IGNORED

Christian Roberts Autobiography

B-Rizzle

Hi all,

I know there have been a couple of threads already on this topic and now a number of us, myself included, have actually bought the book and started reading it.

I wanted to see what other people's thoughts were as there are plenty of references to BCFC and Christian's time here.

I for one want to say how good it is that Chris has been so honest and written this book. I have found it fascinating and a helpful insight into the mindset of someone who has struggled with alcoholism.

At the same time i have also been quite concerned by some of the things that Christian mentioned in his book about BCFC. I have been a season ticket holder for 10 years now, so christian joined at the end of my first year with a season ticket. He was one of my favourite players and 'that goal' will be remembered forever. The thing i feel a little cheated on is the behaviour of the players in that time. The likes of Lee Peacock who were my heroes were mentioned to have gone on 24 hour drinking sessions, which as far as i am concerend is flippin disgraceful for someone in their position! I want to make it clear that i dont have any anger towards christian, if anything the fact that he was struggling with an addiction has meant that i have been more sympathetic towards his actions. The likes of leapy on the otherhand who i assume weren't struggling with alcohol addictions i feel more frustration towards. One of my biggest struggles with this 'drinking culture' at the time was that it was not just a few drinks after the game but '24 hour binge sessions' which is utterly over the top and irresponsible for anyone, let alone a professional athlete. And this has all happened since the turn of the century. It wasn't in the 80's but only 8-9 years ago! what was going on at our club at the time! how on earth were the players able to get away with it?

On christians first away trip with city some of the playesr smeared crap under his lamp shade in his hotel room and left the bathroom in a state. He refers to how the players used to play pranks and cut each others clothes up! this reminds me of a Mr Liam Rosenior who described this sort of treatment at the club. maybe he was picked on a bit more because his dad was a coach, but no wonder he wanted to leave. And when he came back for a trial im sure he soon realised that this place wasn't somewhere he wanted to be! People say he treated our club like dirt but im sorry i dont buy into that anymore, i think our club probably treated him like dirt!

Anyway, thats enough of a rant from me for now. These are only a couple of thoughts ive had since reading the book. What have others made of it so far? Anyone share some of my concerns?

I look forward to reading your responses...

Archived