IGNORED

Some Mud Will Stick

Dastardly and Muttley

I'll begin this post by saying that I sincerely hope Millen can turn things around, and believe he should be given more time.

I've watched the debacle of the 2010/11 season from afar, now living in Buckinghamshire. I did make it to the Millwall game, and have listened to every game online since then. I am also a regular reader and poster on this forum.

Over the ten years plus that I have been a member on this forum, I have seen many fans go through phases of being disgruntled with players, management and board members. Sometimes these phases pass, and the people involved can turn things around and get out of these holes. Their time and luck runs out eventually, however, and almost always, disgruntlement eventually ends in heads rolling - even if it takes 2 years, as it did with Gary Johnson.

This current lambasting of Millen raises some real questions for me, about whether he can turn it around. I have seen several comments recently that he is:

- A "clipboard" manager

- Obsessed with technical data

- Lacks passion

- Unable to motivate players

- Picks players and substitutions as if he's choosing from a tombola

It worries me that Millen will find it extremely hard to shake off these concerns, and that even if things became successful, he could never fully win over the fans as he will always have this aura of being placid, technical and a "clipboard" manager. This is fast becoming the "Conference manager" label that was labelled to GJ.

I sincerely hope he can shake it off and get us out of this mess, but it will take some fight and scrapping, which I've yet to see so far this season.

Guest Mr Mosquito

I'll begin this post by saying that I sincerely hope Millen can turn things around, and believe he should be given more time.

I've watched the debacle of the 2010/11 season from afar, now living in Buckinghamshire. I did make it to the Millwall game, and have listened to every game online since then. I am also a regular reader and poster on this forum.

Over the ten years plus that I have been a member on this forum, I have seen many fans go through phases of being disgruntled with players, management and board members. Sometimes these phases pass, and the people involved can turn things around and get out of these holes. Their time and luck runs out eventually, however, and almost always, disgruntlement eventually ends in heads rolling - even if it takes 2 years, as it did with Gary Johnson.

This current lambasting of Millen raises some real questions for me, about whether he can turn it around. I have seen several comments recently that he is:

- A "clipboard" manager

- Lacks passion

It worries me that Millen will find it extremely hard to shake off these concerns, and that even if things became successful, he could never fully win over the fans as he will always have this aura of being placid, technical and a "clipboard" manager. This is fast becoming the "Conference manager" label that was labelled to GJ.

I sincerely hope he can shake it off and get us out of this mess, but it will take some fight and scrapping, which I've yet to see so far this season.

I hope Keith Millen can turn the tide. Alas, supporters are very upset due to our crap home form so far this season. Season tickets have been sold on the strength of the club going for promotion, now we're well up for relegation.

Only seen 1 game this season-you sir are a wise and lucky man.

I missed the Pompy game which by mosts reckoning was our best performance of the season, says a lot that we lost that one by 3 goals to one.

The next 3 games are massive for the whole club, they could be the catalyst for turning our season around or ending Millens tenure as manager at Ashton Gate, my money is on the latter as I think we will do well to get a point and keep the goals against below 10.

Guest redcliff red

When will Lansdown bite & give him the chop i wonder? any guesses?

It took him ages to finally sack Johnson. I reckon after the Leicester match - November 20th.

- A "clipboard" manager

- Lacks passion

Good overview of our current situation Dastardly.

Although I hate to call games "six pointers" I must say that the next game v Cardiff, Saturday week is assuming massive importance.

If we lose by a big margin (as we did both games against them last season) then Millen is gone I am sure.

Either a respectable draw (possible) or even a win (unlikely) will give him a few weeks to sort things out.

But, I am not optimistic

Johnson should have gone after the Cardiff debacle last year.....isnt it ironic we will all be saying the same thing next Saturday about his assistant

see you are ever the optimist and see defeat and another poor performance against cardiff as inevitable.

Success.

One word, it's that simple.

If we begin to turn things around and move forward then the 'mud', the reputation if you will, will fade and disappear.

The 'conference manager' stuff is and always was absolute nonsense. Johnson had achieved a massive amount before his time here, far too much to disrespectfully and incorrectly label him as such. He went on to achieve more and take the club to heights not seen for a generation to such an extent, that any regurgitation of such tripe should have been viewed for the narrow minded, vendetta-esque rubbish it was.

If Millen can turn things around, lead this club away from danger and up the table, much of the 'mud' will wash. However unlike Johnson before him, he does not have a track record if success (which clearly is no fault of his own) and thus if we begin to slide once more the negative feelings, having indeed stuck, will come flowing back once more.

The last 18 months has drained the optimism out of me. I've not seen one thing this season that makes me think "you know what, we are moving in the right direction".

What did those 9 years in league one do to you?

Some people really simply cannot see things for what they are.Anyway.

As for mud and sticking, the way City fans are Mud will stick, mud will dry and flake off, mud will wash off, mud will come back, mud will turn into quick sand and that will drown everything.

Everything will be overstated and exaggerated in true BCFC fashion.

