IGNORED

Bristol City: Where Do We Go From Here?

red man dan

http://www.bristol247.com/2010/10/14/bristol-city-where-do-we-go-from-here/

Mr Coombes often seems to put out a good article, and I think I tend to agree with this article, although it is all rather depressing but not in a over exaggerated way unfortunately.

I do agree that the squad is there, we DO have some good quality Championship players and for some reason those who have performed at this level either for us before or elsewhere for some reason are not any more. When that happens, surely you have to look at the manager? Is it his formation, management style, his coaching set-up, tactical ideas/ability? When players of good quality do not perform, then surely one or more of the above management influences must be the reason??

England under 21 Internationals such as Rose don't come about all that often, it was the kind of signing that under GJ I was calling out for, but is Milen making the most of it? It seems not.

Millen HAS to get the Rose's, Cisse's, and Hunt's playing the football they have in the past at other clubs and no doubt should be able to play again. The Carey's and Elliots need to be inspired to play for this club as they once did, again there is no reason why they shouldn't.

In my opinion, similar to Stephen Coombe's, the talent is there and really KM has no where to hide and no excuses for bad results. Yes there has been injuries, and we have suffered for them, but we should NOT have suffered as badly as we have injuries aside this team of fit players should not be propping up the league.

http://www.bristol24...e-go-from-here/

Mr Coombes often seems to put out a good article, and I think I tend to agree with this article, although it is all rather depressing but not in a over exaggerated way unfortunately.

I do agree that the squad is there, we DO have some good quality Championship players and for some reason those who have performed at this level either for us before or elsewhere for some reason are not any more. When that happens, surely you have to look at the manager? Is it his formation, management style, his coaching set-up, tactical ideas/ability? When players of good quality do not perform, then surely one or more of the above management influences must be the reason??

England under 21 Internationals such as Rose don't come about all that often, it was the kind of signing that under GJ I was calling out for, but is Milen making the most of it? It seems not.

Millen HAS to get the Rose's, Cisse's, and Hunt's playing the football they have in the past at other clubs and no doubt should be able to play again. The Carey's and Elliots need to be inspired to play for this club as they once did, again there is no reason why they shouldn't.

In my opinion, similar to Stephen Coombe's, the talent is there and really KM has no where to hide and no excuses for bad results. Yes there has been injuries, and we have suffered for them, but we should NOT have suffered as badly as we have injuries aside this team of fit players should not be propping up the league.

We seem to be doing a "Reading" from last season! They struggled with decent players, but woeful management, they then dismiss their manager and bring in their head scout, and suddenly everything is rosy again.

I'm not suggesting that we get rid of Keith Millen, I'm merely pointing out how good/bad an influence a coach/manager can be.

We seem to be doing a "Reading" from last season! They struggled with decent players, but woeful management, they then dismiss their manager and bring in their head scout, and suddenly everything is rosy again.

I'm not suggesting that we get rid of Keith Millen, I'm merely pointing out how good/bad an influence a coach/manager can be.

I fancied reading to do well this year, as their turn around last year was massive and I expected them to carry it on to this season. We really, on paper, are NOT even close to relegation material. KM has to turn things around, pretty soon i would say, or he WILL be gone. Personally I hope he didnt mean the comment along the lines of 'there is no where to hide, we are in a relegation fight now'. The R word should not even be mentioned to a squad such as ours, maybe he was trying to get a reaction, we shall see. Correct me if he didn't say the R word though please.

I fancied reading to do well this year, as their turn around last year was massive and I expected them to carry it on to this season. We really, on paper, are NOT even close to relegation material. KM has to turn things around, pretty soon i would say, or he WILL be gone. Personally I hope he didnt mean the comment along the lines of 'there is no where to hide, we are in a relegation fight now'. The R word should not even be mentioned to a squad such as ours, maybe he was trying to get a reaction, we shall see. Correct me if he didn't say the R word though please.

I'm pretty sure KM DID mention RELEGATION, and quite right too.

We're not only in danger of going down but an even bigger worry is being cut adrift early and going down with a whimper.

If mention of the word 'RELEGATION' brought a few of the underperformers to their senses, focussed minds, and made the players realise they already have a big fight on their hands, then I'm all for it.

You say the R word shouldn't even be mentioned to a squad such as ours, implying that City are somehow too good to go down.

