IGNORED

What Was Proved Today

Dorset_Cider

The whole thing is down to the defence plain and simple. Stead is doing a good job up top and with Haynes and Vokes nearing full fitness we have a wealth of options up top. If we can stop letting goals in then we give ourselves a chance of some points. Stewart, Hunt, Ribs could/should all be involved Tuesday instead of Fonts, Louis and Macca. How much worse could it be?

The whole thing is down to the defence plain and simple. Stead is doing a good job up top and with Haynes and Vokes nearing full fitness we have a wealth of options up top. If we can stop letting goals in then we give ourselves a chance of some points. Stewart, Hunt, Ribs could/should all be involved Tuesday instead of Fonts, Louis and Macca. How much worse could it be?

I do not believe it's over yet but stress time is running out but hey if div 3 is calling then ........ it's calling :(

Nothing other than surprise (and brief pleasure) that we were two up at one point

Teams at the top do not give up at this level

We have to do so much better

It's not over yet!

Thoughts?

Not only do our team give up when they go behind, they give up when they're 2-0 up. :disapointed2se:

A depressing thought, but true.

Three clubs have to go down. Which three clubs do people think are stronger candidates for the drop than us, and why?

I hate to say it but I think we will go down if we don't make a change.

It's fine to be down near the bottom but with the game plan and players to get out of it. I mean nobody expects Liverpool to finish in the bottom three.

BUT

We have a novice manager, with no experience to rely on and who is showing no clue how to get out of it. I mean playing that idiot at left back every week despite the fact every attack shows him to be the sub-standard player he is. Moving possibly our slowest player to right back, and not changing things around at the back despite the fact we are torn to shreds week in, week out.

Well sorry but its those trips to Oldham and Rovers calling again gents.

Thought we looked ok going forward against Cardiff and quite a few of the players seemed to be really getting stuck in but our defence is so poor we are always likely to be undone by poor defending /mistakes.Macca and Carey were so exposed as our two fullbacks the centre of defence had no chance of keeping Cardiff at bay for the 90 mins . Anyone who didnt rate Orr as a player is now probably wishing he was still here .

In answer to the ops question.

Today proved to me that our tactics were awful and that one fundamental rule of how to win/ not lose a football match, is not in any coaching manual that Millen has ever read: if you have the ball the opposition can't score!

So why everytime we had it at the back did we lump it forward aimlessly and lose possesion and invite pressure, complete and utter madness!

In answer to the ops question.

Today proved to me that our tactics were awful and that one fundamental rule of how to win/ not lose a football match, is not in any coaching manual that Millen has ever read: if you have the ball the opposition can't score!

So why everytime we had it at the back did we lump it forward aimlessly and lose possesion and invite pressure, complete and utter madness!

I said exactly this yesterday, the team lack the brain power to hold on to the ball, feign injury, slow the game down at the right time. What we have is the headless chicken approach of WHOOOOOSH it up the pitch and hope that aimless punt will get lucky once in a while. If you are a player at City and are looking at the bench for guidance and all you can see is the manager standing there with the clipboard in hand, occasionally gesturing, nothing will change. This has to be the quietest bunch of players and management we've had. Opposition coaches are on their feet bellowing instructions constantly, it shows passion, which being a passionate sport it should show through in spades.

Agreed Screech.

I find it odd that on a paper at least we have a decent footballing squad yet struggle to find tactics to suit the players, we seem to be playing to the strength of one player (Stead) and not to the likes of Rose, Adomah, Haynes all lightening fast who can beat a man.

The players are there (except a consistant creative midfielder) but the system and motivation is not, the manager isn't doing his job.

I said exactly this yesterday, the team lack the brain power to hold on to the ball, feign injury, slow the game down at the right time. What we have is the headless chicken approach of WHOOOOOSH it up the pitch and hope that aimless punt will get lucky once in a while. If you are a player at City and are looking at the bench for guidance and all you can see is the manager standing there with the clipboard in hand, occasionally gesturing, nothing will change. This has to be the quietest bunch of players and management we've had. Opposition coaches are on their feet bellowing instructions constantly, it shows passion, which being a passionate sport it should show through in spades.

you are so right...we can't string two passes together without losing possession so in the end just lump it forward - yesterday to Haynes too many times who just got knocked off the ball far too easily...we make life so hard for ourselves it's untrue. The only shouting going on the pitch yesterday was between Carey and James. There is no motivation coming from the bench - just Millen with arms folded and Wigley nowhere to be seen - it's all too quiet out there, there are no leaders on the pitch or at the dugout. Can't fault the lads for effort as they are trying to turn things around but we miss players like Hartley and even Clarkson who do have an eye for the game and can create some inspiration on the field.

Agreed Screech.

I find it odd that on a paper at least we have a decent footballing squad yet struggle to find tactics to suit the players, we seem to be playing to the strength of one player (Stead) and not to the likes of Rose, Adomah, Haynes all lightening fast who can beat a man.

