IGNORED

Strikers - Where Do We Go From Here

bcfcnick

Stead - Does some very good work linking play. Good team player. Will never be a prolific scorer. Tends in my view to have too many efforts just outside the box that will only ever go in if the goalkeeper messes up. He may be playing too deep because he's not getting service from midfield or enough crosses into the box, but I'd like to see him as more of a menace in the box with his height.

Pitman – Should have been given a run in the side. The fox in the box that the team needs. Ribeiro played a ball right into his six yard box territory against Burnley where he probably would have tapped it in but there was nobody occupying that space or making the run that Ribeiro anticipated. When he doesn't score people will question Pitman but the team desperately needs a potential 20a season striker with a natural ability to score goals even if they don' t contribute so much in other areas.

Clarkson – Difficult one. Decent but not a prolificgoal-scorer. Hard-working player with a good attitude but unlikely to be the first choice striker leading the line or in a supporting role. Good back-up but he might want to move on.

Haynes – Not prolific enough to play him as a striker and he is useful with his pace out wide and has had some storming games on the right but currently behind Adomah and Rose. Doesn't offer enough to have replaced Pitman as a striker. Might not like being on the bench so could be sold if the right offer came in but hopefully would compete for a place in his best position – out wide.

Maynard – If Pitman is banging in the goals by the time Maynard is fit then Nicky will have to bide his time or come in for Stead. I can't see the manager picking Maynard and Pitman as his two strikers although, as few of Nicky's goals can be classed as 'predatory striker' goals, then I'd actually like to see them given a run out together.

Adomah – Best playedout wide where he has excelled.

Akinde – See how he develops at Rovers butprobably best to sell and move on.

Jackson – Neat playerbut has to have a big impact on loan elsewhere for him to feature in City'sfuture plans as he is well behind the competition out wide and in the strikers role.

Vokes – Interestingone. If Stead isn't scoring does he get a chance given that he is unlikely tobe here after Christmas and could undermine the confidence of a player on athree year contract? I'd give hima run and if successful retain him, if he is interested, as competition with Stead and look to moveon Clarkson, Akinde and Jackson.

A core of Stead, Vokes, Maynard and Pitman looks about the right balance for me.

Add to the mix a high quality left-back and goal-scoring creative midfielder and then the set-up starts to look like a very well-balanced and quality squad that should move well up the table. Then it comes down to the team gelling, a solid mobile defence (with Ribs and Carey's fitness being crucial - Hunt and Stewart are not the answer), the right formations and good man management from KM.

I'd get rid of CLarkson, Jackson, Akindee

Haynes I'd keep because he is a threat with his pace and can be an effect right winger,

Admoah is a midfielder and shouldn't be played up front he is wasted their (behind the front 2 is fine)

Vokes is on loan so I don't care

Akindee isn't good enough for the championship (unless he devlops at the gas)

Jackson not good enough for the championship

I just don't rate clarkson

Pitman hasn't been at the club long enough,

Stead the best striker we have who is fit at the moment but is more of a link man

Haynes I'd keep because he is a threat with his pace and can be an effect right winger,

Admoah is a midfielder and shouldn't be played up front he is wasted their (behind the front 2 is fine)

Stead the best striker we have who is fit at the moment but is more of a link man

Agreed.

Agreed, but I'd also send Vokes back if we have that option.

Haynes is a winger in my book so doesn't qualify

Archived