IGNORED

Is Millen Over Qualified For The Job?

potbelly

He was reported to have been the star pupil at Lilleshall, passing all of his coaching badges with merit.

GJ used to say that it was KM who was the expert with Prozone, always had his head buried in it and GJ openly admitted that he didn`t really understand it.

I think we are over coached, (thought the same about England in SA).

All of this theory is fine and i am sure it looks good on paper but it can`t give you the real skills you need to be a football manager.

Will we improve our defence by telling Liam that he spent too long in Zone 5 and only ran 856 metres in Zone 3 ?

Do managers like Keane, Warnock, Holloway and Rednapp rely on Prozone and charts? i bet they don`t.

They are managers that have acheived varying degrees of success by good old fashioned sleeves up man management and experience of football.

There was a break in play yesterday when we were 3 down. 4 or 5 players were at the Norwich bench getting instructions.

Not one of our players even looked at our bench. Millen was just stood there again with arms folded.

Probably trying to work out how he was going to tell the gifted Danny Rose that he had spent too long in Area 7 and making a mental note to ask SW to have a quiet word with Danny on Monday to remind him where Area 7 actually is.

My main concern is that Millen is an ex centre half and the defence is the worst part of the team. Prozone is widely used and no doubt beneficial, but perhaps it would also be beneficial if the manager conversed with his players and explained the formation he has chosen!! I went to Pompey on Tuesday and Steve Cotterill spent the entire game in his technical area, screaming instructions, right to the death. Millen sat and stood close to his seat looking nervous.

If we lose the next two he'll be gone.... we simply can't afford to go down.

I have to admit this is a bugbear of mine too. All my work experience tells me that qualifications only prove you are capable of passing exams and tell you little or nothing about what a person can actually do in practice. I have been subjected endlessly to people fresh out of consultancy school who simply parrot theory but are totally incapable of managing anything or anyone.It looks much the same in football to me. I strongly suspect Brian Clough would have failed the UEFA license and never got a job. All we are facing is an army of "qualified" people expertly teaching the wrong things and trusting quasi-scientific analysis over the evidence of their own eyes.Keith clearly believes he is being very clever with his constantly changing formations and playing people out of position. Unfortunately the players are clearly completely baffled by it.

I have to admit this is a bugbear of mine too. All my work experience tells me that qualifications only prove you are capable of passing exams and tell you little or nothing about what a person can actually do in practice. I have been subjected endlessly to people fresh out of consultancy school who simply parrot theory but are totally incapable of managing anything or anyone.It looks much the same in football to me. I strongly suspect Brian Clough would have failed the UEFA license and never got a job. All we are facing is an army of "qualified" people expertly teaching the wrong things and trusting quasi-scientific analysis over the evidence of their own eyes.Keith clearly believes he is being very clever with his constantly changing formations and playing people out of position. Unfortunately the players are clearly completely baffled by it.

Agreed. Badges and qualifications do not tell you how well soembody can do a job.

For example I have worked with sufficient people with MBAs to regard that qualification as a big negative on a CV; they try to apply their mid-West management theory because they've learnt it whether it is applicable or not. It usually isn't and the attempt to apply it wastes time and is damaging to the company.

I'd like to tell Keith what to do with his pro-zone. Stick it up the place where the sun don't shine. Football is a game of beauty and also a game of passion and you get none of that looking at a dumb machine. Watch the game, watch it over again and form your opinions. Decide on the formation you want to play and strengthen the sqad accordingly. No need to assemble a huge squad of average players so that you can play any system that's ever been dreamed of. You just end up with a bunch of guys that can't possibly be happy bech-warming, that's if they get that close to match day. Squad size, of course, is not wholly Millen's fault but he now has the task of reducing it to manageable proportions.

Prozone is a fantastic tool used not only by BCFC but other top clubs too, i find it difficult to understand how people could comment on this unless you've used the package

Coaching qualifications are a big plus too, it does show your ability to coach

There is no qualification to to show the ability to motivate players on match day, some can be screamed at, some need an arm around, and some just have the motivation with themselves. For many isnt it just confidence!

I dont belive we as fans should keep questioning Millen's ability as this may even add thoughts of doubt in his mind, A manager needs the backing and so do players to build confidence to try new things.

Prozone is a fantastic tool used not only by BCFC but other top clubs too, i find it difficult to understand how people could comment on this unless you've used the package

Coaching qualifications are a big plus too, it does show your ability to coach

There is no qualification to to show the ability to motivate players on match day, some can be screamed at, some need an arm around, and some just have the motivation with themselves. For many isnt it just confidence!

I dont belive we as fans should keep questioning Millen's ability as this may even add thoughts of doubt in his mind, A manager needs the backing and so do players to build confidence to try new things.

