IGNORED

Fellows Park

Kingswood Robin

A break from the doom & gloom!

I had to travel to Walsall last week for work and out of curiosity I thought I'd drive past their old ground, Fellows Park. First time I'd been there since that 3 legged play-off final back in 1988 (whats David Kelly up to these days?). It brought back great memories of getting up at 2am and queing for tickets for that 3rd game. It was strange to think it's gone, I remember some great awaydays up there in the 80s making a hell of a noise in that old wooden stand. Goodness knows what it'll feel like if we leave Ashton Gate.

I was amazed at how the area had changed. Guess what was on the site of the former ground, thats right a supermarket ! If they can do it........

Anyway, back to Millen & relegation.

That's a co-incidence. I was driving past their new ground last week on the M6 thinking about the visits to Fellows Park. God life's grim up north - the views from that section of motorway are horrendous.

Anyhow, back to Fellows Park - remember nipping over the low wall on to the running track to have a chat in no-mans-land with a workmate at H/T. West Midlands Finest weren't programmed for that behavior so resorted to the default position of telling us to **** off back to your terrace or you'll be ejected. Glad to see their chariot upturned after the match. They've never forgiven us!

I had to travel to Walsall last week for work and out of curiosity I thought I'd drive past their old ground, Fellows Park. First time I'd been there since that 3 legged play-off final back in 1988 (whats David Kelly up to these days?). It brought back great memories of getting up at 2am and queing for tickets for that 3rd game. It was strange to think it's gone, I remember some great awaydays up there in the 80s making a hell of a noise in that old wooden stand. Goodness knows what it'll feel like if we leave Ashton Gate.

I was amazed at how the area had changed. Guess what was on the site of the former ground, thats right a supermarket ! If they can do it........

The supermarket is Morrisons, I have been in there a few times, in the Cafe they had Walsall football pictures on the walls, a few of them were from the play off game you mention, not sure if they are still on the walls now though.

I remember I was an 11 year old boy being dragged out of the ground by my mother because it was obviously going to kick-off. Going up the incline, there was a Police Van on it's side having been overturned by our mob. Looked back through the gap between the stands to see Carl Shutt walking off after being dismissed, the weaving through a mini-riot, I was bitten on the arm by a Police Dog and kicked in the shin by a Police Horse. I had a horseshoe-shaped bruise on my leg for weeks. In the melee, got separated from mum and ended up being shoved on the players coach until the riot was over! I sat in Alan Walsh's seat.....or so the driver told me!

Ah yes, I remember it well....

Let the dogs snap at anybody, old people, kids, who cares! Their van got what it deserved, well it WAS parked in the way on the exit from the ground! I've never seen a more disgraceful bunch of bill on any of my trips away with the mighty reds!

Carl Shutts right hook to the Goalkeeper was a classic, think he was 'feeling the vibe'. I don't condone what he did but there was passion for the team, something which does look a little lacking at the moment.

I'll never forgive David 'one man team' Kelly for virtually single-handedly beating us! :disapointed2se:

I remember the 2nd leg of the play off sat in the stand while David Moyes, who had left us ages ago by then, was stood in the gangway with us watching the match and getting just as excited as us as we pressed for the winner. Unfortunately I also remember the following game which was as good as finished in the first 1/2 hour,but we had to stay and watch the rest thanks to the lovely West Midlands Police.

Remember it well, the 3rd game back up there, I was thrown out by the west midlands gastapo just for putting the Vs up to the walsall players when they came out onto the pitch, and had to watch the rest of the game in the walsall end, this is the only force I have ever seen use mounted police to charge at supporters in the terracing behind the goal, It was unbelievable. Still Ralph Milne got a lot to answer for missing that 2 yard sitter in the last 5 minutes of the 2 leg up there. and he ended up at man united, worst ever fergie signing.

Over 20 yrs ago and seems like yesterday.....

Queueing for ages on a Sunday morn to get the tickets - remember one of the old Will's warehouses being demolished that morning as well

Went up there on the Bank Hol Mon wearing our brand new "GERMANY 88 - ENGLAND + SUPPORT BRISTOL CITY - lock up your daughters" T Shirts - fresh from AG Market

There were two Police vans that came in for special attention if I remember..............One a small dog van right behind the away terracing that nearly everyone had a kick at as they passed out the ground and the second a larger minibus type that was parked in the middle of a row of other police vans on the railway bridge.....this one got turned on its side and pushed into the road!

As for the game ......After doing so well to win 2-0 and reverse a 1-3 from the first leg ......it was our own fault for not winning the penalty shootout to decide venue for 3rd game .......if we had brought them back to AG we would have done em good n proper

Remember it well, the 3rd game back up there, I was thrown out by the west midlands gastapo just for putting the Vs up to the walsall players when they came out onto the pitch, and had to watch the rest of the game in the walsall end, this is the only force I have ever seen use mounted police to charge at supporters in the terracing behind the goal, It was unbelievable. Still Ralph Milne got a lot to answer for missing that 2 yard sitter in the last 5 minutes of the 2 leg up there. and he ended up at man united, worst ever fergie signing.

be fair, he did score a cracker up at York to put us in that position!

