IGNORED

Warnock Or Millen ?

foghornred

:city: I know that we can not stand the bloke but looking at the tactics I would rather have Warnock than Millen.

MILLEN WARNOCK

Defending Corners Everyone back Leave 2 up front

Subs Winger off/defencive midfielder on Midfielder off/center forward on

Formation 442 to 451 442 to 433

Attitude Defencive Attacking

Final result Pleased with a draw Dissapointed with a draw

Position Bottom of championship Top of championship

When Steve Copell came to the club one of the things that won me over was his quote "The best way to defend a one goal lead is to score another one ":worship2:

:city: I know that we can not stand the bloke but looking at the tactics I would rather have Warnock than Millen.

MILLEN WARNOCK

When Steve Copell came to the club one of the things that won me over was his quote "The best way to defend a one goal lead is to score another one ":worship2:

Interesting post. Completely agree with the stats. I said on a previous post that for the last part ot Tuesday's game there was one team trying to win and one team trying not to lose. Big difference!! I admire Warnocks passion but like Ollie, would not expect to ever see him in charge here. However they are both (in my opinion) better tacticians than Millen.

MILLEN WARNOCK

Surely Colin's tactics were chosen because they were trailing. They were trailing thanks to Millen's tactics (i.e. soaking up pressure and hitting them on the break). If we were trailing, we wouldn't have switched to a 4-5-1. I don't really see the point you're trying to make. Using a worship smiley after Copout's name is ridiculous. He totally screwed up our preparations for the season. Where's the w***** smiley, when you need one?

Surely Colin's tactics were chosen because they were trailing. They were trailing thanks to Millen's tactics (i.e. soaking up pressure and hitting them on the break). If we were trailing, we wouldn't have switched to a 4-5-1. I don't really see the point you're trying to make. Using a worship smiley after Copout's name is ridiculous. He totally screwed up our preparations for the season. Where's the w***** smiley, when you need one?

Colin changed his tactics when they were trailing and they scored. Millen changed his tactics when we were leading and we conceded. Simps.

Colin changed his tactics when they were trailing and they scored. Millen changed his tactics when we were leading and we conceded. Simps.

So you think at 1 up, that we should have gone 'all out attack'? You're also only analysing part of the game. We drew 1 all and could have won, but for a lack of concentration from a corner. If Warnock got it spot-on, why didn't the league leaders beat the bottom club?

Millens tactics were the superior, we defended from the front by using Stead and Haynes in slighly wider positions and Colins only answer was to throw the kitchen sink in for the last 15 minutes. He was lucky it paid off. We are still bottom and needed a result from last night for our confidence, he did the right thing in trying to defend our position. We actually got more of the ball and pressed further forward after Cisse came on so the idea we were defensive is totally wrong.

Millens tactics were the superior, we defended from the front by using Stead and Haynes in slighly wider positions and Colins only answer was to throw the kitchen sink in for the last 15 minutes. He was lucky it paid off. We are still bottom and needed a result from last night for our confidence, he did the right thing in trying to defend our position. We actually got more of the ball and pressed further forward after Cisse came on so the idea we were defensive is totally wrong.

:city: Using Stead wider ? At times he was playing left back !

Also Howard came on for QPR as a reaction to that Millen brought Cisse on an attacking move by Qpr and a defencive one by city.

Do you really feel comfortable watching us trying to defend a 1-0 lead for 30+ mins? It cost us so many points last season and 2 points on tuesday. We have to agree to disagree on this one but hey, thats what this forums all about.

I'm pretty sure the majority of fans wanted at least 4 points from these 2 games which we did. Some fans thought we were going to get battered by qpr. But we didn't. I don't see why some people are complaining millen's the manager and he decided what formation we play and who plays. I thought he got the tactics spot on Friday. Stead was playing more of a wide left role to help macca with walker and mackie. I see no problem with that, and if it wasn't for a lack of concentration for the corner we'd all be happy and saying millen's a genius

Do you really feel comfortable watching us trying to defend a 1-0 lead for 30+ mins? It cost us so many points last season and 2 points on tuesday. We have to agree to disagree on this one but hey, thats what this forums all about.