In any management role these days there is lots of technology to support decision making. However they provide information only and are an aid to not substitute for judgement. There is also lots of management training but you cannot manage by reading the handouts they gave you as people will soon cotton on. And I still maintain qualifications show your ability to pass exams not to put learning into practice. We have been an increasing shambles for 2 years. What exactly have Keith's qualifications done to change that?

i dont disagree we've been in a difficult period, however Millen has done a fantastic job over a longer period, maybe that in a number two role (the coaching) perhaps it's the new number two that isnt up to the job rather than the manager!

It could be that the pair and the arrival of new players need time to gel and plan the most positive way forward. The problem with City fans we expect immediate success

Coaching badges r worth a piece of paper. Who is anyone to tell a ex pro how he should manage don't make sence to me. Star pupil is he Millen, Stuart Attwell is a good ref aswell. I wish the star pupil went 4-4-2 after twenty minutes not the second half, i think 13,000 people relised this no badges though.

i dont disagree we've been in a difficult period, however Millen has done a fantastic job over a longer period, maybe that in a number two role (the coaching) perhaps it's the new number two that isnt up to the job rather than the manager!

It could be that the pair and the arrival of new players need time to gel and plan the most positive way forward. The problem with City fans we expect immediate success

City fans do not expect immediate success, however we do expect progression on the ptich. Over the last 2 and a bit years, there has been NO progression. None at all!! Players have not improved and still make the same mistakes. Players like Fontaine and Elliott....who were tipped to move on to bigger and better things, are on a fast track to Yeovil!! It doesnt matter how many new players we bring in....they make the same mistakes as whoever they replace.....

....which leads me on to your second point about Millens "fantastic job over a long period"......I disagree. I dont think he has. He trains these players every day...yet they never get any better. That syas to me his coaching skills are not working.

Call it a day Millie....time to move on

City fans do not expect immediate success, however we do expect progression on the ptich. Over the last 2 and a bit years, there has been NO progression. None at all!! Players have not improved and still make the same mistakes. Players like Fontaine and Elliott....who were tipped to move on to bigger and better things, are on a fast track to Yeovil!! It doesnt matter how many new players we bring in....they make the same mistakes as whoever they replace.....

....which leads me on to your second point about Millens "fantastic job over a long period"......I disagree. I dont think he has. He trains these players every day...yet they never get any better. That syas to me his coaching skills are not working.

Call it a day Millie....time to move on

Well put.

Play Offs have given many a massive expectancy / hope.

Had we finished mid table that season we would not now be expecting a top six finish since

Yes I would love promotion but being realistic I think Championship for at least another two seasons. Yes with Millen in charge despite a very poor start

Well, I'm not sure about that. How qualified were Messrs Adams, Inice and Southgate a couple of years ago when they ****** up in the PL?

If anything I'd say we have a lack of qualified coaches at youth level- Spain, who are European and World Champions have a lot more properly qualified at youth level than we do per player, can't remember the exact stats but clearly we know which side was much better in possession, fluency etc.

At the risk of making this a toilet based post, maybe Millen is a number two and not a number one.

Is he too close to the players, is he 'naturally' a number two and can't or won't distance himself from the players.

There's been many a good number two who took the step up to be number one only to fail.

One thing is for sure, the football we are seeing at the moment is pure number twos........................:disapointed2se:

Guest Mr Mosquito

He was reported to have been the star pupil at Lilleshall, passing all of his coaching badges with merit.

GJ used to say that it was KM who was the expert with Prozone, always had his head buried in it and GJ openly admitted that he didn`t really understand it.

All of this theory is fine and i am sure it looks good on paper but it can`t give you the real skills you need to be a football manager.

Will we improve our defence by telling Liam that he spent too long in Zone 5 and only ran 856 metres in Zone 3 ?

Do managers like Keane, Warnock, Holloway and Rednapp rely on Prozone and charts? i bet they don`t.

They are managers that have acheived varying degrees of success by good old fashioned sleeves up man management and experience of football.

There was a break in play yesterday when we were 3 down. 4 or 5 players were at the Norwich bench getting instructions.

Not one of our players even looked at our bench. Millen was just stood there again with arms folded.

Probably trying to work out how he was going to tell the gifted Danny Rose that he had spent too long in Area 7 and making a mental note to ask SW to have a quiet word with Danny on Monday to remind him where Area 7 actually is.

Let's look at the positive, at least Millen was given a go with the manager's job. Millen and Walshy finished last season so well that Millen deserved his chance at the helm. Now might be the time to move on and bring in a fresh managerial team while there's still time to save our Championship status.

Keane does and was in the same shithouse were in this point last year.

Archived