IGNORED

76 That Was A Good Team

REDOXO

Changing the subject from petitions to football

I have just watched the highligts of the Arsenal game in 76', a game that I was at sitting in the stand almost level with the Cheese when he got on the end of Clive Whiteheads cross.

Having now watched most of the game on player the things that struck me about the team was not only their passing and movement off the ball was excellent but the standard of the crossing was outstanding right through the side, most of whom were largely home grown players or at least lads that we got in when they were very young..(We'll never know how good we could have been with the Cheese getting on the end of em every week).

Then I look at the current side and cant help but think of the massive gap between the two teams particularly in our movement, delivery and the amount of players the club brought through

With the exception of Carey Skuse and Ribiero we have a team of players bought in from other clubs at huge expense, as opposed to Cashley Drysdale Merrick, Gow, Collier, Whitehead, Ritchie, Tainton Sweeney Rodgers et al that were all here either as very young footballers or apprentices! So what is it that our accademy faills at that only allows players to get in the first team at Cheltenham Hereford and Aldershot???

Also in some ways the skill level seems to have decreased (although this is a general problem) in particular in terms of players only able to use 1 foot...One footed footballers are prevalent in this day and age and is one of the reasons why our club is devoid of talent on the left...No ONE can use both feet.

When I was a boy my old man made me use my left foot and as such I can and still can at least shoot with both feet...When did you last see a city player that was truly two footed...for god sake players that play for England could play with one foot and a crutch if necessary.

But our biggest issue over the last twenty years has been the final ball particularly crossing...WTF...Look at Whitehead Sweeney Mann Drysdale they could all pick a ball into the box that gave a forward a fighting chance...With all the wingers we have only Rose (early days yet) looks as though he can hit a ball into the area where the striker can get near it and look threatening and not just a jumping jack...

Maybe I long for far gone days but surely we should be teaching kids to hit with both feet and find a target or perhaps I am just asking to much or maybe players dont have the hunger for a higher level football that I have!!

I have just watched the highligts of the Arsenal game in 76', a game that I was at sitting in the stand almost level with the Cheese when he got on the end of Clive Whiteheads cross.

Having now watched most of the game on player the things that struck me about the team was not only their passing and movement off the ball was excellent but the standard of the crossing was outstanding right through the side, most of whom were largely home grown players or at least lads that we got in when they were very young..(We'll never know how good we could have been with the Cheese getting on the end of em every week).

Then I look at the current side and cant help but think of the massive gap between the two teams particularly in our movement, delivery and the amount of players the club brought through

With the exception of Carey Skuse and Ribiero we have a team of players bought in from other clubs at huge expense, as opposed to Cashley Drysdale Merrick, Gow, Collier, Whitehead, Ritchie, Tainton Sweeney Rodgers et al that were all here either as very young footballers or apprentices! So what is it that our accademy faills at that only allows players to get in the first team at Cheltenham Hereford and Aldershot???

Also in some ways the skill level seems to have decreased (although this is a general problem) in particular in terms of players only able to use 1 foot...One footed footballers are prevalent in this day and age and is one of the reasons why our club is devoid of talent on the left...No ONE can use both feet.

When I was a boy my old man made me use my left foot and as such I can and still can at least shoot with both feet...When did you last see a city player that was truly two footed...for god sake players that play for England could play with one foot and a crutch if necessary.

But our biggest issue over the last twenty years has been the final ball particularly crossing...WTF...Look at Whitehead Sweeney Mann Drysdale they could all pick a ball into the box that gave a forward a fighting chance...With all the wingers we have only Rose (early days yet) looks as though he can hit a ball into the area where the striker can get near it and look threatening and not just a jumping jack...

Maybe I long for far gone days but surely we should be teaching kids to hit with both feet and find a target or perhaps I am just asking to much or maybe players dont have the hunger for a higher level football that I have!!

Bear in mind in that game Arsenal had a team with players mostly from these shores - the game has changed and we have had to chage with it - was a great team though built over several years patiently.

The word patience is the one that should be used more often and practiced.I too watched that team come together and whilst it did the team were always at the wrong end of the table.Sometimes only staying up by the skin of their teeth.Alan Dicks was given time.

That is why I think we should have stuck with Gary Johnson. I have seen all the arguments but look where we are now !!

