IGNORED

1 Point Out The 12 Available

Esmond Million's Bung

I do love you esmond... But, it's funny that this time last year Robbo would be making this thread and you'd be defending GJ...

It's getting very worrying...

i'm sorry there is a big difference, When under GJ were we actually 2nd from bottom with one win from 9 games.

I fully accept the performance tonight might well have been very good, unlucky, we still lost, shipped 3 more goals and the phrase too good to go down is in the CV of many an ex manager or pundit.

i'm just interested to know when the slow progress will be reflected in results.

Performances are getting better culminating in the defence played better and the team attacking better, all of which I would class as improvement.

Chin up

For all this talk of getting better, we lost another game and are now one place off the bottom. I fail to see how conceding another three goals can be classed as progress.

Comparisons with time given to Millen, Johnson or Coppell for that matter are wide of the mark.

Why should Millen be given as much time as Johnson was? He shouldn't.

Johnson came to this club with a track-record. Experience at international level, successive promotions with Yeovil - all very impressive the patience paid off. He was worth investing in because he'd shown he could deliver the goods.

Many were willing to wait longer for Coppell. Why? Track-record. We all know the details. It went wrong - that's history now.

Waiting six months for Millen as has been suggested, is waiting 6 months to see if a man with a virtually non-existent track-record could actually be a reasonable manager. Personally, I'd rather some other club took that risk.

Everyone on here, would like to see KM work out. Why wouldn't we? We don't want the turmoil, upset and mess associated with another appointment.

However, if we see things in blocks of 10 like old GJ did in his prime, we can only say that the first 10 appears to be a near disaster. I for one won't be happy if we're in a similar position for the second block. If that's the case, make the change before it's too late.

Comparisons with time given to Millen, Johnson or Coppell for that matter are wide of the mark.

Johnson came to this club with a track-record. Experience at international level, successive promotions with Yeovil - all very impressive the patience paid off. He was worth investing in because he'd shown he could deliver the goods.

Many were willing to wait longer for Coppell. Why? Track-record. We all know the details. It went wrong - that's history now.

Waiting six months for Millen as has been suggested, is waiting 6 months to see if a man with a virtually non-existent track-record could actually be a reasonable manager. Personally, I'd rather some other club took that risk.

Everyone on here, would like to see KM work out. Why wouldn't we? We don't want the turmoil, upset and mess associated with another appointment.

However, if we see things in blocks of 10 like old GJ did in his prime, we can only say that the first 10 appears to be a near disaster. I for one won't be happy if we're in a similar position for the second block. If that's the case, make the change before it's too late.

after 10 matches we could be on 6, 7 or 9 pts. if we maintain the same form as of late we may well end up on 6 and if that continues for the next 10 games we will be on 12 pts.... that WILL, in my humble opinion, be too late.

9 from 30 looks a heck of a lot healthier than 6 from 30. I can see, actually, why KM is placing so much importance on this match; he wears his heart on his chest and i do not believe he is playing any form of mind games. Good or bad, thats how he is.

But apparently things are slowly improving, EXPLAIN.

Come on mate.

Millen has made 2 great loan signings recently.

We got a point at Turf Moor last weekend. Burnley won impressively at home on tuesday and are in the top six.

The team played football at Portsmouth and created chances, John Stead got his first goal.

We should have had a penalty. (In tuesday's and last saturdays's games) Most of the ref's decisions seem to go against us at the moment.

Some of us are confident things are on the change. It doesn't help to dwell on the negatives.

Let's ditch this Bristolian habit of congratulating other moaners

Come on mate.

Millen has made 2 great loan signings recently.

We got a point at Turf Moor last weekend. Burnley won impressively at home on tuesday and are in the top six.

The team played football at Portsmouth and created chances, John Stead got his first goal.

We should have had a penalty. (In tuesday's and last saturdays's games) Most of the ref's decisions seem to go against us at the moment.

Some of us are confident things are on the change. It doesn't help to dwell on the negatives.

Let's ditch this Bristolian habit of congratulating other moaners

The problem is Millen has already gone on record as saying the Norwich game is a 'must win game', So if we don't win but play really well again, What then?.

i'm sorry there is a big difference, When under GJ were we actually 2nd from bottom with one win from 9 games.

I fully accept the performance tonight might well have been very good, unlucky, we still lost, shipped 3 more goals and the phrase too good to go down is in the CV of many an ex manager or pundit.

i'm just interested to know when the slow progress will be reflected in results.

Here. Oh, my mistake, we were bottom after 20 games! I seem to remember the game relating to this table was the last game in the 9 match losing streak, a 1-0 home defeat where we peppered the away end with shots and didn't get our just desserts; sound familiar?

The problem is Millen has already gone on record as saying the Norwich game is a 'must win game', So if we don't win but play really well again, What then?.

I know you know about football mate. Just doesn't go in predictable straight lines, surely? (Bristol City beat Liverpool 1 nil at Anfield etc. etc.)

If we don't beat Norwich we'll try and win the next one`etc. etc. There are enough signs that we will get the results eventually and stay up.

It's not like writing a letter, screw it up, chuck it in the bin and start again from scatch.

Excellent post, most sense ive seen spoke on this forum for a while.

The next ten will be crucial, but unfortunately for Millen it appears unforgiving. At the end of the 10 game spell below, I believe Millen will still be Bristol City manager, however it is likely he will be hanging by a thread.

I actually just replied to a different post with the following;

I hadnt actually given thought to a point total when looking through those fixtures, however;

Norwich - 1

Cardiff - 0

Reading - 1

QPR - 0

M'boro - 0

Preston - 3

Swansea - 0

Leeds - 1

Leicester - 3

Sheff Utd - 1.

