IGNORED

Lansdown Great Or Just Good?

pocketscrot

Steve Lansdown is the best thing that ever happened to this club. End of story.

I agree, I really do wonder where we would be without what he has put into the club.

The money we have spent over the last few years is massive for a club averaging about 14.000. Most of that is SL's money.

He has a vision for this club, unfortunately people outside the club are doing all they can to stop this vision.

Ive never met him but he seems a genuinly nice bloke.

Steve Lansdown is a fine man. He's honest, clever, ambitious, amiable and absolutely has the best interests of the football club and the area at heart. He also has the means to make a difference and is willing to put in his time and money to do so.

He's not omnipotent, however. He's a shrewd businessman and a football fan of many years but nobody teaches you how to run a football club. He's had to make that up as he's gone along and for all you can point to things he's done wrong (so Tinnion didn't work out that well but I doubt there's anybody who didn't wish he would be a success) he's done so much, much more right that I honestly don't believe there is anyone out there better for the club.

One of my best friends supports Wrexham. When I first met him, over 10 years ago, our clubs were in the same division and relatively well matched. Since then we've seen Steve Lansdown take over at City whilst at the same time they were taken over by an asset-stripper who destroyed the club. Ten years on and we've been in touching distance of the Premier League and have the possibility of a new stadium and hosting World Cup matches, whilst they are mired in the Conference with part of their ground already turned into housing and the rest of it at risk. Think about that before you criticise Lansdown.

Steve Lansdown is a fine man. He's honest, clever, ambitious, amiable and absolutely has the best interests of the football club and the area at heart. He also has the means to make a difference and is willing to put in his time and money to do so.

He's not omnipotent, however. He's a shrewd businessman and a football fan of many years but nobody teaches you how to run a football club. He's had to make that up as he's gone along and for all you can point to things he's done wrong (so Tinnion didn't work out that well but I doubt there's anybody who didn't wish he would be a success) he's done so much, much more right that I honestly don't believe there is anyone out there better for the club.

One of my best friends supports Wrexham. When I first met him, over 10 years ago, our clubs were in the same division and relatively well matched. Since then we've seen Steve Lansdown take over at City whilst at the same time they were taken over by an asset-stripper who destroyed the club. Ten years on and we've been in touching distance of the Premier League and have the possibility of a new stadium and hosting World Cup matches, whilst they are mired in the Conference with part of their ground already turned into housing and the rest of it at risk. Think about that before you criticise Lansdown.

Agree, and with everything others have posted, I don't think SL's commitment, love or ambition for the club can ever, ever, ever be called into question.

Spot on, spot on. SL is fully behind the club and we should be fully behind him, we are VERY lucky to have him. His vision for the club cannot be achieved over night.

I know its a frustrating situation at the moment, but getting on his back is really low.

Coppell was a major coup for the club (at the time) no one could have forseen what he was going to do. Expect a few 'know it alls' on here!

My understanding is when Coppell left he put in a good word for Keith, he rated him and acknowledged the good job he did at the end of the last season, maybe so did SL. People have short memories, he really got us organised then, lets hope he can do it again.

Spot on, spot on. SL is fully behind the club and we should be fully behind him, we are VERY lucky to have him. His vision for the club cannot be achieved over night.

I know its a frustrating situation at the moment, but getting on his back is really low.

Completely agree with all of the positive sentiments above about SL.

Whoever did what, at the time bringing in Coppell and James were fantastic coups; City was really on the map for a bit. I think (hope) Millen will bring at least some stability if given enough time and you have to back the Chairman's decision in that don't you? Maybe if you go all Man City you

could look at how Hughes was treated, or Southgate perhaps...tough this football malarky!?

To be purely devil's advocate you could also argue that someone who is trying to run a self-financing football club whilst being an admirable aim is probably not quite realistic these days. I know he gets a chunk of BCFC for the privilege but thanks to SL for paying the bills on that one, and pushing for the stadium, etcetc... The only thing he could do is blow his entire fortune on making us successful (Blackburn?) but...!!! He is a shrewd businessman not a complete gambler?!...trying to build something sustainable, gotta be a good shout hasn't it?

Perfect Chairman surely?

