IGNORED

Bridge Valley Road Closure

The Red Planet

When this road was closed back in March for rock stability work, it was estimated it would take six weeks.

Here we are six months later and still no sign of completion.

As this is (normally) a major route to and from AG on match days, does anyone know why it is taking so long and when it will actually be completed ?

Possibly not being reopened at all. Last i heard, the job is a hell of a lot bigger than at first thought, and the cost of getting it reopened far outweighs the amount it would cost to have it closed with other routes being maintained. By and large, traffic in the area seems to have adjusted with less impact than was probably anticipated at the start of the work.

No idea if a decision has actually been made though.

When this road was closed back in March for rock stability work, it was estimated it would take six weeks.

Here we are six months later and still no sign of completion.

As this is (normally) a major route to and from AG on match days, does anyone know why it is taking so long and when it will actually be completed ?

Probably closed till Christmas, more work needed.

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/news/ROAD-SHUT-CHRISTMAS/article-2378984-detail/article.html

I have been told that it could be closed for upto 3 years.

Massive problems with a fault line in the rock compounded by an old railway tunnel under the road which is becoming unstable.

I personally like it as you can now fly in on the Portway with no hold ups. Residents of Clifton Vale may disagree though !!

Yep its widely muted that it may never open again. The old Bristol Port & Pier railway tunnel underneath the road has really made things complicated.

As others have said.. the A4 Portway is now utterly FANTASTIC in the morning.. free flowing traffic all the way in...

Good to hear it's good for you guys !

For some of us, it's the direct route between home and AG.

Actually, it does not take much longer to go through Clifton village and drop down one of the roads to Hotwells, so if it stays closed, I'm not too bothered but I might feel differently if I lived in Clifton as obviously this closure has increased the traffic through there.

Archived