At the moment the mud is building up (KM is the worst manager ever and has no managerial experience behind him, what were we thinking?), it will stick if we don't get some results soon, but as SJC mentioned, if he turns it around a bit it will flake off (maybe KM is okay, we should give him a chance), if we get to mid table it will be gone (KM took a while to settle in, things are looking good now though), if we finish mid table KM will be clean at the start of next season(now look at our form, top 6 for the last 18.3 games of the season, we could go up next year), but a poor start next season and the mud will be back and then it will be quick sand and KM will be sacked.(The form at the end of last season was luck, it was the players and had zero to do with KM).......or we have a good start and everyone will talk of promotion and tout KM as the best rookie manager in the world and suggest he become the next 'English' national team manager after Cappello.

Is footy management super?

What did those 9 years in league one do to you?

Some people really simply cannot see things for what they are.Anyway.

As for mud and sticking, the way City fans are Mud will stick, mud will dry and flake off, mud will wash off, mud will come back, mud will turn into quick sand and that will drown everything.

Everything will be overstated and exaggerated in true BCFC fashion.

At the moment the mud is building up (KM is the worst manager ever and has no managerial experience behind him, what were we thinking?), it will stick if we don't get some results soon, but as SJC mentioned, if he turns it around a bit it will flake off (maybe KM is okay, we should give him a chance), if we get to mid table it will be gone (KM took a while to settle in, things are looking good now though), if we finish mid table KM will be clean at the start of next season(now look at our form, top 6 for the last 18.3 games of the season, we could go up next year), but a poor start next season and the mud will be back and then it will be quick sand and KM will be sacked.(The form at the end of last season was luck, it was the players and had zero to do with KM).......or we have a good start and everyone will talk of promotion and tout KM as the best rookie manager in the world and suggest he become the next 'English' national team manager after Cappello.

Is footy management super?

The difference being, we tried (and failed) to get out of that league, and eveuntually we did it. By bringing in a new manager, with new ideas. We tried the promoting an inexperienced man from within route....and it failed. So why have we tried it again? more importantly, why have we tried it again with a man....who along with last seasons number , completely ran out of ideas. Seriously, its beggers belief......what can Millen offer now, that he couldnt offer when he was number 2 to Johnson??

What has sucked all the optimism from me, is the fact we have made such an obvious error in a) apponting Millen and b) not addressing areas of the squad which should have been addressed a long time ago. As Ive said on a previous post.....I posted a topic 5th August about my concerns with this squad.....all of it has come true. Why can I see it? yet the manager(s) and coaches cant??

The difference being, we tried (and failed) to get out of that league, and eveuntually we did it. By bringing in a new manager, with new ideas. We tried the promoting an inexperienced man from within route....and it failed. So why have we tried it again? more importantly, why have we tried it again with a man....who along with last seasons number , completely ran out of ideas. Seriously, its beggers belief......what can Millen offer now, that he couldnt offer when he was number 2 to Johnson??

What has sucked all the optimism from me, is the fact we have made such an obvious error in a) apponting Millen and b) not addressing areas of the squad which should have been addressed a long time ago. As Ive said on a previous post.....I posted a topic 5th August about my concerns with this squad.....all of it has come true. Why can I see it? yet the manager(s) and coaches cant??

In case you missed it in between we tried the "lets's bring in a high profile manager with experience", which is actually the main reason we are where we are currently.

In case you missed it in between we tried the "lets's bring in a high profile manager with experience", which is actually the main reason we are where we are currently.

Not really though is it. You cant exactly blame our current position completely on Coppell. Ok, it disrupted everything, but the reason we are rock bottom is all to do with the fact we play the wrong tactics, the wrong formations and havent strengthened in areas where we should have strengthened. As i said before, Millen hasnt been a passenger in recent times, I would imagine he gives his opinions on new signings, and he is/was the one responsible for coaching new, and old, players.

Millens quote 6 months was something like "sometimes its good to have a new voice on the training field......"

I just dont understand what Lansdown was thinking when he thought Millen was the man to put new life into the squad and teach them new things......when, along with GJ, he was completely out of ideas last year.

Not really though is it. You cant exactly blame our current position completely on Coppell. Ok, it disrupted everything, but the reason we are rock bottom is all to do with the fact we play the wrong tactics, the wrong formations and havent strengthened in areas where we should have strengthened. As i said before, Millen hasnt been a passenger in recent times, I would imagine he gives his opinions on new signings, and he is/was the one responsible for coaching new, and old, players.

Millens quote 6 months was something like "sometimes its good to have a new voice on the training field......"

I just dont understand what Lansdown was thinking when he thought Millen was the man to put new life into the squad and teach them new things......when, along with GJ, he was completely out of ideas last year.

Is it not fair to assume a great pre season programme, will bond new squad players with old, get the fitness at the right level and going into the first game give the team the best chance of a win on the first day. Giving the team something to build on........ Or getting that wrong, you are essentially playing catch up with players fitness, effecting players confidence and making changes because nothing is working and each defeat reduces confidence in selection and team.

Archived