IGNORED

Adomah - Should He Have Been Subbed?

Maesknoll Red

• Admin

As the title says, should he? He looked to be knackered and he certainly didn't get to the ball as well as he did in the first hour or so, I thought at one time he was looking to the bench, so was surprised to see Haynes go off. Adomah did run his sox off, but as a professional, should he be able to do it for 90 mins?

He wasn't the only player to look knackered, lets hope Friday night isn't a game too soon after that massive effort put in tonight.

As the title says, should he? He looked to be knackered and he certainly didn't get to the ball as well as he did in the first hour or so, I thought at one time he was looking to the bench, so was surprised to see Haynes go off. Adomah did run his sox off, but as a professional, should he be able to do it for 90 mins?

He wasn't the only player to look knackered, lets hope Friday night isn't a game too soon after that massive effort put in tonight.

Adomah was running the touchline in front of me in the second half and he was knackered after an hour.. stamina definitely not his strongest asset! But I'm sure he can work on that.

I can't understand why he was kept on, was Millen hoping he would get a second wind? I would have moved JCR out to the right and brought on Rose because, not only did a tired Albert mean we caused them a lot less problems going forward but it also meant there was nobody covering Carey when Reading came at us. Not saying Albert didn't stop trying, of course he didn't, but it was an obvious sub really and I can't believe Millen didn't see it.

World said he had a back injury went off for a few minutes to get treated then was later subbed.

Who?

Adomah should definitely have been subbed, it looked as if he was asking the bench to take him off.

It put more pressure on Carey who also had their fresh number 19 to cope with and he was ineffective as an attacking option for 20/25 minutes.

Could easily have lost us the game, I just don't understand why he didn't take him off.

Albert was dead on his feet after 65 minutes and obviously needed subbing, I was boggled that we didn't.

Correct. With the excess of wingers that we have i was very surprised we didn't switch it around.

I still say that Adomah is better up front.

Great win tonight, Johnson made all the difference...

• Admin

Think there were a few needing the rest but I think with Albert you know he'll never stop trying whereas JCR might not run himself into the ground quite as much.

JCR pulled up and immediately signalled the bench to take him off, hamstring tweak? But Haynes didn't look as knackered as Adomah.

Maybe he did look knackered but he was well entitled to be. There were times tonight that he look terrifying and had two or three men on him - I don't think I've seen someone run at a defence with that much pace for a long time. Say what you want about Coppell but the signing of Albert was a very good thing indeed.

As he has all season he ran his socks off and should have been subbed to save him for friday, i then think he looked like he picked up a knock. But then Millen isn't very good at watching what is happening on the field so his subs are usually suspect.

Better display tonight from the boys, but don't think we have turned the corner just yet.

If Albert had been on the other side of the pitch he'd have been off straight away as the bench would have spotted it. He gestured once and no one seemed to notice and then he kind of occupied his position for the last half an hour as opposed to doing anything useful either with or without the ball. Most of the Dolman could see it. It shows his lack of experience in a way. An older head might have gone down and got treatment, and let the physio know what was wrong. He just carried on, even though it was obvious he was suffering.

I'm not sure if Ivan on the bench. He could've slaughtered their left back who looked well dodge.

If Albert had been on the other side of the pitch he'd have been off straight away as the bench would have spotted it. He gestured once and no one seemed to notice and then he kind of occupied his position for the last half an hour as opposed to doing anything useful either with or without the ball. Most of the Dolman could see it. It shows his lack of experience in a way. An older head might have gone down and got treatment, and let the physio know what was wrong. He just carried on, even though it was obvious he was suffering.

I'm not sure if Ivan on the bench. He could've slaughtered their left back who looked well dodge.

The funny thing was they took Harte (the aging left back) off for Howard who's a central midfielder and went three at the back mainly, so someone with fresh legs down that side could have had even more of a field day than Adomah did against Harte.

Sproule wasn't on the bench but Haynes or JCR could have gone out there and Rose or Pitman come on for Adomah.