With Millen I feel KM didn't have much pressure last season. Only a caretaker and that. Now he's the actual boss I worry he doesn't want to risk too many changes and keeping to a similar side to what Coppell played in case he really messes it up.

Good post. I completely agree that we could be in a dire situation if SL hadn't stuck with us in the years he has been chairman. God knows he has had enough reasons to walk away.

I've made several investments with Hargreaves Lansdown because I want to give back something (small) to the man who has done so much for Bristol City. If I had more money, I would trust him and his company with it.

I can't say more than that. The man has the club at heart and I back him and his judgment. Compared to having an overseas owner or humiliated by a foreign consortium, I would take Steve Lansdown and Championship football any day.

Xiled.

I refer to the Coppell hiring.

The speed in which Milly was made replacement manager, indicated one thing.

That thing being Milly was on a promise to be the next manager. Coppell was on a 1 year rolling contract and his early departure must have been exasperating for SL as it was for us fans.

I think SL has the club at heart, however running a football club is more of a people managing operation, than operating a financial business. With our football club. he has to rely on players, trainers, coaches, administrators, ground staff etc. His financial empire can operate out of a few offices and a compliment of computors. His wealth is from a well run business. Our football club is his hobby and passion. Similar to other rich men breeding and racing horses. I have a rich relation with a staff of two and 4 computors, she cleared 3 million last year and ploughed it into the depressed real estate market.

I remember when Marcus Stewart was signed, SL said it had always been one of his objectives to bring Stewart back to Bristol . Then of course we had Stewart butting heads with GJ. Classic case of a Chairman getting involved with running the squad.

Our current rate of debt is unsustainable, IMO. We have a huge squad and wage bill, crowds hovering around 13 to 14,000 and we are in the relegation zone. Chelsea and Arsenal made huge cuts in squad sizes and only made a few signings. City have made a substantial increase in squad size with an increase in signings/loans.

Somewhere down the line, something has to give !

Lansdown is simply the best thing ever to happen to this club and tbh we shouldn't really question him, he has pumped millions into this club and people still complain that he doesn't get his cheque book out,

He wants a new ground and ppl complain that we shouldn't leave ashton gate,

We win promotion and ppl complain that we're not in the prem,

Bristol City fans do not deserve Steve Lansdown and if he walks away it probbally mean the end of Bristol city as we wouldn't be able to cover the debt that lansdown does (out of his own pocket)

In my lifetime BCFC has had 2 great Chairmen - Harry Doleman and Steve Lansdown. Is it a coincidence that both enjoyed their greatest sucess when a manager was given time to develop a team?

Doleman gave Alan Dicks the time to take a struggling 2nd division team into the 1st division, often against the wishes of many fans. Similarly, Gary Johnson was given the time to take an underachieving 3rd division team to the brink of the Premier League despite faint hearted fans calling for his head when things didn't go so well.

I would also suggest that one of the reasons for both periods of sucess was the strong working and personal relationship that developed between chairman and manager and I think we all felt that during Gary Johnson's time. A consequence of this is that it must be very difficult for both the incoming manager and chairman to follow such a working relationship. In the case fo Coppell and now Millen, that is made even harder because SL has upped sticks to the Channel Islands, so it will be harder to develop the same relationship when the chairman is not just down the corridor.

The last few months has seen more upheavel at the Gate than for many a year - 3 managers in as many months, a greater turnover of players than I can remember, and all the off field issues regarding the new stadium. Against this background, it seems very harsh to judge the quality of SL's chairmanship just by looking at our current league position.

For SL to be regarded on a level with Harry Doleman I suppose he has to achieve top flight football. However, SL has had to bring the club from a lower base, and at a time when the gulf between top flight football and league 1 is much greater than it was back in the '70's, particularly in terms fo finances. He appears to back his manager 100%, both emotionally and financially, and I don't think we could ask any more in that respect. His ambitions for a new ground fit for the World Cup and the Premier League say everything about his ambitions for the club, and also demonstrate his longer term intentions.

At the time Coppell looked like a great appointment and, I think, was just about everyone's favourite candidate. It's only hindsight that tells us it was a mistake.