Clearly predictions like this are incredibly difficult to make, the table is still working itself out and there is relatively little form to base an opinion on. Im not trying to be pessimistic, that is merely what I see from what ive seen this season. I actually think there is a good chance we may beat Norwich on the weekend, however believing that it could really go either way, putting it down as a draw seems fair.

Using the above predictions, somewhat coincidentally, I estimate we'll be departing Elland Road on 12 points, in your ('havanatopia') opinion 'nigh on favourites for relegation, way too late to make a manegerial change.' I dont necessarily agree with either of those sentiments. I still believe it would be too soon to consider ourselves relegation favourites, especially considering, if we build on the Portsmouth performance, we will have been playing better but facing {largely} top six calibre opposition. And I certainly dont agree that it would be too late to make a managerial change. To suggest it would be too late by then implies it should be done sooner if 12 points post Leeds is the accepted outcome, but if you're going to fire Millen based on results against Cardiff, QPR, Reading and M'boro, you might as well bite the bullet and do it if we dont beat Norwich.

As ive said previously, I believe those back to back home games (vs Leicester and Sheffield United) will be make or break for Millen as Bristol City manager and, putting my predictions on paper, I believe if they are accurate Millen will indeed keep his job. Although, using my predictions, you could make a case for Preston also being a decisive fixture. How long he keeps it for is then pretty much moving on a match by match basis, after the Sheffield Utd game we face an increasingly daunting schedule, travelling away three out of four (Notts Forest, Hull and Reading) and then, after entering what really will be a 'must win' at home to Crystal Palace, we play Cardiff, QPR and M'boro again.

I have absolutely nothing against Millen, although I accept there was a case for his promotion I didnt agree with his appointment regardless of 'irons in the fire' or the perceived need for continuity. Our performance on Tuesday was very encouraging despite the scoreline and I have every hope that we build on this starting Saturday, however, and im not necessarily cynical by nature (I pretty much backed Johnson to the hilt), I simply struggle to see us succeeding under Millen.

I want to see Bristol City succeed, Johnson, Coppell, Millen, the man at the helm is completely irrelevant to me, but my honest opinion is that Millen will do well to be manager by Xmas.

Here. Oh, my mistake, we were bottom after 20 games! I seem to remember the game relating to this table was the last game in the 9 match losing streak, a 1-0 home defeat where we peppered the away end with shots and didn't get our just desserts; sound familiar?

I stand corrected.

Another period in the soap opera that is BCFC, leading up to this period, one player trashes a pub, another is being pulled nightly by the old bill because of his affiliation to rather nasty gang, a 7-1 away defeat (the manager sulks for an hour after the game in the dug out), 3 players manage to get arrested and banged up, the majority of the squad had set out on a quest to drink Bristol dry and then throw their dummies out of the play pen when told it cannot be allowed to carry on, Happy days.

I really believe we have a very talented squad and hopefully playing a proper 3-5-2 (that's 2 recognised strikers upfront) at home to Norwich instead of the 3-5-1-1 that we appeared to play against Portsmouth, we can secure a win. 3-5-2 means that the 3 defenders must have complete trust in each other and to know exactly what their role is within the unit, it leaves little room for mistakes or loss of concentration, but when it works well, wow it can be awesome, it dosen't suit all teams so fingers crossed.

My worry is more about playing attractive football but losing too many games, I really don't want to hear 'we were brilliant'' but another home defeat, the pundit's favourite 'too good to go down' is inscribed on the tombstones of many a fine ex-manager, as I said in a previous post I have supported BCFC for over 50 years so well used to being served conservative doses of hope, it's the hope that keeps me going through the soap opera's described above, even Stead has mentioned we may need to win ugly, I know it's stating the obvious but we do a run of games unbeaten and a few clean sheets, catch up ain't easy especially when morale is low.

I really believe we have a very talented squad and hopefully playing a proper 3-5-2 (that's 2 recognised strikers upfront) at home to Norwich instead of the 3-5-1-1 that we appeared to play against Portsmouth, we can secure a win. 3-5-2 means that the 3 defenders must have complete trust in each other and to know exactly what their role is within the unit, it leaves little room for mistakes or loss of concentration, but when it works well, wow it can be awesome, it dosen't suit all teams so fingers crossed.

From the sounds of it, the first goal on Tuesday was an error from the midfield/Ribeiro allowing Utaka too much space to get in on the back 3, the second an individual error in tracking a man and the third should never have stood. The formation was a test for the players & incorporating an unknown entity in Caulker. It didn't quite come off but it wasn't far off; we could easily have won that game and Portsmouth hardly had us on the rack at any point. I agree that 3-5-2 is the way to go, but Adomah & Stead linked up well and could both have had a couple of goals. Don't see why that needs changing.

My worry is more about playing attractive football but losing too many games, I really don't want to hear 'we were brilliant'' but another home defeat, the pundit's favourite 'too good to go down' is inscribed on the tombstones of many a fine ex-manager, as I said in a previous post I have supported BCFC for over 50 years so well used to being served conservative doses of hope, it's the hope that keeps me going through the soap opera's described above, even Stead has mentioned we may need to win ugly, I know it's stating the obvious but we do a run of games unbeaten and a few clean sheets, catch up ain't easy especially when morale is low.

I see your point but I think if we're coming away saying 'we were brilliant' for the next few weeks, luck tends to even itself out and we'll get what we deserve sooner or later.

Archived