Say what you want about Coppell but the signing of Albert was a very good thing indeed.

Thank you - I will. Coppell is a spineless walk out merchant.

Adomah was the product of active scouting the previous season (Pete Johnson), rather than the find of a new manager who did not bother to take up the reigns until pre season and had no reason to be trawling the lower leagues prior to that.

It was quite amusing every time we were about to make a substitution Albert walked towards the bench expecting to be subbed, by the final one he almost looked as though he was pleading to be taken off!

He was dead on his feet, Carey (the captain, the one that doesnt act like a captain according to some on here) had to keep geeing him up to keep him going, fair play that in between rests he managed to at least put their defenders under pressure in the final few minutes. The coaching staff need to work on his stamina.

He wasnt the only one though, several players were struggling towards the end, from the sheer effort and hard work and commitment they put in. Fair play to every single one of them.

It was quite amusing every time we were about to make a substitution Albert walked towards the bench expecting to be subbed, by the final one he almost looked as though he was pleading to be taken off!

He was dead on his feet, Carey (the captain, the one that doesnt act like a captain according to some on here) had to keep geeing him up to keep him going, fair play that in between rests he managed to at least put their defenders under pressure in the final few minutes. The coaching staff need to work on his stamina.

He wasnt the only one though, several players were struggling towards the end, from the sheer effort and hard work and commitment they put in. Fair play to every single one of them.

Suprised nobody noticed him take a knock on the knee (i think) on about 60 minutes, he tried to run through a player (like on fifa) and collided with him, and from that point he seemed to be a bit wary of sprinting full whack... I thought he loosened up again in the final 5 minutes and maybe ran the injury off?

I certainly attributed his decrease in mobility to that at the time.

Suprised nobody noticed him take a knock on the knee (i think) on about 60 minutes, he tried to run through a player (like on fifa) and collided with him, and from that point he seemed to be a bit wary of sprinting full whack... I thought he loosened up again in the final 5 minutes and maybe ran the injury off?

I certainly attributed his decrease in mobility to that at the time.

He wasn't limping or favouring one leg though, and didn't get treatment even after the final whistle, he just stopped moving whenever he didn't absolutely have to and stopped closing down. I thought he was shattered which was not a big surprise given the amount of sprinting he'd done in the first hour. Stead and Carey both noticed and tried to avoid putting him in possession.

He wasn't limping or favouring one leg though, and didn't get treatment even after the final whistle, he just stopped moving whenever he didn't absolutely have to and stopped closing down. I thought he was shattered which was not a big surprise given the amount of sprinting he'd done in the first hour. Stead and Carey both noticed and tried to avoid putting him in possession.

I did notice him limp a little, there again so was Carey for much of the first half.

It doesn't change the fact that it was noticeable that he should have been replaced... Was odd to see us only have one winger on the bench...

we did all notice him pretty much begging to be subbed... suprised he didnt actually signal, Guess he just doesnt want to look like he doesn't care?

I love him though, when he is on the pitch we always have a chance of creating something. Best signing from the lower leagues in years!

• Admin

Carey as Captain, should surely have been liasing between the player and the bench if Adomah wasn't fit to continue at 100% (or even 90%), I assume that Stead went off to get the ovation and save him for Friday, I didn't see him struggling, why not leave him on and take off the player who was giving all the signs of wanting to be subbed.

Perhaps all of those on this thread, myself included, have their assumptions wrong, maybe Carey, Adomah and the Manager were satisfied with his performance and ability to last the 90 mins, although it seemed to myself and many sat around me, he was done in.

This isn't being critical after a hard fought, deserved win, just an observation and one I would really be interested in hearing the Managers perspective on, maybe Stead had a knock, JCR definitely pulled up and I didn't notice that Haynes had treatment for a back injury - mooted in the thread. So maybe leaving a non injured, but knackered player on, was better thanleaving a non knackered but injured player to face the expected Reading pressure.

Archived