After some of the defending this season, yes I'm happy for us to prioritise defence over attack, particularly when we are winning. Of couse, it doesn't make for comfortable viewing, but it's a means to an end. We played 2 very good teams in the space of 4 days and came away with 4 points. I think this season is different to last, as our main priority is to get out of the bottom 3 at the moment. We won on Tuesday by the way, we didn't draw.

If Haynes was more clinical, we would have got that 2nd goal and won the game, the tactics were fine for the most part, as we can break extremely quickly if our defence holds strong. Before the two games this week, we were conceding goals before we could even muster the counter attack, with a bit of luck and better defensive performance overall, we've managed to get two good results against two good sides.

:city: Using Stead wider ? At times he was playing left back !

Also Howard came on for QPR as a reaction to that Millen brought Cisse on an attacking move by Qpr and a defencive one by city.

Howard actually came on for Reading on Tuesday night.........

MILLEN WARNOCK

Millen has been trying to stop the leakage of goals

The whole stat stuff from the OP is all down to which team is winning or losing at the time of the corners,subs etc etc.

Or his he telling us that when Warnock is winning 1-0 with ten mins to go he leaves two up front on defensive corners, and puts on a striker for a defender at the same. !!!

Agreed PB....

Comparisons like this.. re tactic analysis etc can never be truly fair ( you have to take into account the personel etc available on the day of the game to each manager, individual qualities of your subs etc etc)

If taking a fairly evenly matched two sets of players though I guess a post match comparison of this sort could still only have a degree of fairness when the result is a 0-0 draw (ie both managers have been in a similar position for the entire 90mins)

Then as you say PB, a statistiscal analysis of superior tactics by either manager could possibly be made using stats for: Corners for/against, Goal attempts on/off target, % possession split, Offsides etc (making up an overall picture) .. those kind of things albeit non goal producing could give a fairish comparison of which manager employed the better tactics on the day.. I think thats only possible in a like for like situation though. Once one team are in front & one behind then each manager / team is playing a different game & tactics used will obviously be different too - making tactic comparison pretty much useless.

I would love us to be near the top, playing with confidence and looking to win every game. What I see is a team heading in the right direction and building to that kind of performance. In the meantime, I would expect KM to do everything to get us an unbeaten run going so I was happy with the tactics Friday.

I would love us to be near the top, playing with confidence and looking to win every game. What I see is a team heading in the right direction and building to that kind of performance. In the meantime, I would expect KM to do everything to get us an unbeaten run going so I was happy with the tactics Friday.

I want the same as you and I know it will take time but I still think we could have had all 3 points Friday if we had not gone so defensive for the last 30mins. If they bring on an attacker for a midfielder it means they are sacrificing their defence for attack. We did not need to bring on an extra defender for a forward we just needed to replace a tired forward with someone with fresh legs to stretch their weakened defence. We had plenty of options on the bench.

Millen got it spot on IMO. Should have made more subs, but the counter-attack is the best way for City to play when they know they are going to be under the cosh.

You guys may or may not be aware we have the fastest squad in the division (according to FM11), unleashing that pace on the counter worked perfectly for us on Friday and had DH had his shooting boots we would have been 3 or 4 up by the end of the 1st Half.

Everyone needs to chillax, i doubted Millen for a long time, but after the last 3 games i think he has finally established his 'winning formula'. City to finish off in the playoffs, i wouldn't be against it!

I want the same as you and I know it will take time but I still think we could have had all 3 points Friday if we had not gone so defensive for the last 30mins. If they bring on an attacker for a midfielder it means they are sacrificing their defence for attack. We did not need to bring on an extra defender for a forward we just needed to replace a tired forward with someone with fresh legs to stretch their weakened defence. We had plenty of options on the bench.

Millens tactics worked perfectly.

The fact that QPR could not score from open play proves that he did the right thing. Their goal came from a corner, and whether our formation at the time was 4-4-2, 4--5-1, 4-3-3, 4-2-4 or 9-1-1 (you get my point..) it wouldn't have made any difference at the corner.

We could have kept it at 4-4-2, with Johnson and Elliott in midfield and they could have easily picked off a couple goals, by waltzing through our midfield. Before Cisse was brought on, we were starting to see QPR play through us.

Archived