IGNORED

Too Many Players

fatman

Historically, top teams use less players over a season than bottom teams. IMO we have too many average players cluttering up the selection process. This is why we need a tough manager to make tough decisions. I think we need a squad of 15 or so players to form a group which can be moulded into a unit with form and focus.The players i feel are currently outside of that squad are: JCR (USELESS)

Carey (Good servant but now must move over)

Skuse (being found out this season)

Sproule (Pace without finish)

Clarkson(occasional finish without pace)

Fontain(I like him but am seeing it through the eyes of a tough manager)

Mcallister( Not the villain he is painted but still not up to it)

Johnson(last seasons whipping boy turned saviour?)

Realise many will disagree but, what do you want, more of the same? Remember, think tough new manager with an under performing team shipping goals at an alarming rate. Next decision is do we play with two wingers? Nice when you are winning but not so good when you are scrapping for points. All of these thoughts should have been sorted in pre season but they weren't. That is why we now need fresh thinking from a tough manager! The difficult bit is who do you put your faith in!

How do we get rid of them? Most are on decent contracts, are unlikely to attract similar offers at new clubs, so we would have to pay them off. I suspect that most Clubs have a sensible sized squad, so won't be looking for our reject players.I think KM tried to shift a few in August, and could not do it. I have been banging on for Months that we need quality and not quantity, but with GJ getting players contracted early, and two managers this season, we have just added to the numbers, creating a large squad of pretty ordinary players, that it is difficult to create an effective team from. 5 wingers, but little quality in central midfield - Sums it up really.

Fatman, your player evaluations:

JCR (USELESS)

Carey (Good servant but now must move over)

Skuse (being found out this season)

Sproule (Pace without finish)

Clarkson(occasional finish without pace)

Fontain(I like him but am seeing it through the eyes of a tough manager)

Mcallister( Not the villain he is painted but still not up to it)

Johnson(last seasons whipping boy turned saviour?)

Some I agree with some I don't here's mine:

JCR (squad player and impact sub)

Skuse (poor so far this season - reverting back to previous standards which just aren't championship quality)

Sproule (very much like JCR but we never know a new manager might get the best out of him - speculative, I know)

Clarkson (probably the one that has to prove himself or be sold out of the lot)

Fontaine (not quite what he used to be... and I'm not sure why - maybe he needs time to get his game back though and I certainly wouldn't axe him)

Mcallister (needs replacing, not because he doesn't try but because he's just not got what he had so to speak)

Johnson (squad player and useful option coming off the bench but not a starter when higher calibre players are in the squad)

And then for players who need serious reviewing for their place here I would also include:

Elliot - not sure what's going on with his game at all he's a shadow of the player we had in the play off season

Stewart - not quite what we thought he would be?

Hunt - perhaps he's injured perhaps not either way like Stewart he's not been what I expected

Akinde - can he make the step up to this level? I'm not convinced at the moment

In all, you are right that the squad needs clipping a bit but the real test will be how the players that are cut are replaced. Will they be replaced like for like or will we be able to attract that better quality player?

Archived