more midfielders, if good enough play or put on bench

Jimmy Keohane Engima- did we need more midfielders, if good enough play or put on bench

Gavin Williams Move Gavin on, he is clearly not in our plans

Strikers

David Clarkson 1st team not good enough, but see out his contract as sub/reserve

Nicky Maynard 1st team injured

Danny Haynes 1st team

John Akinde Move him on, I thought he had a future with us, good young forward, but we have to many now.

Sam Vokes - injured - Loan

Brett Pitman 1st team

Jonathan Stead 1st team

Marlon Jackson 20 year old, should be on fringe of our team or bench next year or else may as well release him

I would move 4 off our books this season, 9 off our books at the end of this season (due to loans, surplus to requirements, or need replacing due to age).

With the wages of those 13 players, I would look to brining in just 4 quality players (2 defenders (one CB to replace Carey, 1 Left Back) 2 Midfielders (2 Midfield players, one creative the other able to slow the game/put his foot on the ball).

So what would you do ?

Strange so many people keen to argue a position here, a player there or just have a good moan - give them a slate and say OK 'What would you do ?' and silence.... maybe your just tinkering a little with Kieths side just proves how little difference there is between a lot of people thoughts and what Keith is actually doing.

We need to really sort our squad out, we have to many players of the same average quality costing us money. If we do not intend to give players games move them on for new blood, or god forbid some of our academy players actually put into the fringes of our squad. Who do you think we can move on, who should we keep, should the youngsters be just outside the sub bench, but cover for injuries or should we just keep shipping them off for loan before selling them as we tend to buy in so many players.

You are the manager - this is your squad, who stays, who goes ? (Red - goes Orange - possibly surplus/one season/see out contract Green - 1st team stays)

Goalkeeper

David James 1st team Fine - Agree

Dean Gerken cover Fine " "

S Henderson cover Fine " " although I'd look at him as DJ's ultimate replacement

Defence

Nicky Hunt 1st team needs more time, but not impressed yet - Should have been an improvement on Orr. Carrying an injury?

Jamie McAllister 1st team needs to prove himself this season or should be moved on - Needs replacing sooner rather than later

Liam Fontaine 1st team Fine - Agreed

Damion Stewart 1st team needs more time, but not impressed yet - I think would be better in a 3-5-2

Louis Carey 1st team In his final season or two, we need to look for his replacement- Age is against him but one of the few "leaders" we have

C Ribeiro 1st team Nice to see him play, needs to be 1st team or at least on the bench- Good option as a wingback but needs work on the defensive side of his gme

James Wilson - injured- For me the jury's out on James. Injured seems to be his middle name

Danny Ball 19 year old, one year contract - with our record probably leave next year

Tom Williams 30 year old, move him of our books if we do not intend to ever play him- Agreed if he can't get a game in this below par side I don't think he ever will

Joe Edwards promising

Midfield

Marvin Elliott 1st team - Needs a boot up him, quality player on his day but not recaptured form

Lee Johnson move him on if he is not in our plans - as things stand he should be in th side, not the greatest midfielder but knows how to pass the ball something we're lacking at the moment

Cole Skuse 1st team - High energy but has he really produced so far this season? Perhaps a rotation policy within the defensive midfield area might be an idea

Ivan Sproule 1st team - Great from the bench but we have better options on the right

Danny Rose 1st team Loan - Should be encouraged to run at the defence I see him winning pens on a reguar basis aswell as wading in with assists

J Campbell-Ryce 1st team- Good cover for both Albert and Danny Rose

Kalifa Cisse 1st team - |Not seen enough really but I think the same goes for him as Skuse

Joe Lennox 19 year old, one year contract - with our record probably leave next year

Albert Adomah 1st team -As Danny Rose. Albert is one of the few plus points for me this season

Patrick Hoban Enigma - did we need more midfielders, if good enough play or put on bench }

We need creativity in the middle of the park so if either of these can produce then they should start

Jimmy Keohane Engima- did we need more midfielders, if good enough play or put on bench}

Gavin Williams Move Gavin on, he is clearly not in our plans- Agreed

Strikers

David Clarkson 1st team not good enough, but see out his contract as sub/reserve - Not an out and out striker not sure if he really hasa future here

Nicky Maynard 1st team injured - Missed badly but would he get any chances created in this side at the moment?

Danny Haynes 1st team - A player I like caused defenders problems

John Akinde Move him on, I thought he had a future with us, good young forward, but we have to many now. - See how his loan turns out but think his chances are limited

Brett Pitman 1st team - like what I've seen but needs to adjust to championship football

Jonathan Stead 1st team - So far this season been one of our best players which is encouraging given the poor state of the side

Marlon Jackson 20 year old, should be on fringe of our team or bench next year or else may as well release him

I would move 4 off our books this season, 9 off our books at the end of this season (due to loans, surplus to requirements, or need replacing due to age).