Queueing for ages on a Sunday morn to get the tickets - remember one of the old Will's warehouses being demolished that morning as well

Went up there on the Bank Hol Mon wearing our brand new "GERMANY 88 - ENGLAND + SUPPORT BRISTOL CITY - lock up your daughters" T Shirts - fresh from AG Market

There were two Police vans that came in for special attention if I remember..............One a small dog van right behind the away terracing that nearly everyone had a kick at as they passed out the ground and the second a larger minibus type that was parked in the middle of a row of other police vans on the railway bridge.....this one got turned on its side and pushed into the road!

As for the game ......After doing so well to win 2-0 and reverse a 1-3 from the first leg ......it was our own fault for not winning the penalty shootout to decide venue for 3rd game .......if we had brought them back to AG we would have done em good n proper

Home game was a diabolical let down, the return was a fantastic result in the sun, tempered only by losing the right to play at home in the decider. I felt at that moment that none of us really wanted to return 2 days later - it felt after the comeback that we'd had our day - and there was already considerable agitation from the police at Fellows Park which simmered over to the replay.

Nevertheless we got back to Bristol and celebrated our comeback, to such an extent that I overslept the next morning and there was already a huge queue by the time I got to AG for replay tickets. When I was about sixth in the queue for the old club shop portacabin they suddenly said, "That's it, sold out".doh.gif

Luckily (dunno.gif) I got a phone call from a mate later that day to say he had a spare ticket so off we went back to Walsall the next morning. The weather was in stark contrast to the Saturday, horribly windy and rainy. Once in the ground we walked past our previous positions from the Saturday in the open end to seek shelter from the gale in the covered enclosure adjoining it at the side.

Fantastic pre match atmosphere from our 2 sides of the ground but all over after about 16 minutes with about as disastrous a start to any game that it was possible to imagine.

From then on it was all about the friction between the City fans and the police. I remember looking over to the open end at one point and the seeing the fury of fans trying to get help for an injured/collapsed fan and being ignored by stewards and police who just stood emotionless in a line on the pitch glaring at them.

The match dragged by in an atmosphere of incredible anti climax in our ends. Carl Shutt threw his punch, the whistle went at last ,and the Walsall fans flooded onto the pitch to celebrate their promotion.

The scenes outside have been discussed elsewhere, it was bedlam, that afternoon the police seemed determined to be heavy handed and rile the City fans at any opportunity after a bit of trouble at the first match ( as yet unreported by the time of the 2nd game due to the 2 games following so close together on a B/H weekend)

We just slunk back to the car in the rain, all enthusiasm drained.

The EP later reported that in total over 100 fans from Bristol were arrested at the 2 games.

I went to all 3 games - the last one was just a riot and Carls hook was a classic - the trouble was incredible in the last game as the other game up there went off well - having a police dog inches from my friend backside as he was disabled and couldnt walk to fast was horrible.

I complained and think it was the largest ever number of complaints outside the miners strike ever (or something like that!) - what happened..... **** all

I went to all 3 games - the last one was just a riot and Carls hook was a classic - the trouble was incredible in the last game as the other game up there went off well - having a police dog inches from my friend backside as he was disabled and couldnt walk to fast was horrible.

I complained and think it was the largest ever number of complaints outside the miners strike ever (or something like that!) - what happened..... **** all

remember it like it was yesterday getting charged by police horses at the back of the terrace then running up the grass bank and over the railings onto the road right where the meat wagon was on its side, as we are stood laughing filth come steaming past clock my mate in the face then proceed to nick him for having the cheek to complain. remember sitting back on the coach minus a few passengers on the way back. then back to the stanshaws in yate to explain to the landlord why his son was still in the west mids.

on another visit about seven of us came back over the bridge to be confronted by a load of walsall pouring out of the pub, but in the nick of time a load of our lot appeared and ive never seen so many blokes trying to get though one door all at once ! classic ! oh the memories.

was it a pen shootout ? i thought it was a toss of a coin ??? Might be wrong.

I was working for Gateway (as they were then) at the time, and actually did the site layout drawings for that one, just a few weeks after the game....................................revenge was so sweet!!

I volenteered to drive the bulldozer as well but they wouldn't let me :innocent06:

Ah yes, I remember it well....

Let the dogs snap at anybody, old people, kids, who cares! Their van got what it deserved, well it WAS parked in the way on the exit from the ground! I've never seen a more disgraceful bunch of bill on any of my trips away with the mighty reds!

Carl Shutts right hook to the Goalkeeper was a classic, think he was 'feeling the vibe'. I don't condone what he did but there was passion for the team, something which does look a little lacking at the moment.

I'll never forgive David 'one man team' Kelly for virtually single-handedly beating us! :disapointed2se:

There is a painting in the Tate Modern now called the death of David Kelly ,think it is about that scientist killed by the secret sevices ,thought at first it was by a City fan remembering that ******* dick who always scored against us.:laugh:

I remember for some strange reason just not bothering to queue up early for a ticket for that 3rd match , just got in my mini instead and drove to Fellows Park itself and got a few tickets for the home end, day of the game just pleaded ignorance and got walked round the pitch by the old bill to the City bit...

Archived