That's actually an interesting point. I don't think there was quite the unanimous joy at Coppell's appointment that you suggest. I know of several people who had reservations from the word go, and certainly we were being warned by fans of his previous clubs that there might be difficulties ahead - and the threat of him only staying a short time was always with us. I think that alarm bells began to ring almost immediately on appointment when we learned that he would not be able to take up his post straight away: all that talk of family commitments and foreign holidays was unconvincing, especially when he was seen in the stands at another ground. Had he taken up post straight away, the situation might have been different, but as it was he left himself a mountain to climb in terms of assessing the current squad, planning what was needed and then trying to get the best players in. Of course the injury situation didn't help, but I think he was already struggling and we went into the transfer market this summer severely hampered by a lack of preparation.

I think Steve Lansdown has done remarkable things for this club, and will continue to do so, but I do think he must take the responsibility for the Coppell affair. I am surprised that alarm bells weren't ringing during the selection process, and knowing Coppell's history I would have hoped we would have tested the likelihood of history repeating itself. I wasn't convinced by Coppell's enthusiasm for the job from day one - did Steve Lansdown and the Board share those concerns? I find it very hard to understand how Coppell convinced Lansdown that he had 110% ethusiasm and commitment to the post when I think the fans thought otherwise right from the beginning. Everyone kept saying 'he's deep, he's quiet, he's a thinker' but I remember fans voicing concerns from a very early stage and being shouted down. My surprise now is that the appointment was ever made in the first place, but as you say, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I agree that Lansdown is one of the best Chairmen City have ever had, and he is largely responsible for the club being in the healthy state it is. However, even top blokes like Steve Lansdown occasionally make mistakes, and I think Coppell was one of them.

Just to clarify i fully respect everything Steve Lansdown does and has done for this club.

What i am questioning is does he have the abilty to meet his and our ambitions of been a top flight team. It does concern me over some of the decisions around management of late - the taking on of copout, the panic recuritment of millen (many have said if he was not good enough in the first place should he be good enough now).

We harbour great expectations (new stadium -albiet a battle to get this), apparantly the best squad we have ever had (although the current results are not reflecting this).

Lansdown has done a fantastic job regarding reaching into his own pocket to finance the club and the new stadium. However it does go to show money wont buy success....

So does anyone think the buck stops at the top?

Hopefully you are just fishing and don't honestly believe what you wrote.

Everyone including you I would assume was delighted and very excited when it was confirmed we had Coppell as our manager, SL was not to know SC was a mentalist and would leave us in the way he did. hindsight is a fine thing

Ultimately SL as been one of the greatest Chairmen our club has seen and I have nothing but the upmost respect for the man. He deserves better than a poster questioning his position .

Im all for freedom of speech and embracing others opinions on a forum but with that comes a resonsibility to think prior to posting such utter tripe.

That's actually an interesting point. I don't think there was quite the unanimous joy at Coppell's appointment that you suggest. I know of several people who had reservations from the word go, and certainly we were being warned by fans of his previous clubs that there might be difficulties ahead - and the threat of him only staying a short time was always with us. I think that alarm bells began to ring almost immediately on appointment when we learned that he would not be able to take up his post straight away: all that talk of family commitments and foreign holidays was unconvincing, especially when he was seen in the stands at another ground. Had he taken up post straight away, the situation might have been different, but as it was he left himself a mountain to climb in terms of assessing the current squad, planning what was needed and then trying to get the best players in. Of course the injury situation didn't help, but I think he was already struggling and we went into the transfer market this summer severely hampered by a lack of preparation.

I think Steve Lansdown has done remarkable things for this club, and will continue to do so, but I do think he must take the responsibility for the Coppell affair. I am surprised that alarm bells weren't ringing during the selection process, and knowing Coppell's history I would have hoped we would have tested the likelihood of history repeating itself. I wasn't convinced by Coppell's enthusiasm for the job from day one - did Steve Lansdown and the Board share those concerns? I find it very hard to understand how Coppell convinced Lansdown that he had 110% ethusiasm and commitment to the post when I think the fans thought otherwise right from the beginning. Everyone kept saying 'he's deep, he's quiet, he's a thinker' but I remember fans voicing concerns from a very early stage and being shouted down. My surprise now is that the appointment was ever made in the first place, but as you say, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I agree that Lansdown is one of the best Chairmen City have ever had, and he is largely responsible for the club being in the healthy state it is. However, even top blokes like Steve Lansdown occasionally make mistakes, and I think Coppell was one of them.