Disagree, on this season's form so far we're too poor to stay up, and are heading inexorably for a 24th place finish unless we have a quick and sustained improvement.

I'm glad KM said it but unfortunately I won't be holding my breath expecting a dramatic response from the players under his leadership.

Only one paragraph is interesting and should have been the start of the article instead of filling it with empty words:

"Keith Millen must now make a straight choice, abandon his desired system and formation in favour of a more conventional setup in which the players will be comfortable, or continue to force his methods onto the team and squad safe in the knowledge that adaptation takes time, time that he most certainly does not have".

Exactly what is he trying to say?

We're not only in danger of going down but an even bigger worry is being cut adrift early and going down with a whimper.

If mention of the word 'RELEGATION' brought a few of the underperformers to their senses, focussed minds, and made the players realise they already have a big fight on their hands, then I'm all for it.

You say the R word shouldn't even be mentioned to a squad such as ours, implying that City are somehow too good to go down.

Disagree, on this season's form so far we're too poor to stay up, and are heading inexorably for a 24th place finish unless we have a quick and sustained improvement.

I'm glad KM said it but unfortunately I won't be holding my breath expecting a dramatic response from the players under his leadership.

No team is too good to go down......

"Whilst living in hope that their apparent shunning will not affect their desire on the pitch, a back four of Hunt, Carey, Stewart and McAllister, the only genuine left sided full back at the club, is all but a necessity. Kalifa Cisse, planted in front of those four, will offer protection."

I don't agree with this at all. Hunt is in no way a necessity and an incredibly slow central pairing of Stewart and Carey away at Cardiff does not fill me with much confidence at all. Where's Caulker amongst all this? Dropped to the bench?! I'd keep 5 at the back, with Carey, Caulker and Fontaine and would be looking to play Ribs rather than Hunt. (Assuming this JCR stunt is never considered an option again!)

This set-up is by no means brilliant, and could well be turned over (probably the most likely outcome) but I don't see how on earth the author of this article can justify the selection of this back 4 a necessity.

Article doesn't start off promisingly as our record is actually P10 W1 D4 L5 F8 A19, perhaps he wrote the majority of it prior to Norwich.

The article refers to the time Millen has been in charge.

And I believe I am right in saying that our record this season on the whole is P10 W1 D3 L6.

No team is too good to go down......

I am most certainly AM saying that City ARE too good to go down, your missing my point. By believing we are too good does not mean I think we can't or indeed won't go down. My point is that Millen is, at present, placing a team who on paper 'is too good to go down' at the bottom of the table and of course if the same form continues we WILL go down, that is stating the obvious. But it will not be because of the team not being good enough, per se, it will be because of a managers inability to get a team who is capable of NOT being in a relegation fight, to play to their ability.

Personally, the R word breaths negativism, creates despondency, and if you hear things spouted around you start to believe it. Yes, the players need a kick up the backside, and a fight IS ON, but I think the fight should be to prove that they are in a false position (quality wise, NOT FORM) and to stop embarrassing themselves by being at the foot of the table.

I don't think KM has that long to turn things around.

I am most certainly AM saying that City ARE too good to go down, your missing my point. By believing we are too good does not mean I think we can't or indeed won't go down. My point is that Millen is, at present, placing a team who on paper 'is too good to go down' at the bottom of the table and of course if the same form continues we WILL go down, that is stating the obvious. But it will not be because of the team not being good enough, per se, it will be because of a managers inability to get a team who is capable of NOT being in a relegation fight, to play to their ability.

Personally, the R word breaths negativism, creates despondency, and if you hear things spouted around you start to believe it. Yes, the players need a kick up the backside, and a fight IS ON, but I think the fight should be to prove that they are in a false position (quality wise, NOT FORM) and to stop embarrassing themselves by being at the foot of the table.

I don't think KM has that long to turn things around.

I would love him to turn it around but frankly i think he is already, in his heart of hearts, half way out that door.

because it's his opinion written in his article. that's why he can say that.

It's no different to me saying that Hunt is a better player than Ribeiro. That i believe to be a fact. I assume your going to tell me I'm wrong as well.

Yes I know it's his opinion, but how can he say it's a neccessity? I mean I don't agree with what he's written at all, Caulker being dropped seems ludicrous and if Carey and Stewart were in the middle we would've been ripped to pieces today as Fontaine made several excellent tackles, blocks and headers.

Archived