With the wages of those 13 players, I would look to brining in just 4 quality players (2 defenders (one CB to replace Carey, 1 Left Back) 2 Midfielders (2 Midfield players, one creative the other able to slow the game/put his foot on the ball).

So what would you do ?

I'd say 5 or 6 definately should go with others needing to either improve or recapture form. We're not a million miles away from a good side but we need to sort the details that makes a side with promise into a good consistant team capable of holding it's own and making a challenge for the top half of the table. Although I don't think LJ is the total answer in the middle he would bring a different style to the team and the two young Irish lads ned to be blooded to see if they can make an impact. We signed themso they must have something let's see if either of them could be trhe missing link we're looking for. I like Jamie Mc but he is found lacking on too many occassions so I'd say thanks mate enjoyed you company but time to say goodbye. The LB postition is the only one we really have no alternative with so that would be my priority, the centre mid has things to try before we rushout spending money and I think KM need to turn to youth in the shape of the Irish lads, give them a go we have nothing to lose the way things stand.

Goalkeeper

David James 1st team Fine - agree

Dean Gerken cover Fine - agree

S Henderson cover Fine - One for the future, although he got slated as very out of practice by Yeovil fans yesterday

Defence

Nicky Hunt 1st team - looks like someone who has lost all his confidence, 1 month loan to a good league one team, get him fired up

Jamie McAllister 1st team - I think he brings a lot to the game, happy to run with ball, not a bad crosser, but a rash challenger, However his positron is safe as he is our only natural left footed defender.

Liam Fontaine 1st team - Think he is about as much use as a chocolate tea pot, panics on the ball, hoofs it up field, and poor challenger for the ball, hasn't lived up to early promise, get rid of as soon as possible.

Damion Stewart 1st team - Slow as anything and clumsy, defensive cover, no more

Louis Carey 1st team - Best option we have as a leader or as a central defender, not long back from injury, but should be first name on the team sheet in defence.

Lewin Nyatanga - 1st team yet to be convinced by him, but worth another run in the team when fit

C Ribeiro 1st team best option in right back now Orr has gone, another who's place in the first team should be cemented.

James Wilson - Sadly injured but could prove good companionship to Carey in the middle when fit.

Danny Ball 19 year old, not seen much of him, but one for the future.

Tom Williams 30 year old, we really didn't need him and all he does is use up wages which could have and should have been used elsewhere.

Joe Edwards One for the future.

Midfield

Marvin Elliott 1st team - Not looked as good in past two season's but played well yesterday and is looking more of a goal threat than our strikers, needs to play in a 3-5-2 or 4-42 though.

Lee Johnson 1st team - bets central midfielder we have and has vision and is an excellent playmaker, what he brings to this club has been missed by far too many people and in the centre with elliot he is our best option. Would be the first midfielder on my team sheet.

Cole Skuse 1st team - good player, but a Johnson + Elliott midfield suits me better, in the 3-5-2 he is the other option but for me whilst a good player, he would be 3rd choice in the centre.

Ivan Sproule 1st team - all the pace in the world but needs instructions as he doesn't seem to know his job, good impact winger and a younger version of Scott Murray in my opinion, however Campbell Ryce, Adomah & Rose all ahead of him as wingers and unless he is happy as an impact player now would be a good time to move him on and free up wages.

Danny Rose 1st team Loan - Good winger on the left and will suit a solid 442 or 352 option

J Campbell-Ryce 1st team - good pacey winger who along with Adomah & Rose is a solid option, good back up player.

Kalifa Cisse 1st team - Not seen enough of him, but plays well, however he is a defensive player and unless he can convert to a centre back, there is no place for him in the current formation.

Joe Lennox 19 year old, - One for the future and should be loaned out for experience.

Albert Adomah 1st team - Very good right winger and one of the finds of the year, another who should be on the team sheet every week.

Patrick Hoban Future - Yet to see him play and could be one for the future, but how many midfielder's do we need.

Jimmy Keohane Future - same as above

Gavin Williams - Not needed - Good player who can produce something and would make a good attacking midfielder but like Noble we don't play to this sort of players strengths and he is not needed at the club.

Strikers

David Clarkson 1st team - Too slow, no threat in the box, wouldn't score in a brothel with a fist full of fifties, get rid.

Nicky Maynard 1st team - our best option , we need him back and promptly

Danny Haynes 1st team - all pace no product and is greedy, would be better on the wing, but Adomah & Rose are better. Doesn't look comfortable as a forward and no better than back up, wouldn't be disappointed to see him sold for a profit.

John Akinde Not needed - Not up to this class and at rovers he hasn't even looked league 1 standard, Still young and learning but he really doesn't offer much and should be sold at first option in January, and if not, no way should his contract be renewed in July.

