IGNORED

Midfield

Esmond Million's Bung

Our defence quite rightly have come in for severe criticism this season, however they have proved twice and almost 3 times that they can keep clean sheets.

I find it strange that with 2 defensive midfielders that our defence comes under such intense pressure for such long periods of a game, the inevitability of that constant pressure is panic and mistakes, Although on the 2 occasions we rode our luck we did actually keep clean sheets.

So if the midfield are not adequately protecting the defence and we know they ain't actually setting the world alight offensively, that seems to be where our problem actually lies. When was the last time we could say, we took a grip of midfield, stifled our opponents attack with every midfield player doing his job properly and also offered a threat from midfield going forward?????????

After all that is surely what midfields are for.

Our defence quite rightly have come in for severe criticism this season, however they have proved twice and almost 3 times that they can keep clean sheets.

I find it strange that with 2 defensive midfielders that our defence comes under such intense pressure for such long periods of a game, the inevitability of that constant pressure is panic and mistakes, Although on the 2 occasions we rode our luck we did actually keep clean sheets.

So if the midfield are not adequately protecting the defence and we know they ain't actually setting the world alight offensively, that seems to be where our problem actually lies. When was the last time we could say, we took a grip of midfield, stifled our opponents attack with every midfield player doing his job properly and also offered a threat from midfield going forward?????????

Personnally, I think by having two defensive midfielders, it invites pressure - The midfield at the moment would be great for defending a lead and winding the clock down for 5 minutes, but for a whole match? once the opposition realise our midfield doe not have much threat from midfield, they start to commit men forward, safe in the knowledge that its highly unlikely they'll be caught on the break.

If we had a few more attack minded midfieder in there and not 2 defensively minded players and a winger, then we would pose much more of a threat and the opposition will have to think more about wont want to commit too many men forward.

At the moment we are only dangerous from the flanks.

Personnally, I think by having two defensive midfielders, it invites pressure - The midfield at the moment would be great for defending a lead and winding the clock down for 5 minutes, but for a whole match? once the opposition realise our midfield doe not have much threat from midfield, they start to commit men forward, safe in the knowledge that its highly unlikely they'll be caught on the break.

If we had a few more attack minded midfieder in there and not 2 defensively minded players and a winger, then we would pose much more of a threat and the opposition will have to think more about wont want to commit too many men forward.

At the moment we are only dangerous from the flanks.

For once I agree with almost everything you are saying. My only slight difference of opinion is the danger from the flanks. in Albert yes we have an improving danger and once his delivery improves so will our strike rate. But I don't see any other danger on our flanks only perceived danger, Sproule can run fast but delivers little or nothing and defensively is not good enough, JCR last season became our major outlet for setting up chances this season his similarity to Albert has stopped his progress and Haynes is still not fit enough to be the danger that he can be and Rose I am confused here, when we signed him he was going to be our left sided wide boy messiah. Now apparently nobody is sure whether he actually is a wide boy or in fact a centre left midfielder (although KM seems to have decided).

Perhaps the answer is cash in on Marv or Cole and bring in a creative midfielder. Bearing in mind that we have been crying out for a left back and a creative midfielder since the season began and earlier and KM has brought in 2 strikers, another central defender and a midfield enigma, I won't hold my breath.

the problem is with the defense, we're not playing the ball out when we're not under pressure,

the defenders and all 4 of them are guilty of this are lumping the ball 60 yards and its coming right back at them before the midfield has a chance to act hence being under sustained pressure,

James is trying to play the ball to the fall backs but they have been ignoring him so he has to lump the ball and wham right back at the city defense its a nasty circle,

This is also the reason why some city fans are calling for Lee Johnson to come back in the team,

He comes to the back four and gets the ball. he may only pass the ball sideways 10 yards but at the moment thats whats needed to try and keep possession,

Granted against Burnley we were under pressure as they simply were a better team then us and the same could happen tonight against Portsmouth so another battleing display is needed,

But against Norwich we need to try a bit of possession football and pataint build up play rather then whoosh every 2 minutes

From what I see we seem to be playing 4-3-3.