I think you're right, but as with Tinnion, who didn't ignore those alarm bells because they wanted the appointment to be a success?

I wasn't concerned by Coppell's downbeat attitude because that's simply how he is at the best of times, but his lack of attendance at the end of last season and pre-season inactivity did slightly worry me. However I was willing to ignore this because I was pleased to have a manager of his calibre in charge and confident he would do the job given time. Unfortunately I, and everybody else who trusted him to stick it out, was wrong.

When Lansdown makes mistakes they're understandable mistakes. They're mistakes any of us would make because, whilst he's probably a smarter and more experienced and successful businessman than 99% of people he's still just a supporter of the club with a lot of money. He can't be expected to do any more than make the decision he feels best at the current point in time.

I think you're right, but as with Tinnion, who didn't ignore those alarm bells because they wanted the appointment to be a success?

I wasn't concerned by Coppell's downbeat attitude because that's simply how he is at the best of times, but his lack of attendance at the end of last season and pre-season inactivity did slightly worry me. However I was willing to ignore this because I was pleased to have a manager of his calibre in charge and confident he would do the job given time. Unfortunately I, and everybody else who trusted him to stick it out, was wrong.

When Lansdown makes mistakes they're understandable mistakes. They're mistakes any of us would make because, whilst he's probably a smarter and more experienced and successful businessman than 99% of people he's still just a supporter of the club with a lot of money. He can't be expected to do any more than make the decision he feels best at the current point in time.

Completely agree.

Just to clarify i fully respect everything Steve Lansdown does and has done for this club.

What i am questioning is does he have the abilty to meet his and our ambitions of been a top flight team. It does concern me over some of the decisions around management of late - the taking on of copout, the panic recuritment of millen (many have said if he was not good enough in the first place should he be good enough now).

We harbour great expectations (new stadium -albiet a battle to get this), apparantly the best squad we have ever had (although the current results are not reflecting this).

Lansdown has done a fantastic job regarding reaching into his own pocket to finance the club and the new stadium. However it does go to show money wont buy success....

So does anyone think the buck stops at the top?

Though I respect that everyone has an opinion - I find this completely insane and almost journalistic in that it is trying to trigger a certain response from likely forum members.

What I will say is, if you can't recognise what Steve Lansdown has done for Bristol City FC in the past ten years then you really are kidding yourself if you think that we are in trouble right now.

Steve has got on with running this club in such a professional manner, it puts many others clubs (most notably above us in league position and division) to shame.

If we had been more slapdash and naive then I think we could have been in the Prem by now, but that would be no solid foundation to build on and you just need to look at the likes of Hull, Palace, Sheffield Wednesday and potentially Cardiff to see what happens when you get it wrong and you gamble.

Money won't buy you success in this division, but stability and investment will allow you to grow and that is exactly what makes Lansdown a true great in reference to his achievements at Ashton Gate.

he's a great. no question about it! i would take him over any sheik or oil barron billionaire who could walk at any point and leave us in the shit! personally i can see us in 20 years being in a higher league position than man city (more than likely them getting worse than us getting better), i might be dreamin but as soon as that mansour guy walks they are well and truly up shit creek without a paddle, IN STEVE LANSDOWN I TRUST!

Hopefully you are just fishing and don't honestly believe what you wrote.

Everyone including you I would assume was delighted and very excited when it was confirmed we had Coppell as our manager, SL was not to know SC was a mentalist and would leave us in the way he did. hindsight is a fine thing

Ultimately SL as been one of the greatest Chairmen our club has seen and I have nothing but the upmost respect for the man. He deserves better than a poster questioning his position .

Im all for freedom of speech and embracing others opinions on a forum but with that comes a resonsibility to think prior to posting such utter tripe.

If you take note of my original post there is nothing that states my personal views on the matter. I was simply curious as to what other forum posters thought on the matter (please see the very first sentence). If my question was complete tripe, why have we had 2 pages of response, and more to the point why have you bothered wasting your time answering.

Archived