Sam Vokes - injured - Not seen enough of him, but even when back from injury he should play, as he is a goal threat in this league and is a quality player.

Brett Pitman 1st team - typical fox in the box but not quite adapted yet, best striker option at present and should have never been on the bench yesterday.

Jonathan Stead 1st team - Not at all convinced, a Decent Ipswich side didn't want him, he never stays up front near the area, is poor in the air, looses the ball too much. good pass on him, but he hasn't looked like scoring much with the ball at his feet, and feel he is going to be a very disappointing signing for what he is probably earning a week. We pump it up to him all the time and he loses it. Far from convinced he is good enough to be starting at present.

Marlon Jackson 20 year old, Looked good in pre season and now out on loan, should be given a chance when he returns as what we have here wouldn't be a million miles better than him.

What worries me is our squad is full or midfielders and strikers and there is plenty of dead wood, my starting eleven next game would be

James

Ribeiro Carey Cisse McAllister

Adomah Johnson Elliott Rose

Haynes Pitman

Bench:

Gerken

Hunt

Skuse

Campbell-Ryce

Sproule

Clarkson

Stead

Personally we need to ship out certain midfielder's and strikers in January.

We then need to bring in a experienced and solid central defender with Championship experience, a good left back with competition to McAllister. We need to reduce our midfield not increase it.Up front, a few faces need to go and work with Pitman, Stead, Maynard & Haynes in the new year although if we could extend Volkes loan it would be good.

Not wishing to undermine the actual manager, but I would pick:

James

Ribeiro

Carey

Stewart/Cisse

Fontaine

Elliott

Adomah

Skuse

Johnson

McAllister

Stead

I'd rather have Nyatanga with Carey, but I'm not sure how injured he is.

T. Williams has to go. Too old. Akinde's surplus to requirements now. Obviously I'd keep Maynard but he's not in the running at the moment. There are better wingers and strikers than Haynes. I've never liked Campbell-Ryce; too lazy for me. Recall Gavin Williams, put him on the bench.

Big problem is actually moving the players out, who else will pay the same wages as us?

Team for next 2 games-

James/ Gerken

Ribs/ Hunt, Stewart/Ribs, Carey, Fonts, McAllister

Skuse, Elliott, Clarkson/Johnson

Haynes/ Adomah, Stead.

Not pretty, leaving out a lot of good players, but we can't afford to faff around with two wingers looking positive if we are going to keep conceding 2/3 goals and putting pressure on our suspect defence.

Sorry I did not come back to this thread, I was away on a mountain leader course for a few days, forgot all about it when I came back.

Big problem is actually moving the players out, who else will pay the same wages as us?

Team for next 2 games-

James/ Gerken

Ribs/ Hunt, Stewart/Ribs, Carey, Fonts, McAllister

Skuse, Elliott, Clarkson/Johnson

Haynes/ Adomah, Stead.

Not pretty, leaving out a lot of good players, but we can't afford to faff around with two wingers looking positive if we are going to keep conceding 2/3 goals and putting pressure on our suspect defence.

Agreed - that is why I was trying not to just list a team I would play but what I would actually do with the squad. We need to get rid of some, move them on and wheras people like to tinkle with the side few people seem to have the courage to actually say - keep these, move these so we can buy 3-4 quality players.

The number of threads where people say we need a creative midfielder and quality left back - where is that £600,000 - £1.5million coming from, including wages possibly £2.5 - £3 million. If we can find these players, are they willing to leave their clubs, and if so willing to come to us, at and what costs - to many fans want to make the easy decision of getting in a X, Y, Z player - fewer willing to name the at least 10 -players we need to ship out.

Goalkeeper

David James 1st team Fine - agree

Dean Gerken cover Fine - agree

S Henderson cover Fine - agree

Keepers after James will be the other 2 with junior keeper i would imagine as #3

Defence

Nicky Hunt 1st team needs more time, but not impressed yet - keep, incase Ribeiro gets injured or too many CB's and Ribs needs to move there

Jamie McAllister 1st team needs to prove himself this season or should be moved on - get rid, has had long enough to prove himself and is only getting worse now it seems.

Liam Fontaine 1st team Fine - agreed

Damion Stewart 1st team needs more time, but not impressed yet . looks a mile off the pace not impressed, if no impression made by the end of the season ship him off, try and make some money back while we can

Louis Carey 1st team In his final season or two, we need to look for his replacement - last season or 2 then maybe a coaching job

Lewin Nyatanga - 1st team injured - good enough as cover i would say.

C Ribeiro 1st team Nice to see him play, needs to be 1st team or at least on the bench - 1st choice RB hopefully can hold onto him too, another reason why Hunt stays incase we get an offer for Ribeiro we can't refuse

James Wilson - injured - needs to prove something soon but keep for now, hope he's not too injury prone.