If we had 2 defensive midfielders in a 4-2-3-1 then it would work, and we would probably dominate midfield. With 4-3-3 two midfield players play high up the pitch and wide, leaving the other 3 to cover the centre AND wide midfield positions - this leads to the opposition getting lots of space, and putting pressure on our LB/RB and at times CBs.

the problem is with the defense, we're not playing the ball out when we're not under pressure,

the defenders and all 4 of them are guilty of this are lumping the ball 60 yards and its coming right back at them before the midfield has a chance to act hence being under sustained pressure,

James is trying to play the ball to the fall backs but they have been ignoring him so he has to lump the ball and wham right back at the city defense its a nasty circle,

This is also the reason why some city fans are calling for Lee Johnson to come back in the team,

He comes to the back four and gets the ball. he may only pass the ball sideways 10 yards but at the moment thats whats needed to try and keep possession,

Granted against Burnley we were under pressure as they simply were a better team then us and the same could happen tonight against Portsmouth so another battleing display is needed,

But against Norwich we need to try a bit of possession football and pataint build up play rather then whoosh every 2 minutes

That is symptomatic of a defence who has no faith in it's midfield.

that could be true Esmond but with 3 of them playing for us (elliot sproule, Skuse) for 3 years I'd like to know why the defense suddenly don't trust them,

I blame Skuse and his lack of leadership as captain he should never have had that pressure put up on him,

Not saying skuse is a bad player he is decent enough but with carey coming back in and taking the armband its all of a sudden sharpend up the defensive side of our game, ( a little)

now with a pacy CB that one flaw in Carey's game should have such a major impact like it did against Coventry,

Time will tell,

Its not just a case of a midfield not adequately protecting the defence although that is a factor.

The other problems lie in areas such as our inability to hold the ball in forward positions and consequently it comes pinging back to us in double quick time putting the midfield and defence under constant pressure.

As another poster has noted there is also the fact that our centre midfield is not offensive enough and also does not keep the ball under control when it is won and the fact that we have a relatively slow back 7 (you can look at all our defenders and not pick one that would give you a particularly good showing over 5 yards to 50 yards)

Nevertheless clearly Mr. Millen agrees with me hence the youngster from Spurs who i expect to be starting very soon...IMO along side Carey Riberio and possibly Fontaine and Mcalister at full back depending on the situation.

If we can gain some traction with the back Mr. Millen will almost certaily then be looking into another midfielder as I get the impression he is not an LJ fan!...Then cross your fingers and prey Maynard comes back soon!!!!

Its not just a case of a midfield not adequately protecting the defence although that is a factor.

The other problems lie in areas such as our inability to hold the ball in forward positions and consequently it comes pinging back to us in double quick time putting the midfield and defence under constant pressure.

As another poster has noted there is also the fact that our centre midfield is not offensive enough and also does not keep the ball under control when it is won and the fact that we have a relatively slow back 7 (you can look at all our defenders and not pick one that would give you a particularly good showing over 5 yards to 50 yards)

Nevertheless clearly Mr. Millen agrees with me hence the youngster from Spurs who i expect to be starting very soon...IMO along side Carey Riberio and possibly Fontaine and Mcalister at full back depending on the situation.

If we can gain some traction with the back Mr. Millen will almost certaily then be looking into another midfielder as I get the impression he is not an LJ fan!...Then cross your fingers and prey Maynard comes back soon!!!!

I agree in essence with what you say, However Stead seems to have sorted the problem of holding the ball up in forward positions, but now we are playing him as a loan striker, he is terribly exposed and as you alluded to our slow midfield non offensive centre midfield makes his task virtually impossible, putting even more strain on our defence.

All our midfielders are too similar, especially the central midfielders. Is there any difference between Elliott, Cisse or Skuse? No. All "ballwinners" and all contribute very, very little in the attacking areas. It seems to me that they are satisfied to disrupt and contain the opposition midfield, rather than offer anything to City going forward. What we need is a luxury player, a playmaker who does nowt for 89 minutes and then smashes a 30 yarder in, or supplies a dream through ball for a striker. We're not going out to win games, we're going out to nick games, and it sucks. I'd rather watch attractive but flawed City performances rather than the current dross thats being served up by the keen but tactically bereft Keith Millen and Steve Wigley. Central midfield is the key area for every team, especially in this league. The most successful teams have one destroyer and one creator (or players with a bit of both). City have just destroyers, and we will struggle until Millens flawed philosophy changes.

Archived