The players are there (except a consistant creative midfielder) but the system and motivation is not, the manager isn't doing his job.

Some very good points but not sure how rose qualifies as lighting fast. Seems more qick footed and tricky than fast. Not seen him out do anyone for pace as yet.

Some very good points but not sure how rose qualifies as lighting fast. Seems more qick footed and tricky than fast. Not seen him out do anyone for pace as yet.

Sorry should have said lightening fast OR can beat a man, the points the same though, it's madness and if a thicko like me with no footballing qualifications or badges can see it then iam baffled and rightly pissed off that Millen can't, hard times.

Looks like we need to score 4 goals every game to have a chance of sneeking the win

Sadly I think the point of going ahead and still not being able to hold on to a lead has been made, along with some other very good points.

If we got four they would get five with the way things are at present.

you are so right...we can't string two passes together without losing possession so in the end just lump it forward - yesterday to Haynes too many times who just got knocked off the ball far too easily...we make life so hard for ourselves it's untrue. The only shouting going on the pitch yesterday was between Carey and James. There is no motivation coming from the bench - just Millen with arms folded and Wigley nowhere to be seen - it's all too quiet out there, there are no leaders on the pitch or at the dugout. Can't fault the lads for effort as they are trying to turn things around but we miss players like Hartley and even Clarkson who do have an eye for the game and can create some inspiration on the field.

Hear hear - especially bits in bold! How many times did we give ball straight back to them from our throw in?? No leaders nor anyone who can put a decent tackle in - so much for needing a creative midfielder, we need someone who can bloomin tackle!!!! How many times did Olofinjana just skip through the middle of the pitch??

Was very disapointed with saturdays performance.

David James was great and kept us in it , he kept trying to play the ball short to either McAllister (who for once was OK) or Carey (who was awful)and just wasn't interested and lumped every ball he didn't manage to avoid.

We descended in to long ball channel football which meant that Rose and Adomah were effectivly out of the game, Elliot and Skuse just weren't capable of matching Cardiff's midfield and were second in virtually every tackle, that is when they got close enough to the ball to tackle.

Stead was great and Haynes kept trying, but is of course not suited to channel football.

For the second Cardiff goal Carey dropped to deep bringing the whole Cardiff front line in to James's six yard box and he gave away a stupid foul for the free kick which led to the third (and yes it should have been offside)

Let's be honest we got two early goals from set pieces, but after that Cardiff on another day could of got another six.

As to going forward I would stick with James, then Caulker and Fontaine in defence, and look to replace Carey with Ribeiro and McAllister with Nyatanga as both these two can play football.

As to Midfield I would keep Rose, Elliot or Skuse and bring Adomah in to the middle placing any one from JCR, Sproule or Haynes on the right

Up front (with Maynard out) Stead plus one from the other multitude of forwards now on the books

As to Millen....................I think he is too much of an insider and we now need a new broom to sweep out some of the established players in the squad

Was very disapointed with saturdays performance.

David James was great and kept us in it , he kept trying to play the ball short to either McAllister (who for once was OK) or Carey (who was awful)and just wasn't interested and lumped every ball he didn't manage to avoid.

We descended in to long ball channel football which meant that Rose and Adomah were effectivly out of the game, Elliot and Skuse just weren't capable of matching Cardiff's midfield and were second in virtually every tackle, that is when they got close enough to the ball to tackle.

Stead was great and Haynes kept trying, but is of course not suited to channel football.

For the second Cardiff goal Carey dropped to deep bringing the whole Cardiff front line in to James's six yard box and he gave away a stupid foul for the free kick which led to the third (and yes it should have been offside)

Let's be honest we got two early goals from set pieces, but after that Cardiff on another day could of got another six.

As to going forward I would stick with James, then Caulker and Fontaine in defence, and look to replace Carey with Ribeiro and McAllister with Nyatanga as both these two can play football.

As to Midfield I would keep Rose, Elliot or Skuse and bring Adomah in to the middle placing any one from JCR, Sproule or Haynes on the right

Up front (with Maynard out) Stead plus one from the other multitude of forwards now on the books

As to Millen....................I think he is too much of an insider and we now need a new broom to sweep out some of the established players in the squad

Ah yes the Millen Factor....... a constant in how many years now?

I'm personally not convinced either way despite our poor form, should we really allow him to be torn him apart by the wolves......... is it really all his fault. Yes he is accountable as manager but.

I think it fair to say that the performances of our team over a number of managers seems to indicate to me that certain players(?) in the dressing room might still be very disruptive because they think they know best.

Or maybe that is not the case at all because we have many new players, but something is still not right. This could just be the whole of the coaching staff or individual players but certainly not just the manager?

Either way the broom is tempting or a Christmas BBQ .........

What say you fella?

Archived