Danny Ball 19 year old, one year contract - with our record probably leave next year - give him a chance

Tom Williams 30 year old, move him of our books if we do not intend to ever play him - get rid was only ever in as cover.

Joe Edwards promising - give him a chance

Midfield

Marvin Elliott 1st team - agreed but needs to be more consistent to deserve regular 1st team place

Lee Johnson move him on if he is not in our plans - disagree, need to keep him, one of few midfielders that offers something different to standard defensive midfilder for us, his pass and go is good.

Cole Skuse 1st team - agreed

Ivan Sproule 1st team - agreed to an extent, will do but should be seeking a replacement

Danny Rose 1st team Loan - try and loan again if possible.

J Campbell-Ryce 1st team - get rid imo, only has a couple of moves/tricks and has no left foot, too predictable

Kalifa Cisse 1st team . - not liking him from what i saw, a worse version of Elliott in my view and more of the same as what we have

Joe Lennox 19 year old, one year contract - with our record probably leave next year - agreed, never seen him play though.

Albert Adomah 1st team - agreed

Patrick Hoban Enigma - did we need more midfielders, if good enough play or put on bench - one of Coppell's could be another irish find, give him time.

Jimmy Keohane Engima- did we need more midfielders, if good enough play or put on bench - same as above

Gavin Williams Move Gavin on, he is clearly not in our plans - keep till end of season then find a replacement.

Strikers

David Clarkson 1st team not good enough, but see out his contract as sub/reserve - good atm with Maynard out and Haynes not on best form yet. Look to ship if he doesn't improve just looks a bit off the pace at times

Danny Haynes 1st team - agreed

John Akinde Move him on, I thought he had a future with us, good young forward, but we have to many now - unfortunatly agree, with Stead now we have a similar player, Akinde didnt quite make the grade

Brett Pitman 1st team - agreed

Jonathan Stead 1st team - agreed

Marlon Jackson 20 year old, should be on fringe of our team or bench next year or else may as well release him - on loan at the shots again, being loaned to a league 2 team, should excell if he has the quality to play for us in future.

That's what 7 or so to get rid of ASAP, would clear plenty of finance up for a couple of players

Would get:

- Left Back

- Creative midfielder

- a QUALITY Centre Back

Then save any remaining cash for future need of players

Well from the replies so far (at least those that actually figured out it is not just who are you want to play on the pitch, but sorting out your team to free up space and money for the players that many think we need). It would appear the census so far is..

Players who should leave the club this season

Tom Williams

Gavin Williams

Akinde

Sproule

Clarkson

Seems agreement that Carey needs to be replaced - realisation that this or next season could be his last.

The following players are to be given time, but look at moving them on at the end of the season if not in our plans/upto standard

Hunt

Stewart

Hoban

Keohane

Jackson

Wilson

There were more fringe suggestions of also letting go of...

McAllister

Nyatanga

Haynes

Stead

Campbell-Ryce

Fontaine Cisse

So 11 players - at least £2,000,000.00 - £3,000,000.00 wages freed up for investment in a Quality

Centre Back

Left Back

Midfielder

Goalkeeper

David James 1st team Fine

Dean Gerken cover Fine

S Henderson cover Fine

Defence

Nicky Hunt 1st team needs more time, but not impressed yet

Jamie McAllister 1st team needs to prove himself this season or should be moved on

Liam Fontaine 1st team Fine

Damion Stewart 1st team needs more time, but not impressed yet

Louis Carey 1st team In his final season or two, we need to look for his replacement

C Ribeiro 1st team Nice to see him play, needs to be 1st team or at least on the bench

James Wilson - injured

Tom Williams 30 year old, move him of our books if we do not intend to ever play him

Joe Edwards promising

Midfield

Marvin Elliott 1st team

Lee Johnson move him on if he is not in our plans

Cole Skuse 1st team

Ivan Sproule 1st team

Danny Rose 1st team Loan

J Campbell-Ryce 1st team

Kalifa Cisse 1st team

Albert Adomah 1st team

Patrick Hoban Enigma - did we need more midfielders, if good enough play or put on bench

Jimmy Keohane Engima- did we need more midfielders, if good enough play or put on bench

Gavin Williams Move Gavin on, he is clearly not in our plans

Strikers

David Clarkson 1st team not good enough, but see out his contract as sub/reserve

Danny Haynes 1st team

John Akinde Move him on, I thought he had a future with us, good young forward, but we have to many now.

Brett Pitman 1st team

Jonathan Stead 1st team

So what would you do ?

I dunno, sit here an take the piss I think. If I were sucessful enough to qualify at that level and make these sorts of decisions I bloody well would an make good living from it. As it is I can´t currently justify a third of the average weekly players´ wages for a season ticket so I know place, an see it all as a bit of a joke.

COYR

Archived