I wasn't around then but I understand that Dicks had around 10 years to build that team and presumably less pressure than managers are under today.

It's not entirely the fault of the fans, either. Right now, City simply can't get relegated. It would ruin everything and who knows how long it would take to get out of the third division again?

If there were less concern about relegation I think it would be easier for Millen to build a team out of academy players. They'd be poor to begin with and might be relegated, but assuming the coaching was right they'd bounce back, grow together as a squad and be better for it.

You were sat!? Spoils the whole story for me.

I was also at that Arsenal game, a step into the unknown. Great game, great team performance, great result. Things really looked promising.

But wasn't Paul Cheesely injured in the next game after this. Sad.

Paul was injured in a clash with Peter Shilton almost right in front of me at the 'Open End' as you say in the following match against Stoke City. For the record the match ended 1-1 and Donnie Gillies scored for us (I wish I could remember what I did yesterday as well as I can city games!)

Paul was injured in a clash with Peter Shilton almost right in front of me at the 'Open End' as you say in the following match against Stoke City. For the record the match ended 1-1 and Donnie Gillies scored for us (I wish I could remember what I did yesterday as well as I can city games!)

Strangely enough I find it easier to remember names of players of yesteryear, rather than players of today.

Mind i'm sure they were better, bring back the leather ball with laces I say.

Totally agree with your sentiments regarding using both feet, let's not forget that that team could compete with any team in the old first division, so the quality of players was far greater than the current crop. it'slike comparing the Clough/taylor forest team that won the european Cup and their current team.

Also, most teams in that era had a large number of home grown players, with clubs tending to keep their better players for as long as possible until they received an offer they couldn't afford to turn down. As a result of which there was such a thing as player loyalty.

Not wanting to be too pedantic but a number of those players were also imports - drysdale (hartlepool), ritchie (bridgend thistle), sweeney (morton) and Cheesley although locally born was a norwich apprentice and had first division experience with Norwich. However, it would appear that Cheesley excepted, the scouting system in those days was also superior than today's with good contacts at Scottish youth level. I may be wrong but I think it was Tony collins who found many of that team at youth level and developed them into first team players. Ah the memories!

One small point though.

That same team you refer to by the end- and they were without a doubt the best City side in the post war era, arguably even our history. By the end of our time in the top flight we had something like the 3rd highest wage bill in the country apparently, so the fact they were good shouldn't be a huge surprise!

One small point though.

That same team you refer to by the end- and they were without a doubt the best City side in the post war era, arguably even our history. By the end of our time in the top flight we had something like the 3rd highest wage bill in the country apparently, so the fact they were good shouldn't be a huge surprise!

That match against Arsenal was four years in advance of when the side was relegated, so I would suggest the players (with an average age of 23 at the time) were on wages that were negotiated prior to promotion (these would carry a clause that would increase wages if they were to be promoted) as the side that played at Arsenal pretty much was the promtion team.

The fact they were good was not a suprize and to be frank nobody suggested it was.

The club in order to hang onto players 'stupidly' gave long-term contracts in subsequent years and on top of that brought in other players such as Cormack, Fitzpatrick, Royal, Aitken and others on high wages (none of whom were in the side that played at Arsenal) as it was difficult for Bristol City to attract players and to continue bringing players of Division One quality through.

Bad decisions were made but have nothing to do with my original post, however your apparent thrust that they were on a fortune so they should have been good, sounds to me like something straight from the mouth of Ian Holloway, who has made comments to that effect many times and perhaps you would like to make those comments to Sweeney the postman, Merrick the builder, Tainton the nightwatchman (I believe) Rogers the salesman and all those other mundane jobs that these guys ended up doing...Maybe a chat with Paul Cheesley the next time your in the ground, he is always there, might put you straight!

Wasn't Gary Collier leaving the club some of the reason for the long contracts being given. I might be wrong - it's a long time ago.

Coventry City made an offer for Gary at the begining of the following season of (I think) 325 Stirling (I dont have a pound sign on my lap top) which was a lot of money at the time. Gary played one game for them and was dropped and hardly kicked a ball in England again (what a waste)...I dont remember anything about long contracts in respect of the transfer, however I wouldn't be suprized if that was a factor! ...

Archived